“What a Great Deal” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Kapaa
Fallon, NV
“What a Great Deal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We were luck enough to get in on a promotion through Amazon.com for this site. Got the suite, car rental, and $25.00 voucher for $899.00 for five days in Kauai. Never would have thought to try this spot except for the promotion. Rooms were large and clean with a great view of the ocean. Couldn't have asked for more, hotel staff was very helpful and courteous. We would recommend this facility to anyone coming to Kauai.

The only little problem is the the hot and cold water knobs were switched in the kitchen, other than that it was a great stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the ocean.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
John D, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Aloha MRducker. Thank you for the kind words. AMAZON is a great partner and their package is a great value. We hope you will take advantage of future AMAZON sales with us. Thanks for the recommendation and acknowlidging the staff. I also appreciate the heads up on the hot and cold knobs. Engineering has corrected it. Mahalo for your business.Watch for the AMAZON sales. Aloha!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We had a day alone, then shared room with my son & his partner for two, & then they had two days alone. Sounds complicated but no problem for the staff. Got us a room with king bed & comfortable queen pull-out bed.--everyone was happy! Had an ocean view on the second floor near the road but not noisy --rooms must have good insulation. Check out the massages in the resort across but their office--10 % discount. Susan

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Aloha sjheller825. So pleased you enjoyed your stay and our AMAZON package. Spa Makaiawa is a great value and so convenient. Thanks for your business. Aloha! Watch for future sales...
Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Nice family place, also we asked for handicap bathroom and we had a nice large shower . We enjoyed using the full sized kitchen and cooked our meals there. We also
was happy to know that we were close to the North side of the island and was not too far from the other towns. Our family enjoyed driving to the beaches and other sites as this hotel was in the middle of the island,. We would like to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
John D, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Aloha poidog369. Thank you for the nice review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay at our resort, and our location. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Mahalo for staying with us.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

You definitely need a car on Kauai anyway, however the Plantation Hale was walking distance to Kapaa so you have shops and restaurants close by for breakfast, dinner or a lazy day.

The 'resort' itself is good value for money; very clean and the staff were friendly and generally helpful (as was everyone in Kauai). It wasn't too big and although there are other hotels around, I never felt like there were 'too many people' (unlike some other parts of the Island where the hotels appeared to be built on top of each other).

The suite itself is a very decent size; we were two people and you might get three in there but I wouldn't recommend any more than that. On the whole I only have positive things to say; my one complaint was that the mattresses on the beds were pretty knackered and not so bad for me because I'm pretty light, but an uncomfortable nights sleep if you're a bit heavier (apparently). When we raised this the staff weren't able to help us and that was disappointing...

The kitchenette was dated, however we hardly used it so this wasn't a big deal. Otherwise the pool is good if you don't feel like going out for the day and the hot-tub is good for socialising in the evening...

You can't really swim in the sea nr Kapaa (you can count on two hands the places that you can safely swim) but you're not too far from a good beach up the coast (Anahola) and Poipu is 20 mins (or so) drive down the coast.

FYI - Kauai is not a good destination if you have a phobia of chickens... Or if you're a light sleeper (beware the cockerels when the sun comes up!) A lovely, picturesque, laid-back island though... Highly recommend if you want to slow down completely for a couple of weeks!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the kind review. I am pleased you and your friends enjoed your time with us. It sounds as if you were able to enjoy the area and some of the resort amenities. We are replacing mattresses. Please send me a note which unit you were in and I will personally inspect it. Thank you for staying with us. Aloha.
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed in the Plantation Hale for 6 days. We had a big room, with lost of space. The room is als very clean. We had garden view wich meant that we looked at a pool, and close to the road ( which didn't bother us at all. During the evening it was quit. The location we like very much because with a car everything is at close range. There was also a dvd rental with all new movies ( for free), very nice. Stafff is helpfull and friendly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha Michelzvp. So pleased you had a nice stay and enjoyed our resort and location. Thanks also for acknowledging the staff. Believe me they are terrific at going the extra mile to make sure our guests are comfortable. I am also pleased you enjoyed our DVD library. I must admit AMAZON is great for getting the latest movie releases. Hope we will see you again soon. Mahalo.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is really a 4.5 rating. The value and location are outstanding! Our suite was recently remodeled and very comfortable. The property has the old Hawaiian plantation feel. The amenities were excellent. The only reason I am taking off .5 points is because of the poor Wifi connection. The central location of this resort allows visitors to explore the entire island within reasonable driving times. Local shopping, dining, and access to grocery/drug stores is great. This was our 4th visit to Hawaii and we wanted a low key place to relax. It was very quiet. The local beach has breathtaking views and is just a short walk on a sidewalk through a grassy area across from the hotel. Guest services were excellent. Hukilau Restaurant is delicious and right across the street for fine dining.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
John D, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Aloha Marilyn E. Thank you for the wonderful comments. We are so happy you had such a wonderful time. Our location on the Royal Coconut Coast as you pointed out is so convenient to to really see all of the Island. I agree with you. The Hukilau is a wonderful restaurant. I will share your feedback with our team. I also must speak with our WI-FI provider. I am disappointed that you had a poor connection. In January we increased our bandwidth to handle the demand form smart phones, I Pads,and provide better connections for all devices.This was an expensive investment. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Mahalo for your business.
Cupertino, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Yet another wonderful trip has been concluded to Kauai, and once again we chose to stay at Plantation Hale. Call us creatures of habit, or call us quality and cost conscious, but definitely call us satisfied with our decision to stay with them once again. Highly recommended!

