“Very tired condos compared to 15 years ago!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Use Promo Code & Save Now
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Kapaa
Ontario
“Very tired condos compared to 15 years ago!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed at the Lae Nani in Kapaa, Kauai approximately 15 years ago and was very impressed with the quality at that time. The condos were filled with amenities necessary for any vacationer who was staying for a week or more. I stayed at the same location a few weeks ago and was very disappointed in the condo this time around. It was very tired, in need of paint/upgrading of furniture/decor and had only the bare minimum necessities. I would definitely not stay there again on my next visit to Kauai.

Room Tip: Condos located in Poipu are much more upscale and still affordable. Also several more restaurants l...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
West Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

we visited this older property and really thrilled to have unit 535 from VRBO that was upgraded bathrooms, flooring, furnishings, ammenities, net flix, wifi.....etc
top floor, beautiful view, big balconies with out door furniture
we are going to return

Room Tip: unit 535 VRBO website
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed here with my husband for 4 days inSeptember 2012 and had a wonderful time. We were on the second floor overlooking the pool and beach. The room had recently been refurbished with new kitchen and bathrooms and we just perfect. We were able to pop down the road to the supermarket to obtain food and used the free bbq's everynight to cook dinner.
Highly recommend
We had a car and were able to drive around the island and the location makes it very central to all the sights

Room Tip: we found the second floor great and we ate on the balcony with a great view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Templeton, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

My wife and I booked this unit after seeing the pictures and its location on the Kauai Vacation Rentals web site. The Outrigger at Lae Nani is an older resort, which explains why many of the units are described as being old and run-down. This unit is clearly not new, but it was clean and very comfortable. I must admit that I was a little disappointed when I first arrived, because we have stayed at nicer condos for the price (although not on Kauai). By the end of our 5-day stay, I was very happy with the accommodations.

The unit is on the third floor of building 5, which is the southern-most building on the property. It has a great ocean view and you can see all the way to the airport in Lihue.

If you're someone who needs air conditioning, don't choose this unit. I'm not big on air conditioning as long as there is good window ventilation. When we arrived, the unit was hot and stuffy. But opening windows at both ends soon had the interior feeling quite comfortable. We left the windows open during our entire stay.

Another issue to be aware of is that you are in a complex with other people. We were lucky that 4 of the 5 nights we stayed there were very quiet after dark. One of the nights, some neighboring visitors decided it was appropriate to talk at full volume. The sound of the ocean must have helped put me to sleep because even with the loud talking, I was asleep in about 20 minutes.

The bottom line is, if you don't expect anything too fancy with this unit, I think you will enjoy your stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

For our 50th wedding anniversary our "kids" treated us to a week on Kauai, staying with them in 3 different condos at Lae Nani. One of our sons, his wife and 4-year old had stayed at Lae Nani last year & enjoyed the perfect location, access to the beach & extensive lawn opening from their lanai. As it turned out, my husband & I enjoyed our beautiful unit #423 with perfect views, high end furnishings, new appliances & all of the extras anyone would need for an extended stay. We suspect that our unit is rented only to couples & that the owners from Oregon have very high standards regarding quality & upkeep.
The grounds at Lae Nani are beautifully maintained. In addition to a large pool there is a protected area of the beach surrounded by lava rocks adjoining a heiau which allows for safe swimming. Coconut Marketplace is a short walk away and there are several restaurants & shops close by. We think Kapaa is the best location for touring Kauai, going north to Princeville/Hanalei or south and west to Poipu, Hanapepe & the NaPali area.
Lae Nani is quiet and convenient. As a gated community you can enjoy privacy & a feeling of safety. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Montreal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Ray White the owner requested a $300 "refundable" security deposit (that he probably never planned to refund me) and full payment 2 months in advance (everywhere else I've been never requested full payment so long in advance ... only a deposit and full payment usually only upon arrival or departure).

I decided to trust Mr. White ... that was the worst mistake of my life.

The condo was very nice and we had a good time but I found it weird that all the security guards at the condo and Mr. White neighbors kept warning me about "watching my back with Ray White" and about "Mr. White being such a bad human being". I found out why a few weeks after my departure from Hawaii ... I never saw my full "refundable" security deposit back.

I am 100% sure we did not break or stain anything in the condo. We left everything in a perfect condition. No matter what all he mailed me was a $100 check and a totally unreadable note (leaving me $200 short on my security deposit).

I was able to get a hold of him on the phone after being VERY persistent (because he initially kept hanging up on me). I was only trying to get an explanation for the holding of my $200 (because the note he mailed me was unreadable) but he kept getting mad at me for calling him and refused to gave me any kind of explanation. I believe that if he was in good faith he would have given me an explanation right away, or even better, in advance to warn me that he was keeping a portion of my deposit ... no!?!

After being again very persistent he finally accepted to explain me why he held my $200. He claimed that we scratched his glass kitchen table and stained one of his kitchen chair. Now I knew he was lying because we NEVER ate at this table and always used the table outside the condo on the patio. I asked him if it was possible that the previous visitor did that and to send me a picture of the damages. Obviously he refused saying that it would not add anything to the discussion.

Meanwhile still no trace of my money unfortunately. :-(

I'll let you know if Ray White ever comes back to his senses and refunds me. Meanwhile I'll keep calling him everyday to try to get proofs of what he claims I have damaged.

Watch your back with Ray White!

Room Tip: Not unit #317. You will never see your security deposit back.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Park City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We debated on whether to do a hotel or condo. This property is the perfect location between the Princeville and Poi Pu. The unit property is a bit dated but safe and clean. The view is outstanding and what is the best feature of this propety. The grounds are manicured and immaculate. Helene from the front desk was most kind and accomodating. Renting a condo with kitchen facilities and a living room is much more pracital than a hotel room. Everything I needed was at my disposal. It's gated so is a safe community. I would recommend this hotel to anyone for the location, the view, and the friendliness of the staff.

Room Tip: Great location from all sides of Kauai
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Outrigger at Lae Nani? Share your experiences!