“Great renovations” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Kapaa
Haiku, Hawaii
“Great renovations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I have been coming to Plantation Hale for over eight years. They have finally renovated the rooms. Love the renovations. Kudos to the designers. The living room and bedroom are comparable yo the rooms at the Lihue's Marriot. Yes, I visited relatives in their Marriot rooms. The rooms are designed with a Pottery Barn Hawaiian touch. Very well done. The staff people are very nice. The location is between Hanalei and Poipu. Very centralized. I hope that they will renovate thd kitchen next. The pools too. Good value, yes!

• Stayed June 2013
John D, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Aloha dimsumgirl2.
Thank you. I am thrilled you liked our new suites. We have had nothing but positive comments. . I agree we offer a good location and a nice staff. Mahalo for being such a loyal customer. Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
San Leandro, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Plantation Hale is a great centrally located place to stay. This was our first time on Kauai, so we weren't sure where on the island to stay. This turned out to be ideal for seeing the sights on all parts of the island.
We were upgraded to an ocean view suite. It was very clean and comfortable. The pool and spa were just a short distance from our room. It was fun watching the roosters stroll through the property.
We had one problem, on the first cleaning of the room, we weren't given any extra toilet paper. We discovered this very early in the morning the following day. As soon as the front desk opened we called and they brought us some right away. We didn't have any other issues with the cleaning of the suite.
We would definitely stay here again if we returned to Kauai.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha JM.
Mahalo for your comments. I am so pleased you spent your first time on our beautiful island with us. We do have a great central location. Sorry for the mishap with housekeeping however I am pleased the team was quick to respond to your requests. Aloha and thank you for your business.
Norfolk, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We spent 3 nights in a garden view suite here in June 2013. It was clean and comfortable; the bedroom was spacious as was the dining/living room. Our only criticisms were that one air conditioning unit for both the bedroom and living room was a bit meagre; as we left the A/C off while we were out during the day it took quite a while to cool the rooms in the evening. And the general light levels in the suite were rather low. Neither of these were a serious problem, however. There are one or two eating places within walking distance, but given the busy main road (the suites themselves are set off the road, and noise wasn't a problem) it was safer to drive. Kapa'a was a pleasant little town. Overall this was a satisfactory base for travelling around the island.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
John D, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Aloha JaneBNorfolk_UK.
I am very glad to hear you had a pleasant stay with us at Plantation Hale Suites. I do have to agree on hot days it takes a little time to cool down the units if the AC has been off. Kapaa is a pleasant town. One of the best things about our resort is the central location on the Island. Thank you for posting your feedback. It is nice to receive such a good rating from a Senior Reviewer. Mahalo for your business. Aloha!
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I had my choice of selecting any hotel/suites in early April, but I chose Plantation Hale based on the comments on TripAdvisor. However, when I booked it using their own site, there was no mention of a $12 daily resort fee. This is on top of the quoted daily rate and added at the end so it's deceiving. (I think it's currently mentioned now).

A couple of days before our reservation, I got an e-mail reminder from PH, so I replied saying thanks and notified them to get me a room on the second floor which most TA reviewers suggested. They said no problem. So of course on the day my family of 4 showed up at around 3PM, they didn't have a 2nd floor room ready and said one would be available within an hour. Since my family was tired and we had just went to Costco and had perishables, we kept the 1st level room.

So we went to the room and the first thing I noticed entering the room was a sign saying to please remove your shoes before going into the rest of the place (a Hawaiian tradition). I expected an outdated room but clean room but the carpet was so dirty and there is no way we are going bare foot on a dirty carpet. Also there appeared to be cookie crumps under the dining table. We were so tired I just let it go and wanted to see if it would be vacuumed up the following day. The bathroom and kitchen were updated with marble counter tops but that was it. It needed new cabinets and probably the walls needed to be replaced. The shower tub combo had mold in the grout and there looked like a dried snot shot next to the door frame in the toilet/tub room. The toilet/tub room door knob was grossly sticky and so was the door where most people touch it to close it. Also after the first night I learned to shower before the rest of my family so I could pick the nicest/newest towel to avoid drying off with an old scratchy towel. Probably one of the four towels each night was decent. (It's tough to dry off with an old towel if you have a slight sunburn like I got). Of all the places I stayed at and some were not so nice, this place has the worse bath towels overall.

As others have summed up, this place is in a great location and the front desk staff are wonderful. The grounds are nice and the weber grill is useful. Also the DVD collection is fairly up to date since they even had Jack Reacher in the collection.

