“Unit 531 is a good choice.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Use Promo Code & Save Now
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Kapaa
Templeton, California
“Unit 531 is a good choice.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

My wife and I booked this unit after seeing the pictures and its location on the Kauai Vacation Rentals web site. The Outrigger at Lae Nani is an older resort, which explains why many of the units are described as being old and run-down. This unit is clearly not new, but it was clean and very comfortable. I must admit that I was a little disappointed when I first arrived, because we have stayed at nicer condos for the price (although not on Kauai). By the end of our 5-day stay, I was very happy with the accommodations.

The unit is on the third floor of building 5, which is the southern-most building on the property. It has a great ocean view and you can see all the way to the airport in Lihue.

If you're someone who needs air conditioning, don't choose this unit. I'm not big on air conditioning as long as there is good window ventilation. When we arrived, the unit was hot and stuffy. But opening windows at both ends soon had the interior feeling quite comfortable. We left the windows open during our entire stay.

Another issue to be aware of is that you are in a complex with other people. We were lucky that 4 of the 5 nights we stayed there were very quiet after dark. One of the nights, some neighboring visitors decided it was appropriate to talk at full volume. The sound of the ocean must have helped put me to sleep because even with the loud talking, I was asleep in about 20 minutes.

The bottom line is, if you don't expect anything too fancy with this unit, I think you will enjoy your stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

For our 50th wedding anniversary our "kids" treated us to a week on Kauai, staying with them in 3 different condos at Lae Nani. One of our sons, his wife and 4-year old had stayed at Lae Nani last year & enjoyed the perfect location, access to the beach & extensive lawn opening from their lanai. As it turned out, my husband & I enjoyed our beautiful unit #423 with perfect views, high end furnishings, new appliances & all of the extras anyone would need for an extended stay. We suspect that our unit is rented only to couples & that the owners from Oregon have very high standards regarding quality & upkeep.
The grounds at Lae Nani are beautifully maintained. In addition to a large pool there is a protected area of the beach surrounded by lava rocks adjoining a heiau which allows for safe swimming. Coconut Marketplace is a short walk away and there are several restaurants & shops close by. We think Kapaa is the best location for touring Kauai, going north to Princeville/Hanalei or south and west to Poipu, Hanapepe & the NaPali area.
Lae Nani is quiet and convenient. As a gated community you can enjoy privacy & a feeling of safety. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Montreal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Ray White the owner requested a $300 "refundable" security deposit (that he probably never planned to refund me) and full payment 2 months in advance (everywhere else I've been never requested full payment so long in advance ... only a deposit and full payment usually only upon arrival or departure).

I decided to trust Mr. White ... that was the worst mistake of my life.

The condo was very nice and we had a good time but I found it weird that all the security guards at the condo and Mr. White neighbors kept warning me about "watching my back with Ray White" and about "Mr. White being such a bad human being". I found out why a few weeks after my departure from Hawaii ... I never saw my full "refundable" security deposit back.

I am 100% sure we did not break or stain anything in the condo. We left everything in a perfect condition. No matter what all he mailed me was a $100 check and a totally unreadable note (leaving me $200 short on my security deposit).

I was able to get a hold of him on the phone after being VERY persistent (because he initially kept hanging up on me). I was only trying to get an explanation for the holding of my $200 (because the note he mailed me was unreadable) but he kept getting mad at me for calling him and refused to gave me any kind of explanation. I believe that if he was in good faith he would have given me an explanation right away, or even better, in advance to warn me that he was keeping a portion of my deposit ... no!?!

After being again very persistent he finally accepted to explain me why he held my $200. He claimed that we scratched his glass kitchen table and stained one of his kitchen chair. Now I knew he was lying because we NEVER ate at this table and always used the table outside the condo on the patio. I asked him if it was possible that the previous visitor did that and to send me a picture of the damages. Obviously he refused saying that it would not add anything to the discussion.

Meanwhile still no trace of my money unfortunately. :-(

I'll let you know if Ray White ever comes back to his senses and refunds me. Meanwhile I'll keep calling him everyday to try to get proofs of what he claims I have damaged.

Watch your back with Ray White!

Room Tip: Not unit #317. You will never see your security deposit back.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Park City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We debated on whether to do a hotel or condo. This property is the perfect location between the Princeville and Poi Pu. The unit property is a bit dated but safe and clean. The view is outstanding and what is the best feature of this propety. The grounds are manicured and immaculate. Helene from the front desk was most kind and accomodating. Renting a condo with kitchen facilities and a living room is much more pracital than a hotel room. Everything I needed was at my disposal. It's gated so is a safe community. I would recommend this hotel to anyone for the location, the view, and the friendliness of the staff.

Room Tip: Great location from all sides of Kauai
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Corralitos, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Lae Nani seems nice, beautiful grounds and ocean views, but the condos inside are dated and dirty, mattress are very old and worn out. The kitchen has limited cooking supplies (no cutting board, few dishes). The bathrooms are rusty and smell. There are only 3 chairs on the Lanai for dinning and when we called the front desk, we are a family of four, we were told to make do with what we had. We usually have daily housekeepers with Outrigger and told we would but with Lae Nani received housekeeping once in 8 days. The lack of cleaning shows, peeling smelly tile in both bathrooms. Overall not a clean or nice experience. They lock up the lounge chairs before sunset and do not allow you to bring them to the beach. We have stayed many places over the years including other Outrigger locations. We would recommend a different condo option in Kauai until Lae Nani can be cleaned up and updated. We stayed in 331.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Fairfax, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I'm sitting in Lae Nani 325 enjouying a wonderful breeze and wishing we didn't have to leave tomorrow. I usually get "hotel envy" when I see other properties when I travel. But not this time! Lae Nani #325 is the best place to stay on Kauai! The ocean views were so gorgeous, I couldn't wait for morning coffee and evening cocktails on the deck. The 2 bedroom condo is clean and spacious, and nicely decorated. No a/c, but we didn't need it as the ocean breezes flow right through. Beach has two tipped pools that would be great for families with little kids. It's conveniently located near Kapaa, but just enough out of town to be peaceful. As others have said, Lae Nani is a collection of independently owned condos and some are better than others. Google Lae Nani 325 to get the info you need to rent this particular unit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hermann, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

because they were so willing to allow us to move to their premier property, the Waipouli Beach Resort, after we saw how absolutelly FILTHY and AWFUL the condo they had reserved for us was! So, the reason I am rating the Lae Nani as excellent is because I didn't have to stay there! This place is a real dump! The condo that was reserved for us was FILTHY, outdated, and unkept. The master bedroom bed still had hair on the pillows from the previous occupants (GROSS!) and the ceiling fan was covered with dirt and rust. The kitchen was the worst with a rusty dishwasher, rusty stove burners, crumbling cabinets, chipped and cracked floor tiles, etc. The living area carpet was peppered with stains. The patio doors did not lock. DO NOT STAY HERE. Go to the Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort. It may cost you a little more, but it is well worth it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Outrigger at Lae Nani? Share your experiences!