“Not a Good Start...but I have High Hopes” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 12 hotels in Kapaa
San Diego
“Not a Good Start...but I have High Hopes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

My husband and I just arrived yesterday afternoon to the beautiful island of Kauai. I am born and raised in Honolulu and visit "home" quite often. We return to Oahu, of course, but I love visiting the outer islands for a true vacation (staying on Oahu is not relaxing for us as we have family obligations, as wonderful as that is, we need to just get away by ourselves every so often).

So, a trip to Kauai! I haven't been here since junior high school many moons ago. My husband has never been to this island. When an airfare sale last June popped up, I booked our flights. Now, where to stay? We take our accomodations very seriously. Where we stay is not just a place to sleep, I consider it a major part of my whole vacation experience. I like a very nice place to stay.

Coincidinkly, a promo for Plantation Hale came to my emailbox shortly thereafter. Of course I immediately turned to my fav Tripadvisor for research. Not beachfront, but that was ok with us as I knew we would have a car. Location coupled with the hotel's amenities (kitchen is such a plus for us as we like to cook bfasts and I get tired of eating out all the time) made me buy the deal, deluxe room, 5 nights and a car. Good value I thought. After buying the voucher, I called the hotel and made my reservation. I requested a 2nd floor room ocean view if possible. My main concern is quiet and I read here that the rooms facing the street were noisy with traffic and the ones facing the ocean were quieter and breezier. After that, we just waited for the next 5 months to pass.

Fast forward to yesterday.. we found the hotel just fine, only about 10 mins drive from the airport. Cute open lobby concept. We had to wait about 10 mins for the front desk to check us in as she just answered the phone. No problem. Checked us in, easy peasy, very pleasant. Went to our room. 2nd floor no elevator, a bit cumbersome but we managed. Entered room. A little stuffy but opened the patio door. Suite was very nice. Remodeled, kitchen cabinets not replaced but painted over fine, granite, new furniture, very nice. Walked into bedroom. Whoa! 2 dbl beds, not a single king. Honey, don't start unpacking yet, need to change rooms. I called the front desk and explained that we wanted a king, not 2 dbls. i was placed on hold long enough for the message tree repeated twice. I was told that there were no kings available. Long story short, I was told that I didn't request a king at booking. Hmm. Considering I called in my reservation and I was never asked king or dbl at booking (I know I would have requested a king), and the hotel had 5 months to contact me if they had a question.... I checked my email confirmation and no where is type of room listed...., and upon check-in the front desk KNEW we were a married couple, just the 2 of us, and she still sent us to a room with 2 beds without first asking us. We were informed that there were garden and pool view king rooms avail but when we walked over to that side of the property, the traffic noise was very loud, and I avoid rooms near the pool for the same noise reason.

We are definately not difficult customers. We work hard and look forward to our vacations which includes our accomodations. It is not like I booked this last minute. 5 months ago, had I been asked at time of booking what room type we wanted (I'm sure an oversight but should be addressed by management and included in their checkoff list), and more importantly, had the front desk confirmed the room type BEFORE we schelped our luggage up a flight of stairs, I wouldn't be so disappointed and annoyed.

Fastforward to now.. after a shower, dinner and a cocktail, we settled in. While not a perfect start to our stay, I think Plantation Hale so far is a very nice place. I'll do a follow up review at the end of our stay.

Room Tip: Make sure to be proactive and request the type of room you want because you may not be asked this at...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Eric N, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Aloha npeters,

I must say I was disappointed we let you down at check-in with the bedding request. I will follow up with my Assistant Manager to be sure we try and eliminate these types of things from happening in the future. I will share your feedback with our team. I sincerely apologize as we do our best to ensure that our guests are satisfied and we strive to meet and exceed their expectations. I was glad to read that you did enjoy your stay even after the mis-hap at the start of your trip.

I do hope you will return and contact myself for a reservation. Thank you for your business and your comments. It is nice to receive such a good rating and comments from a Senior Reviewer.

Mahalo

469 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We had a really great experience staying at the Plantation Hale Suites on Kauai. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The suite we had had a lot of room, with a seperate bedroom, bath, kitchen, dining and living area plus a balcony. Plenty of room for the two of us.

Everything was very clean and very nicely landscaped with plenty of free parking.

The swimming pool was just a few steps away. Free computer and internet access are availavble with a printer to print boarding passes. The airport was only 20 minutes away.

The property is next to the Coconut Marketplace so it was easy to walk next door and be able to get a good meal and find shopping as well. They even have a free Hula show on Wednesday at 5:00 PM.

We will definately return again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha Stevemeno,

I am glad you enjoyed the large one bedroom suites with separate living room & kitchen, landscaping, great staff, and free parking at the Plantation Hale Suites. Look forward to meeting you on your next trip to the Garden Island.

Mahalo....
Lake Forest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed in one of the old rooms and it was not a very nice experience since all the furniture and the room itself are outdated. Our friends stayed in one of the delux/remodeled rooms and it looks much better. The building is dark and old. That said, the location is convenient to a few grocery stores and activities. You can drive to Princeville for just about 25 minutes or to Poipu for about 30 minutes (because of the traffic) from here. Kapa'a is a very charming town and that kind of helps this hotel's rating.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Eric N, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Aloha Jeff S,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay here at the Plantation Hale Suites. Yes, I do agree the renovated units look great.

Look forward to seeing you on your next trip back to Kauai.

Mahalo,
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

This was our first trip to Kauai, we flew out for a 6 night stay after doing a drive down the Californian coast. The suites are located around about 15 minutes taxi ride from Lihue airport. It's also just off the main highway which serves the entire island.
Our check in was friendly and easy, although the service charge sting was a surprise!
We had a garden view suite in H block which was a fair walk from the main desk, especially carrying a load of bags.
The suite itself was great, it was roomy and had a lovely view out over the gardens. The beds were very comfortable and there was lots of storage space.
The maid service was super friendly and nothing was too much trouble.
There is a beach literally 5 minutes walk across a field, you can hear the ocean out on the balcony. Beaches are in abundance on Kauai so if you want to swim then look up less rocky places.
Only one negative to speak of - the grass cutting that went on for days whilst we were there. I know this is a necessity as the grounds were immaculate, but sitting poolside with the noise was just annoying!
We booked a kayaking trip via the Expedia desk advisor, who's advice was great on where we should go/what to see. The cute Coconut Marketplace just across from the main desk has a few little shops and a general store (which was wickedly expensive) if you want more variety then go the opposite direction to the little shopping centre which has a cheaper supermarket.

Overall our stay was great, we'd definitely stay again in future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha GemPepp,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay here at the Plantation Hale Suites. I will share with the staff all the postive comments from check-in to the Housekeeper that took care of you while you were here.

Thankyou for posting a good review. Look forward to seeing you the next time you are on the Garden Island.

Mahalo,
Hoolehua, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I have only been to Kauai twice, and both times I have stayed with my Ohana at Plantation Hale Suites. The service is AWESOME! The staff makes you feel like family, and are very welcoming. Kama'aina's are welcomed and there is a great sense of aloha. As for the 2 rooms that we stayed in G2 and G6, they were very clean and spacious. In my opinion, I liked G2 better because of the amenities that were offered. Both rooms had dishes supplied and had the same layout, but you could tell that the owner of G2 went the extra mile to keep their guests comfortable.

I will definitely recommend them to family and friends. The guest service agent named Noe was very helpful in accommodating my ohana, and making sure our arrangements were confirmed and prepared.

Room Tip: Rooms located in the rear of the G building is close to the laundry room, and I noticed that there i...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Eric N, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Aloha LinaThoene,

Let me start by saying welcome back to Plantation Hale Suites. Yes, we have finished renovation in the interior of our most of our suites and the other suite you noted is scheduled to be completed the next few months. I will share your positive comments with our staff. I am so glad to hear that they were extremely helpful, it is always nice to hear the good comments about our special staff here at Plantation Hale Suites. Look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Kauai.

Mahalo...
Hoolehua, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I have had to fly in for multiple trips and the staff are so lovely and show the true Hawaiian Spirit... the room is very SPACIOUS as well as the service was awesome. My Ohana loves it here at Plantation Hale they make them feel like their at home. Aloha and Mahalo for keeping the Hawaiian Spirit alive

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Eric N, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Aloha Jerry F,

Let me start by saying welcome back to Plantation Hale Suites. I will share your positive comments with our staff. I am so glad to hear that they were extremely helpful and that the maid service was second to none, always nice to hear the good comments about our special staff here at Plantation Hale Suites. Look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Kauai.

Mahalo....
Waipahu, Hawaii, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Periodically I travel back home (local) and stay at Plantation Hale. I WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN. My daughter, three grandchildren and I stayed one night. I was embarressed that I chose this place for my grandchildren and daughter to stay for the night. When I opened the door the room smelled of fowl odor, musty and of pee. I immediately opened the sliding doors and turned on the ceiling fans and left the entry door open to get rid of the foul smell. It took a while. When the front desk said we were upgraded to a garden view, one would expected green and lush foliageand green grass, DO NOT EXPECT A GARDEN unless it starts to rain during the winter months....you may get LUSH GREEN GRASS THEN. Bathroom dirty, The grout on the ceramic floor tiles of the bathroom someone needs to take a toothbrush and clean it or spray it so it does not look BLACK or LIKE IT HAS NOT BEEN CLEANED IN A LONG TIME. Screen door leading to the so call Garden was difficult to move back and forth and took some doing to get it to slide. Had to ask for Coffee packets and was asked to come to the front desk and get it. Then it did not matter, the COFFEE MAKER did not work properly. AC unit noisy.

We were very hesitate to sleep on the bed and checked it to make sure the sheet was at least CLEAN.

"Newly Renovated" overstated - I have stayed here when it was NOT RENOVATED and I can say that the only thing I see changed is the countertop in the bathroom and new drapery.....other than these two things it is still old and outstaed and pretty much the same before such RENOVATION.

I used to live here on Kauai and I love our island, but this was an embarressment and disappointment. The only thing good about this place is the "Suite" and walking distance to eateries. Trust me, for the price it was not worth it!

Room Tip: I do not recommend Plantation Hale
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Eric N, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Aloha Joyce H,

I must say I was disappointed we let you down on our services. I can assure you that is not the norm and I will share your feedback with our team. I sincerely apologize as we do our best to ensure that our guests are satisfied and we strive to meet and exceed their expectations. We care very much about our guests and their comfort.

I do hope you will return and contact myself or Patti (Assistant Manager) for a reservation. Thank you for your business and your comments.
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Plantation Hale Suites? Share your experiences!