“Best restaurant on Kauai!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Hukilau Lanai is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 114 Restaurants in Kapaa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Glens Falls, New York
“Best restaurant on Kauai!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My husband and I dined at the Hukilau Lanai on the 4th of July, which was our last night on the island. We definitely saved the best for last! Every time we mentioned to locals that we were going to the restaurant, they would respond with "That is the best restaurant on the island" or "Oh my God, that's my favorite!" A young man on our snorkel cruise actually used to work there and he recommended the Ahi Nachos. What an amazing recommendation! They were delicious and the Ahi was incredibly fresh.

All the entrees come with your choice of soup or salad. I got the Caesar salad and my husband got the seafood chowder. I was instantly jealous of him when his chowder arrived. Oh. My. God. It was unbelievably tasty! My husband was extra hungry and wanted the prime rib. When he asked our server how large the prime rib was he said it was 12oz however we could upgrade to the "Gary Cut." This piece of meat was 16oz and it was only $2 per ounce more. Let me just say, my husband didn't stop talking about this meal our whole trip. He said it was the best prime rib he's ever had in his life. There was zero fat on it and he polished it off with little effort. I chose to have the Mixed Grill. The fish on this evening was Wahoo, another fish I can't remember and fresh prawns. The wahoo was the most delicious fish I've ever had. The sauces that the fish sat in were a pineapple sauce and coconut sauce. They were sweet but not overpowering and SO amazingly delicious.

If you are going to Kauai, you MUST dine at the Hukilau Lanai. I would definitely book a reservation in advance because it books up quickly. The restaurant sits in a hotel courtyard so there is not much of a view but the ambiance is very private and quaint. We let them know it was our honeymoon in advance and we had private table but again, no view. Don't miss out!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Vancouver
“Amazing last dinner in Kauai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Three of us had our last dinner here in Kauai before returning home, and it was the perfect way to end our trip. The food was unique, delicately flavoured, and just plain delicious! The serving sizes weren't too large, so we were each able to enjoy an appetizer, entree and dessert without feeling stuffed. We had a very nice waiter, who helped us with some of our selections, and we were all impressed that the prices weren't outrageous for such great food!

The setting was beautiful- right on the beach. If you want to go, I'd recommend reserving in advance. We were lucky to arrive in the afternoon and get a spot for later that evening, so we killed time on the beautiful beach that fronts the restaurant.

All in all, a perfect way to end a trip to Hawaii and send you back home happy :)

Visited January 2014
toledo, oh
“First Rate and Innovative Dishes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

The Hukilau is in a Hwy turnoff into a shopping center, inside of a hotel. Once you find it, it's well worth the effort.
It's a nice size so all tables get some open air feel and face the hotel gardens.
They do have a small lounge with a live vocalist and he easily could be heard from our dining table.
Rickey, our waiter did a good job of explaining all the unique cocktails and entrees.
They do work hard at the service.
We had the BBQ ribs appetizer and it was great, they were fall off the bone tender with a fabulous sauce and pickled watermelon pieces.
Soup or salad is included, the Wally salad has a sweet papaya seed dressing and my wife had a pineapple gazpacho. It was different from traditional gazpacho and brought mixed review.
My wife had the Mac nut encrusted chicken which was moist and tasty.
I had the mixed grill, which I would highly recommend.
Comes with a grilled shrimp skewer cooked just right. The rotating selection for this night included Cajun Mahi Mahi, very good, but the other selection was Waloo, not Wahoo, but Waloo. Never had it before, but now an absolute favorite. Made in a delicious sauce and this fish was so tender and mild. The plate also includes rice, also delicious.
We were actually to full for dessert,
I would definitely recommend the Hukilau, not cheap but a well prepared and quality meal.
Enjoy!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent combinations of food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Had many orders to sample with a group of 13. Not one thing was less than exceptional foods, including beautiful and creative arrangement, but when you taste each bite, there are layers of flavors bursting into an orgasmic experience!! Wait staff and restaurant made the perfect evening with family and friends.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Well deserved reviews!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We've been to Kauai perhaps 15 times, but had never been to Hukilau until this trip. Wow! The food really is excellent. We went three times in 2 weeks. We got the tasting menu with wine pairings the first time. The 5 courses were all decent to excellent, especially for the price and the large amount of food you get. The creme brulee was excellent. The wine pairings were rather weak, and the last few were difficult for me to put down, so I do not recommend the wine pairings. The next two times, we ordered various appetizers, but I had the mixed grill both times. Walloo is my new favorite fish, at least how Hukilau prepares it. The pineapple salsa on the mixed grill is a thing of genius. Also, if you find a better grilled shrimp kabob anywhere, let me know. My wife enjoyed the lobster bisque. N.B. the lobster bisque is somewhat of a misnomer, as it tastes like coconut curry soup flavored with classic Thai ingredients like coconut milk, curry, lemon grass, and galangal. There is actually very little lobster flavor to the bisque, but it is excellent nonetheless. The service is quick and friendly and it seems that everyone working there is happy. The third time we went, we took our four children. The keiki menu was excellent. Despite the keiki meals being somewhat small, the kids enjoyed them. We will certainly return over and over again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere