“Home away from home!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 12 hotels in Kapaa
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Home away from home!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

First of all Kapaa is a great place to be because it's right in the middle if you want to explore the north side of the island as well as the south side! Kihue is only 10-15 minutes away and 45-60 minutes to Port Allen.

We booked out stay directly on their website and clicked on Packages & Specials. There's a bunch of deals there even for Kama'aina! We chose the rates for AAA and got a good deal. They also have deals for a FREE car rental, but we needed a larger vehicle. Either way the rates are very good compared to the other places we looked at.

We wanted accommodations that offered a full kitchen and this place doesn't disappoint. It was well stocked with cooking pans/pots, utensils, different sizes of dishes/cups. Based on my research, it was also the only place with full kitchens that had air conditioning. Other places only had ceiling fans. Since their was 4 adults and 2 young children, this one-bedroom with 2 double beds and large pull-out sofa fit us well.

We originally booked the basic 1-bedroom, but got an email saying we qualified to get a free room upgrade! So when we got there, we got a the new refurbished rooms with modern amenities. It was furnished very nicely with new furniture and decor. We did feel like we got a higher class room for the price of the lower ones. Only thing that wasn't upgraded was the kitchen oven but it still worked fine. We only ate out once and cooked dinner everytime so we saved a lot of money. This place even has a grill to use so we had some great steaks!

Staff was very friendly. We came earlier than check out time but they even allowed us to check in early once they had a room ready. We came to Kauai not really knowing what we wanted to do but fortunately there was a really friendly lady at the Expedia table right next to the check in desk that was extremely helpful in creating a plan for us! She showed us where all the great beaches for kids are and snorkeling locations. The pools here are tiny but we didn't come all the way to Kauai to swim in a swimming pool so it wasn't a problem. There's also coin operated washers and dryers...something fancy hotels don't have. We were able to dry out clothes before leaving so we didn't have to pack wet clothes.

Highly suggest going to Lydgate Beach Park right in front of Kamanali Playground behind the Aston Resort. There is a perfect snorkeling spot which is filled with beautiful tropical fish. The area is blocked by rocks making it perfect for young children or really anyone! Brennecke's Beach in Poipu is perfect for body boarding! I had an awesome time for a first-timer. Kids could go to Poipu Beach right next to this one. There's a surf shop in the same area with cheap rental equipment.

Plantation Hale fit us very well. It certainly wasn't a 5 star hotel, but if you want to just have a great place to stay with friendly staff, great amenities like air conditioning and a well stocked kitchen that is AFFORDABLE...this is the place to go!

Room Tip: If you get an email to SHARE your trip online, do it. You get a free room upgrade.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

469 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Wheeling, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We arrived on the late side and checked out quite early. The lady checking us in was very pleasant, and our place was really nice. We did get to use the hot tub and pool in the evening. It was a short walk to the pool and was very clean. I wish we had more time to enjoy our stay.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We stayed 2 nights here in August. This is definitely not a 5 star luxury resort--but the location is good (just north of Lihue), the place is clean, and the beds are comfortable. Our suite was facing the road and yes it is a busy road, but we really didn't even notice the noise--there are tall shrubs outside of the balcony so the view was very green. We were right next to a small but very nice swimming pool and hot tub. We were here with friends and didn't get a suite in the same building, but we were just a short walk away, which was fine. Crystal at the front desk was more than helpful--suggesting breakfast and dinner options, giving us directions, and making us feel very welcome. This accommodation was perfect for our group because most of our time spent on Kauai was doing activities--we just needed someplace to collapse at night. Would definitely stay here again. Request a ground floor suite if you are unable to carry your suitcase up stairs--no elevators.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We rented two suites as we were traveling with 3 of our adult children in the Christmas season. Each suite had one bedroom, one bathroom, a galley kitchen and living/dining room along with a balcony. There suites were well appointed. They were clean. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The pools were satisfactory. The location was excellent, near food shopping and other businesses. While not on the beach, the ocean was not a far walk, but I would not say it was a good swimming beach. That was not important to us as we were on the road exploring the island and its beaches. Beach front accommodations in my mind are overrated anyway. We don't go to Hawaii to walk out of our lodging and sit on the beach. We like to explore the island, experience Hawaii. This is a very nice place.

