“Centrally Located Condo” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tumwater, Washington
“Centrally Located Condo”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This is my second time in two years staying here at the Plantation Hale. I stayed here for 9n days with my two friends in a one bedroom condo in Building D. I slept on the hide-a-bed couch and they slept in the room. The room was rented through a private company renting out the condo. I have divided my review up into the postives and negatives.

Postives: Location is centrally located in Kapaa-in the middle of the island, spacious, clean, renovated, comfortable, clean, laundry facilities close by, 3 pools, hot tubs available, beautiful sunsets at the beach, shopping close by, drug store in walking distance.

Negatives: Lack of Internet connection! This is a HUGE joke. They shouldn't even advertise they have Internet at all because it is non existent. You can't even get reception enough to run a wireless hotspot, because I tried. Poor cell reception by Verizon at this complex. By poor, I mean you cannot surf the Net at all or sometimes even make a call.

During both of the weekends I stayed a large Hawaiian family took over the entire pool and BBQ area. There were probably 20 people and kids who took over the whole pool area, had cake frosting fights, trashed the pool, chased multiple families off, peeing in the bushes, smoking, and made the BBQ are completely unusable for other guests. I have never seen anything like this. We called the front desk and they sent security, who did nothing. We watched as families and children were literally chased off by the ruckus.

Hot tub was too hot, one of the hot tubs jets control was inoperable, pools were freezing cold. No restaurant on site.

Final Comments: Despite the issues, this is a good value for this condo location. The grounds are very clean, but you will encounter issues that you will have to deal with. Pack your patience, but overall good location and value for the condo. I would classify the Plantation Hale as average.

Room Tip: DO NOT expect any wifi, despite what is advertised
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

The best thing about this place is the size. We were on the end, handicap accessible unit. Big bathroom and bedroom. Comfortable bed. Small kitchen and old utensils/dishes. The condo smelled very moldy too. Gave us all headaches. So glad that it had air to help cleanse the air a bit. Awesome location! If you want more modern accommodations with more amenities but without kitchen though, check out the Marriott next door.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Nelson, British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We reserved a renovated deluxe suite in July 2014 for February 2015 vacation. We asked for a suite with a view and away from the pools. We got a lower suite with a view of one of the pools (it turned out okay as the pools weren't busy and the noise was minimal).

When we first got there the suite had a bit of a smell about it, the living room, bedroom and part of the bathroom were renovated. The kitchen was older and was not as clean as we would hope and the carpet was a bit stained. The biggest disappointment was the bathtub as it looked dirty. I say looked dirty because it had a sealant on it that had staining underneath, and in some areas the sealant was coming off. We expressed our disappointment.

The manager was accommodating. The property was full, but he had another suite opening up the next day that he would show us if we wanted to change suites. In the meantime he had our current suite deep cleaned while we went to the beach. They offered to also clean the carpets, which we declined as we didn't want any more moisture. Unfortunately the tub was the way it was and they couldn't do anything about it. We viewed the other suite the following day and it was similar - the bath tub was in the same shape - so we declined and stayed in the original suite.

Basically we "lost" about 2 hours of our vacation time due to this which was an irritant but overall we received very good service following expressing our concerns.

The wifi was free but slow and at times a bit sketchy, along with a 1/2 hour long distance calling "free".

The property itself is well maintained and situated across from the beach, separated by a field, so a one minute walk. The convenience of a major drug store was nice. Lots of easy access to restaurants in the area. And the staff were fabulous.

I think the price we paid was a bit high for the accommodation but I guess we went at a peak time. I wouldn't stay here again at the same price we paid - but I would consider staying again at a lesser price.

Room Tip: The first building close to the office and the highway look like they would be high traffic noises...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

When we first checked in, we were placed in a room that did not accomodate 5 people. On our reservation, I booked a room for 5 with 2 double beds and a pull out couch. I called the front desk and they relocated us to a room that would suite our needs. Once we got settled into that room, we were looking through the drawers and cupboards to see what we had to cook with and in the untensil drawer, I found mouse droppings. We were only staying one night, so we decided not to cook anything during our stay. Later, we tried to connect to WiFi (as they advertise they have free WiFi). It was free, but the signal was so weak that on my phone, it would fluctuate between one dot and zero dots out of the 4 bars for strength. I called the front desk and they sent someone to reset the router, but unfortunately that did not make a difference. They need a major upgrade to their routers throughout the property. I don't see that happening any time soon. Other than that, the stay was average. When we checked out, I informed the front desk clerk of the mouse droppings and she said that she would have maintenance check on it, but did not offer any compensation. The beach near the condo was very nice. The pools on the property were good. I hope this review is helpful.

Room Tip: The wifi was free, but could not get a good signal strength, so it was as if it didn't exist.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at Plantation Hale. We were on Kauai visiting family but needed a hotel with a kitchen AND air conditioning. The kitchen had everything we needed to cook our meals - utensils, microwave, coffee maker etc. The air conditioner cooled off both the bedroom and living room quickly. The wifi was very slow but I expected as much from other reviews. We were in room D-12 on the second floor. The only negatives about our stay were the road noise which could be pretty loud and the floor in the kitchen was rather sticky. The washers/dryers worked well (ground floor) and we bought small packets of soap from the front desk. There are 2 hotels walking distance across the driveway which is convenient for an evening drink at the bar. I would definitely stay here again. The location is great and the front desk staff was helpful.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Vancouver Island, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed at the plantation hale suites for a second time 2 weeks in January. The location is central for any direction of travel on Kaui. We booked a pool side room and requested a 2nd floor with a king bed (very nice) which we received. The living area has a Queen sofa bed which we also utilized. This suite has been renovated. The suite has a full kitchen, no dishwasher and while its a bit dated it does the job just fine. We used the pool and hot tub daily and found both well maintained. The staff were great with a special thanks to Chyrstal and Deo for their help during our stay. Once again had a fine stay and will return. Great value.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We keep writing and reading hotel reviews but the thing we don’t get or give while doing both is perspective. Perspective means expectation and expectation is mainly based on…. You guessed: Rates!
I’ve stayed here through an Amazon local offer that included 5 nights on a Deluxe Suite plus a full size car from Dollar for less than 1k including all taxes and amenities. It was a great value deal.

During my time in Kona (Big Island) before coming here I got a heavy thumper upstairs and thanked God for leaving that behind. Little I knew I was going to be under monkeys on vacation here in Kauai. There was so much jumping and heavy walking upstairs they could indeed be monkeys. The room’s A/C was loud but it was useful to muffle the noise from upstairs.
I must say I’m a sucker for spacious rooms, specially when they include a full kitchen. Here you have a suite with a living room plus kitchen and separate bedroom and bathroom. No luxury and the kitchen cabinets plus the bathtub are starting to show its age but nothing in a bad state really.

My room had no view at all but I was closer to the loop road side than the far back as I have read reviews of many complaining about road noise, so other from my usual bad luck with upstairs neighbors I got a quiet room. Talking about upstairs be aware this place has no elevator, so if you’re carrying a lot of luggage the first (terrain) floor is your best bet.

The only big disappointment here was the Internet, which was almost as fast as the one we used to get from landline modems back in the 90’s. It was pathetic slow, unstable and wait…also blocked for download websites.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Eric N, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Aloha FredBueno,

Thank you for rating us a 4 star rating. I am glad you were able to take advantage of the Amazon promotion we were running, we are looking at running it again later this year. Yes, a lot of visitors love the design of the suites with the separate living room and full size kitchens.

Thanks again for your feedback, look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Kauai.

Mahalo,

Been to Plantation Hale Suites? Share your experiences!