“Very comfortable,cozy cottage” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wildwood,NJ
“Very comfortable,cozy cottage”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

Ross and Jeff, the owners of this cozy little beach cottage, made our 10 day stay on Kauai extremely comfortable and fun. The cottage was immaculate and tastefully decorated. They provide all you need to cook or pack yourself a picnic. Beach gear was provided as well as a cooler and cold packs. The bed was comfortable with great pillows and soft linens. We made use of the Scrabble board and cards most nights, and we were within walking distance of great affordable restaurants and nightlife. It is a short walk to a pretty beach as well.
Ross and Jeff are gracious and friendly hosts who gave local "insider" tips of things to do on this beautiful island beginning with my initial phone inquiry. There is a big mango tree on the property with delicous fruit to eat. We fell asleep each night to the sound of the wind blowing through the trees outside our bedroom window. Even though there is another cottage next door, it was very private and romantic. There is a construction project next door which is almost complete, and except for a few sounds in the morning, it was unobtrusive. I would return here and recommend this property highly.
Diane M

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Creswell, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

A pair of friends and my husband and I stayed in these two rental cottages at the end of February 2009. We had a wonderful stay!

Ross and Jeff have equipped these cottages with every possible thing that you could need on vacation: games, mosquito repellent, beach chairs, an umbrella, boogie boards, first aid items, you name it. It makes it so nice to go on vacation and not worry about every little thing.

The location of the cottages is excellent. You are only a few steps from a lovely beach, and also within walking distance of numerous restaurants and shops. We waited too long to get our rental car, but it didn't really matter for the first couple of days because it was so easy to walk to everything.

Jeff and Ross have prepared a binder in each cottage with lots of great information. The cottages also have high speed wireless internet, which is so important to me when traveling because I often have business items to get done in the mornings and evenings.

The cottages are furnished with comfortable furniture, and the larger one looks small from the outside, but has cathedral ceilings on the inside and feels very spacious. I loved the window seat in the larger cottage - a perfect place to curl up with a book. The cottages are also immaculate.

We loved Kauai. Jeff warned us that six days was barely enough, and he was right. They went by way too quickly! The weather was wonderful with trade breezes keeping it just the right temperature.

Oh, and did I mention that the best mango I've ever had in my life was from the tree right outside these cottages, which has such a lovely garden?

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2009

Overdelivered... This was the cleanest place we've ever stayed at! The house was spotless, every little detail had been thought of, very impressive! The owners were super hospitable and very helpful in every way imaginable. We have been telling our friends and family about this place since we got back, and we're not paid to say these things! WIll definately go back!

Sona, Los Angeles

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Small TV
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

We recently spent 3 weeks travelling around Hawaii's islands and really loved our week's stay at 17 Palms Kauai. Ross and Jeff provided great service every step of the way. They took the time to talk to us on the phone about our trip before we booked, called on arrival to make sure everything was ok, and also provided great local tips for places to eat and must see beaches. We had such a lovely, relaxing time in Kauai, loved the self contained and beautifully decorated accommodation, felt safe and secure, had our own car spot right outside the villa, fruit trees in the garden and guide books to help us plan our day trips.
The fridge was even stocked with tasty treats and handy condiments, which made bbq'ing even better. I would absolutely recommend 17 Palms to anyone considering a trip to Kauai. Perfect for couples of any age or a small family, close to the beach and everything else you could wish for during your island holiday.
Thanks again Ross and Jeff, 17 Palms is 5 star.

• Liked — Interior decor and cleanliness
  • Disliked — near construction site
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

I was lucky enough to stay in both of the homes and both were great. Meli Meli was better than home. I spent a week there with my parents and I loved watching my father reading in the over-sized window seat. The Shanghai kitsch decor was very enjoyable for a designer.

The owners made themselves very available but un-obtrusive and you could tell that their homes were carefully tended. Everything you might need is there and I have never stayed in a place so clean and well maintained. It is a cliche...but you can feel the love.

Hale Iki feels like a tree house. I loved the light and openness and birds (if you put out food!). It is simpler and feels a little less private than Meli Meli but for a single or couple it is a treat.

The location is very central to the Island with dining and the beach within minutes walking distance.

Overall my main memory is of comfort and peace and joy. Joy at giving my parents a taste of the complicated pleasure that is Hawai'i

(Except for those roosters....but they are inescapable in Kauai and become a feature in and of themselves.)

I would return in a heart beat.
A big Mahalo to Ross and Jeff

• Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

When my wife and I were planning our honeymoon she decided she liked the feel of 17 Palms -- and she was spot on with her choice -- the two cottages are situated perfectly on the island and easy to find. I found it at night on the first try, first time on the island -- heck, getting to the rental car place and getting the care sorted out was tougher AND more time consuming. Considering our flight was delayed a bit by head winds and we landed after 9pm I can not say how nice it was to have a quick and easy trip to the place we where staying. Add to this the short walk down a path to the beach from the back gate and my wife and I where standing on a beautiful beach at sunrise the next morning, looking out over the Pacific. The location was perfect, as next to shops, restaurants and a couple of great beaches -- as well as a local shop that can set you up with all the surfboards and other gear you could ever need. My wife and I did make the trip up both sides of the main highway to the end and we had some great experiences but honestly you could have a great trip with just what was in walking distance. If you do get a car for your stay you will have your own parking space right outside the your door, easy for loading and unloading. The interior (we stayed in the larger of the two cottages) was splendid, with very comfortable beds and an excellent kitchen that we put to good use cooking some great food from the local farmers markets and other stores. The washer and dryer were great to have -- we flew over with just a carry-on each and enjoyed not having to wait for luggage to show up or worry about it getting lost. Finally, I can't say enough about the owners. They where very nice, very helpful, and were easy to reach if something came up or even if we wanted some advice about where to get a good lunch. My wife and I are looking forward to a return trip to 17 Palms -- there is so much to see and do and explore you could spend a ton of time and never tire of this beautiful island, especially when you can set out from and return to a home away from home like 17 Palms.

Mahalo!
Ehren and Sheila

• Liked — Home away from home!
  • Disliked — No AC, but the fans did just fine so that's just nitpicking really.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2008

My first thought is the cottages are a slice of heaven.
Furnished beautifully, it would be difficult to find something you might need for your stay. The owners have put your comfort at the top of the priority list.
There is a book with all the tours and places of interest included. Something nice to read when you aren't cramped in a car trying to find your way there.
If you go out the back door, you are a short block to the beach. Going out the front door will take you to the Coconut Market. Trust me ladies, there is clothing there you will not find in the states. Have fun shopping.
When you stay at the cottages, you actually feel as if you live there and not just another tourist. We just don't think we could stay in a hotel again when visiting Kauai.

Stayed March 2008

Been to 17 Palms Kauai? Share your experiences!