Now for the caveat. As there were 5 of us, we reserved two suites, requesting and being told that they would be adjacent to each other. The reservations were made the summer before our Christmas vacation. When we arrived late at night and were checking in, we were told our suites were in two separate buildings despite what we had been told. The check in staff said that they could not guarantee adjacent suites, despite what we had been told and having made early reservations. This would have had a deleterious affect on our vacation as our family would not be together. After registering my dissatisfaction at 11:30 at night, it was arranged so that our suites would be across the hall from each other. I don't understand why that could not have been done in the first place. Our vacation was saved. Other than that, this was a very nice place.

I do not recommend you stay here if you need two suites near each other. You would be taking a chance. If you only need one suite, I highly recommend this accommodation.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We spent 8 days here beginning July 30th and we were VERY pleased! We got a great rate on one of the older rooms that haven't been updated and that didn't affect us at all. Everything was clean and ready for us when we arrived. We weren't in our rooms much but we slept great at night! I read some reviews regarding road noise, but we weren't affected by this at all. The staff was great. We are not use to having housekeeping at all when we stay in condos, so having all of the condo ammenities plus housekeeping to give us clean towels and make the beds was nice. However, the daily cleaning they provide is mediocre at best. Overall an excellent place to stay! Especially for a family!

Thanks Plantation Hale for a wonderful week!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed 6 nights and were constantly delighted by the amenities such as full kitchen and entertainment center, and by the helpful staff. Especially the concierge staff, who provided useful information, and planned and booked wonderful adventures for us. The location is central to the island, about halfway between Princeville and Poipu, near plenty of shopping and restaurants. Undeveloped ocean coastline is just a short walk across an empty field, and both of them were in view from our room. We slept soundly in the quality beds. We would gladly stay again on future visits!

Room Tip: Rooms on the ocean side are further from the road.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Salt Lake City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife and I stayed at the Plantation Hale Suites from May 31st to June 5th. We had stayed the two nights prior at the Marriott Coconut Beach which is across the street from the Plantation Hale Suites. (also reviewed) On the day of check in at PHS I went early to advise that we were already in town and when ever the condo was ready we could check in. I was advised by the lady at check in that check in time was 3:00 PM which I acknowledged and said I was aware. I gave the person checking in my Confirmation number and name and she told me that I did not have a reservation. She appeared to search through her computer for some time and did not find my reservation. I was told to check back at 3:00 PM and she would find me a unit. I decided to CTC the Condo exchange company I booked though and they advised me that I did have a reservation and that they would CTC PHS to confirm it. I returned to PHS at 2:30 and waited next to the check in desk in view the the same employee I had spoken to earlier. At 2:40 PM she proceeded to check in guest that just arrived. We felt she was avoiding us. At 2:58 PM she called us over to the desk to tell us that she did have a unit and that she had not looked for our reservation in the correct place. She gave us unit D2 and we also asked for a key to the in room safe. As we were getting into our car to drive to Building D she stopped us to say that the unit we were given (D2) was being refurbished and she would find us a new one. 20 min later she assigned us to unit B12. After we got to our unit I found we did not have a key to the safe. I returned to check in to get a key and was told by another person we hadn't asked for one. Unit B12 had old cabinets that would not stay shut and a very old stove. It did work OK. After we got unpacked we turned on the TV to find only 3 channels were programed so I called check in and was told someone would be sent up right away. 1.5 hours later someone showed up asking if we had a TV issue. I asked him why it took him so long to respond and was told that they sent him to lunch first. Out stay at PHS was ok, the bed was comfortable, the bathroom was clean. As far as the unit was concerned the kitchen was the only area that desperately needed updating. As the week progressed the original check in person did apologize for the mix up at check in and we did have a great time at the beached in Kauai. I don't think I would stay at the PHS again. There are a lot nicer places to stay such as the Pono Kai resort where we stayed a previous time.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Plantation Hale Suites? Share your experiences!