“Ohana style, loved the experience and the catch!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 69 Activities in Kapaa
Type: Boat Tours, Adventure
San Jose, California
30 attraction reviews
“Ohana style, loved the experience and the catch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I found the dock just before 6:00AM and met Terry, the Captain. I was the only woman with three other fisherman and Terry. But there was no hassle or problem. He was straight up charming, friendly and easy going. We did have to take off our shoes before clambered aboard. The sun was coming up as he set up the roll lines hoping for a big day's catch. The morning was stunningly beautiful as we headed out to our troll zone.

When it became obvious that we were not going to have much success trolling, Terry quickly got out the bait and set us up for stationary fishing. One of the fellows on the boat pulled a few medium size but tasty reef fish. Then I hooked up and battled a black tipped shark which came aboard, about 3.5 feet long. I love shark meat so it went into the cooler as it was not kapu.
Then I hooked into something that bent my rod into a U shape and took over about 500 feet of line. Initially the men thought I had caught the ocean floor until they saw the line peel off my reel. I worked with it for what seemed like forever. In the end I did not land whatever it was so this is my one that got away story.

I had a blast out there fishing with Hawaiian Style FIshing. Maybe the only down side is the primitive but private toilet bucket. However it was all secure so it too was part of the adventure.
I did not take away from my enjoyment at all and definitely added to my amusement factor.

Terry filleted the shark for me, and since the other fellows did not want their fish, I came home with A LOT of great fish. The kicker was when we docked there were all these cute keiki who wanted the head and guts of the shark and the fins. They were so cute. The experience was well worth the price which I had originally thought was a lot of money. But with the cost of gas on the island and the personal touch of the captain with his concerns for everyone's good time, I have to recommend this adventure.

Visited October 2012

Moorpark, CA
4 attraction reviews
“Great Trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Went out with Captain Terry for a full day fishing charter. We had 4 people and paid for a charter for the whole day so it was only us. Started the day out trolling for big stuff but when we hadn't had any hits after a couple passes of his next fishing spot we transitioned to jig fishing. after a few minutes we started getting bites. We were hooking up 3 rods at a time on Aku (skipjack tuna). after a couple hours reeling in Aku we went back to trolling for big stuff. unfortunately we just did not get any hits on trolling.
Wehn we got back to the dock we got plenty of fish from Captain Terry to feed our entire group (14 people) for two meals. Those were a couple of great meals!

To put our experience in perspective to the other 7-8 boats who were fishing the same spot when we were catching Aku, we found out later (one member of our group forgot a jacket and went back to get it) that the four of us had caught 35 Aku. Out of the other boats there was one that caught 7 and one that caught 2, and that was it. Captain Terry CRUSHED IT for us and we would gladly use him again!!!!

If you are on Kauai, try him out. You will have a good time!

Visited July 2012
“You will catch fish!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011 via mobile

We booked our trip through the Kauai Coast resort where Terry was highly recommended because he does share the catch. The day we went started out rainy but Terry assured us that we would catch fish. We found his marker, cast lines and within seconds both my husband and I hooked something. It was a definite struggle, but I landed a 50# yellow fin tuna and hubby's got away. After catching a few Aku we headed in. I've never been so happy fishing in my life and if Terry hadn't lent a hand I think mine would have gotten away too! He made sure we had fun, he's very pleasant and always smiling! We also had some nice filets to grill that night!

La Mirada, California
21 attraction reviews
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

We had stopped to talk to guy pulling his boat out at the Anini ramp. Hubby has always wanted to go out on a boat to fish (we had a pretty bad experience on the BI) on Kauai. He was told to just go down to the Kapa`a boat launch and talk to the guys coming in. Perfect timing, so drove down. Hubby talked to one guy putting his (WOW-NICE) boat in and was told Terry Teves with Hawaiian Style Fishing was the BEST! He launches from there too and his truck was in the lot. Hubby called the number and spoke with his wife, found out Terry was coming in, about 15 min, he had a Marlin! Oh yeah, we hung around. Got to talk to Terry, see the boat and the 305 pound fish! Hubby is going out with him in the morning, 6:00am, half-day trip. OMG, the man is just too excited!!!
Now when someone needs a recommendation for a fishing charter, we can highly recommend Hawaiian Style Fishing! $130.00 half-day. Hubby had such a good time, they all caught Aku (skipjack). In Hawaii, the fish belong to the boat. Hubby caught 4 and was very happy, he got 3 nice fillets to bring home. It’s a 25 foot boat, Captain Terry is the only crew and he can take up to 6. Great captain, made sure everyone had a good time and worked really hard to find the fish! On this trip there were 3 others fishing. Hubby felt he definitely got his money’s worth!

Visited September 2011