IMO our room just needs updating and better maid service. I would prefer to go to a nicer place next time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
John D, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Aloha PTO-Guy.
I am always disappointed when we do not have the opportunity to address guest issues in person when they are on property. I will certainly share your feedback with our staff and sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations. We constantly purchase and rotate our linen inventory. Our amenity fee is fully posted on our web-site and calculates into your reservation cost when reserved on the website. In addition it is collected at check in not check out. The fee offers great value. Wi-Fi, Parking, Kauai Coffee in suite daily, Safe, 30 minutes daily of Long Distance to either the US mainland or Canada., Local calls, Beach towels, Daily Maid service, Lobby computer usage, and as you pointed out our DVD library with over 400 movies, (latest releases) a 20% discount at the SPA, and bottled water upon arrival. Most resorts in our area have individual charges for many of these items and charge additional for parking, maid service every three days and a departure cleaning fee. Aloha.
VIOLA,iDAHO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed for a week and were happy the entire time. We had a garden view suite, but could see the ocean from the lanai. There was a separate bedroom, a kitchen fully stocked and a full bath. All very clean and neat. The people at the front desk were friendly and helpful. Kappa itself is nothing to drool over, but it is about in the middle of the island, making for easy commute to both the north and south shores. Good restaurants nearby as well.
I would stay again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Aloha mdidaho.
Thank you for the great review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your week with us. I hope we will see you again soon. Mahalo for your business.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My friend and I were booked in a condo in the hills of Kapaa for a nine night stay, and the first night we saw four roaches. I hate roaches. I had even asked the owner of the condo the night before if the condo had roaches because a guide book said there were roaches all over the island. The owner said "no roaches"! Upon closer looking, we saw roach traps everywhere. We were outta there the next morning. The owner gave me a partial refund which I am disputing on my credit card (that's a whole other miserable story). That morning I found Plantation Hale on Trip Advisor and there were rave reviews of the staff. Loved it and also loved that management replied to reviews. All I wanted was to be treated nicely and honestly after the horrible experience we had with the owner of the condo. Well fortunately for me I spoke with Noi (sp?) on the phone and was able to reserve a room for the next 8 nights. She was super patient and very understanding with me while I told her what I just went through. I asked a lot of questions and she answered them all with kindness. I instantly felt relaxed speaking with her, like everything was going to turn out alright. And it did! The room was a deluxe suite, (I highly recommend this type of room because of the modern amenities and size). I never saw one bug the entire time! Everything worked, the AC was cold, and the entire staff, including the front desk clerks, maintenance, housekeeping, and the concierge were all wonderful! The beds were very comfortable, the lanai was awesome, the location is perfect, next to shopping, great restaurants, and the ocean across a meadow. If you want to experience the Aloha spirit, stay here. I will definitely book with them the next time I come to Kauai.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
John D, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Aloha Shinethelightonme.
I am so appreciate of your review and that Plantation Hale was part of your vacation trip. Thank you for acknowledging Noe and our staff. Their goal is to always make our guests feel at home. You are right our new Deluxe Suites are terrific. It sounds as if you were able to experience some of the restaurants and shopping in our area. Again, I am most pleased we were able to provide a relaxing visit and experience for you and your friends. We do hope to see you again. Mahalo for your business. Aloha.
Newcastle NSW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Our 1 bedroom suite had a lovely outlook across an open grassed area to the ocean, so consequently had very nice breezes from the tradewinds - despite the warm June weather we fortunately had no need of the airconditioning during our stay.

Yes, as others say in their reviews the location of the Plantation Hale Suites is perfect, being exactly at the halfway point between the northern and southern attractions of the island and handy to the airport, but set back from the main road. Nearby is a large Foodland complex and there are some very good restaurants - particularly the excellent one at the Kauai Resort almost opposite the resort (book in advance at least two days) and the 'Lemongrass' just down the road. Check-in was efficient, informative and friendly, as was the tour desk.

That said, our suite was clean and comfortable but basic - no spas, dishwashers or other fancy gadgetry and only shared washing machines - none in the suites. Air- conditioners were noisy as they were of an older style and were possibly as old as the building. The buildings are old but have had new tiling and benchtops, floorcoverings etc but older taps (stiff to use) stove and power/light switches. The soft furnishings were moderately new and were of a good quality. The gardens were well maintained and the ambience of the resort was relaxing and pleasant.

Other suites we stayed in on other islands were completely renovated top to bottom - this was not the case for our suite - but I cannot comment on all the suites in the complex - judging from other comments on this site, perhaps some are totally re-vamped.

For overseas visitors such as us, who 'island hop' and have shorter stays of 3-4 days in each location it would be useful to have small size restaurant style butter pats, honey or peanut butter spreads, fresh milk (we hate powdered coffee whiteners) teabags, small supplies of liquid dishwashing detergent and other such items available for a small fee, as these items were not available in small container sizes in the supermarket and it meant a huge wastage of these items when we left the island.

Also it could be useful to have split refuse bins in the kitchens, so that recyclable containers and paper/packaging can be separated from food waste, rather than all end up in one bag going to landfill.

This was our favourite island, but we were so busy we didn't have time to sample the pool or other facilities at this resort, however we relished a quiet drink on the spacious balcony at the end of our busy days.

Room Tip: The east facing building, top floor, end of the building location gave us good cross-flow ventilatio...