Things are changing at Plantation Hale, and most of them are good. They are re-decorating and upgrading the rooms, and we like the new decor and furniture. There are new LCD TV with DVD players that offer you the opportunity to chill out after a day at the beach or relax with a glass of wine and a good movie after visiting the hot tub. The beds appear to be new as well, but they went from being fairly hard on previous stays to being really soft, but after a couple of nights and several rounds of Mai Tais, we adjusted to the new beds and the linens are much improved.

Our stay was not without problems. I thought I had booked an upstairs ocean view unit, but alas, we were in a downstairs unit, and they couldn't or wouldn't move us. I was kinda bummed about this, but I guess it's one of those "you live / you learn" situations. Here's the deal: if you pay for an ocean view room, you really want to be on the upper level, simply because you can't really see the ocean well from the ground floor. Plus, you can't really sleep with the sliding glass doors open at night to enjoy the ocean breeze. Well you can, but you might have some person wondering in to your room at night through the open door, which we'd prefer to avoid. So learn from my mistake: if you pay the premium for an ocean view room, make sure you are on the second floor, otherwise the garden view rooms are plenty nice and you can save some money. Just make sure you are well away from Kuhio Highway, or don't say I didn't warn you. We learned about that the first time we stayed there many years ago!

The biggest downside of our stay was that our newly revamped room had an old fridge that wasn't cold, and the freezer was warm and tepid. This was a huge concern since we spent a huge amount of money on groceries and didn't discover that the fridge wasn't working until the next morning. Thankfully, none of the food spoiled, a new fridge was installed the next day, and the manager made an appropriate gesture to make amends. I think the remodeling is an ongoing thing, as our kitchen had a stove that probably dated back to the original opening in 1972. Kinda cruddy, but the manager said they are in the process of replacing those as well.

While on the topic, the new manager is actually a great guy, and I think he is the driving force behind many of the improvements going on, like new washers and dryers in the laundry in every building that get your clothes clean and dry for just $2.50 for washing and drying. I think that's a bargain given the convenience, and after a week of beach and hiking, its great to wear fresh clean clothes. I think he brings a much-needed focus on attention to detail to the place, which is good.

In the "meh" category comes their new "amenities charge". I have to say after many years of traveling, I'm really suspicious of any fees or charges that are tacked on to your basic room rate. It just seems cheap to me to tack on charges for this and that. In the case of Plantation Hale, they are tacking on a $10 per night amenity fee that covers 1) free WiFi, 2) free / unlimited DVD rental, 3) free Kauai Coffee in the room every day, 4) free parking (don't laugh, some places do charge for parking, and those are places I will not stay again on an island where parking should not be a problem) and 4) fairly nice coconut scented / hawaiian made soaps and shampoos 5) unlimited pool / beach towel exchange. Is that worth $10 bucks a night? Is it reasonable to expect that all that stuff is normally included in your room rate? Should you pay for services that you might not even use (like WiFi, woe be to those who bring their laptops in vacation!!!!).

I'm really unsure about all this... on the one had it seems like a good value, and I can that it probably really helps the bottom line of the facility, but I think my conclusion is the same as it is with airlines: you don't expect to have to pay for things that are part and parcel of traveling to or staying at some place, and although the manager gave a fairly reasonable explanation of what it was all about, I am paying the amenities fee begrudgingly. I really think they need to be clear when you book that they will add this fee to your bill, and in my case, I have no recollection of them telling me about it. Having said that, I did book at a good rate, so I'm also inclined to think I shouldn't complain. I'll leave it up to you to decide, but I think this is like airlines adding baggage fees, and I hate baggage fees!!

As with any review, you are probably wanting to know whether or not you should stay where we did. And I have to say, with no reservations, that Plantation Hale remains one of the best places to stay on Kauai, with nicely appointed rooms in a convenient location with some nice amenities that unfortunately you have to pay extra for. Will we stay there again? Absolutely. We love the place and the new manager is great, but I hope this is not the start of a trend that makes one of the best values in Kauai less attractive.

So... if you've made it this far, you're in for a treat, because I'm going to share with you the recipe for the Plantation Hale Mai Tai. Please enjoy responsibly!

Remove the blender from the lower cupboard (ours was brand new!)
Get some ice from the freezer and fill the blender 1/3 with ice.
Pour pre-made Koloa Rum Mai Tai (from Costco) until it covers the ice
Blend until the ice is chopped and blended into small pieces.
Slice a fresh Maui Pineapple into quarters vertically.
Remove the rind and the center pith and cut into small chunks.
Add to Mai Tai in blender and blend until smooth.
Pour into a tall glass (located in cupboard above).
Add 2 to 4 ounces of Hana dark rum slowly so that it creates a dark middle band.
Place pineapple slice on rim of glass and enjoy!

(picture below shows what it looks like!)

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms next to Kuhio Highway unless you aren't bothered by traffic noise. If you go fo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha groovology. Thank you for being such a loyal customer and for the great review. We take your feedback very seriously, and I am pleased we were able to address most to your satisfaction. I try to instill in our team, there will always be challenges, some we can fix, some we cannot however we have the responsibility to try and make our guests comfortable and happy. I am pleased we succeeded in doing so. It was also nice of you to point out the many changes we are making at the resort, and we intend to stay a great value. I know many of our readers will enjoy your recipe for Mai Tais. Look forward to seeing you again soon. Aloha.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Aston Islander on the Beach
#2 of 11 in Lihue
4.5 of 5 stars 497 reviews
Courtyard by Marriott Kauai at Coconut Beach
Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy

Been to Plantation Hale Suites? Share your experiences!