“Horseback riding in the mountains was awesome.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #35 of 69 Activities in Kapaa
Type: Horseback Riding Stables, Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: Esprit De Corps Riding Academy offers the complete horses experience. Beginners through advanced riders learn about Kauai, horses, and themselves while enjoying the beauty of Kauai. Small group Eco-tour trail rides, lessons in a covered arena, and weddings on horseback.
Delaware, Ohio
“Horseback riding in the mountains was awesome.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

If you are a trail rider then this is the place to go. There are rides in the mountains from 2 hours to all day. They really tried to match up horse and rider based on riding ability. They gave a short riding lesson to test skill. Groups with more advanced skill levels were allowed to move at a faster pace than a walk so it was more like a true trail ride. The guide was super nice and knowledgeable about horses and Kauai. The scenery in the mountains was spectacular. This will be a regular part of my vacation each time I visit Kauai.

Columbus, Ohio, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Fun on the run”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

Wow, this was fun! Our guide was great.She likes to tailor the tour to what the folks want and we wanted to run. My daughter didn't have much experience so she showed her how to canter and hung back with her while we ran ahead on the racetrack. It was great. We got to see beautiful scenery, had a history lesson, and she pointed out what areas the movies were made in. I can't wait to go back and do a faster all day tour. They provided boots and helmets for us and gave us time to get familiar/comfortable with the horses. My horse like to run....he would hang out in back and when there was a distance between my daughters horse and us, he would run up closer. It was funny. I didn't even have to coax him to run. This was a great ride. The stable was pretty muddy but they warned us ahead of time. Also, this is not a glamour stable so if you want a fancy stable, go elsewhere. If you want a great ride in the inner part of the island, this is the place for you....

Illinois
4 attraction reviews
“Great Ride - Memories for Life!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

What a wonderful time my 12-year-old son & I had. It was an experience that neither of us will ever forget, and one that included spirited riding, wonderful vistas and the thoroughly enjoyable company of our guide, Jaime. She was knowledgeable, engaging and both warm and professional. The ride can be (and was) tailored to our riding level, with calm, responsive horses and boots provided! They also had helmets (we brought our own) and even jeans (which we wore). You'll need long pants and a camera - that's about it! Thanks again Jaimie!

Chicago, Illinois
“Good family run business, not your average ride”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

We did the Taste of Kauai ride- it had been about 15 years since I had been on a horse. When I made the reservation they asked us specific questions about our experience and comfort level so they could match us with the best horse. Definitely park on the top of the driveway! The driveway is long and almost 45 degrees at some points! It had rained A LOT the week before we were there so it was pretty muddy at the stables so wear older clothes! Also, make sure to wear bug spray- that was the one thing that they didn't tell us on the phone and I got about 15 bites on the ride! We had Lisa as our guide (it was just the two of us and her) she's VERY nice and talkative- she'll talk all afternoon if you let her! She had lots of info to tell us about the island history and floral and fauna. The horses were fairly well behaved, I had a little problem keeping mine from nibbling from every bush that he came across but he was pretty responsive besides that. It was REALLY hot when we were there so he wasn't feeling like he wanted to canter but my husbands horse didn't have any qualms about it. I was very impressed that we were allowed to trot and canter on the trail, this is definitely not a nose to tail ride! Lisa was more than happy to take some pictures of us with our cameras on the ride. This is a fairly small operation without any fancy buildings at the stables, the "office" is just a one room building with a lean-to for the equipment and an outhouse for last minute bathroom trips. But don't be fooled by the humble buildings, the horses are extremely well cared for- because they are such a small operation they really know their horses and equipment. I appreciate that they have a few older horses there that aren't ridden any more but are kept because they are a part of the family (I was also amazed to learn that it's not unusual for horses on HI to live until their 30s or 40s due to the lovely climate!) All in all, it was a nice afternoon with some great views and conversation!

Visited November 2011
Maryland
16 attraction reviews
“Great Ride for Experienced Riders!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

I picked this place based on TA reviews that said it wasn’t a “nose to tail” trail ride and it was for experienced riders (the Fast Ride). Right on both counts. Follow the directions that they send you when you make your reservations and definitely don’t try to drive down that road to their stable. Treacherous on foot. It had been raining so much that it was extremely muddy everywhere – so consider that when deciding what to wear (clothes and footwear). Lisa, our guide, was kind enough to loan me a long-sleeved shirt to put on, which was very much appreciated. They fit you for helmets and boots, and give you a pack to put your personal belongings in (take the bare minimum) and the bottle of water they give you. They only have five horses, so it’s not a large operation. The horses seem very well cared for and she knew all their idiosyncrasies, which was helpful. We rode with one other rider, who was obviously experienced (brought her own boots, gloves, etc.). It rained on us off/on the first half hour or so but then cleared up. We were able to do a fair amount of trotting and there is one spot were the horses know they get to run – and they do. They race, more like it. So that was fun. Lisa spent a lot of the trip pointing out various trees and plant life along the trail, which was really very interesting. We also saw some beautiful views, but the horses never seemed to want to stand still when you wanted to take a picture for some reason. We got there at 0830 and we finished up right after 1230 or so. Got very muddy since it was so wet out (when running the horses huge chunks of mud got on whoever wasn’t first – and it wasn’t ever me) – so make sure you wear something you don’t care about because that red dirt really doesn’t want to come out. Also be advised that there is no place to clean up, just an outhouse nearby. So don’t make plans to make any stops afterwards because you’ll not only smell like horse you’ll look like you’ve been riding one. It was fun, definitely not your typical trail ride, and I’d recommend it to anyone who is an experienced rider.

Visited November 2011