“The best restaurant we found on four islands! Shhh dont tell anyone else!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hukilau Lanai

Hukilau Lanai
520 Aleka Loop, Kapaa, Kauai, HI 96746
8088220600
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Hukilau Lanai is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 105 Restaurants in Kapaa
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Newcastle NSW
“The best restaurant we found on four islands! Shhh dont tell anyone else!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The flavours were excellent, - great fresh ingredients, good menu choices, lovely wine, beautiful service and lovely location. The staff were helpful and friendly without being all over you. Service was prompt and presentation was very good. Bookings were being taken two days in advance - but it is worth the effort to get a table here.

Visited June 2013

California
“Wonderful Dinner at Hukilau!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Since I read that this is where the locals go for a special night out, I picked the Hukilau to celebrate our 14 year anniversary. They use fresh ingredients from local farmers in Kauai and the neighbor islands. I do have to say that their advertisement of “ocean-view dining” is a little deceiving. It's more like a lanai where you “view” the ocean from afar.

We order their famous ahi poke nachos, which is delicious. And since they have impeccably fresh fish, I order the Opah (Hawaiian moon fish). It's similar in texture to a sword fish and not fishy at all. The Opah was served on a big bed of fettuccine in parmesan sauce. It came with their Wally salad, which had romaine, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, bacon, red onion, croutons, mandarin oranges, papaya seed dressing. And my daughter gets the Ahi – black & white sesame crusted with a citrus sauce. My husband gets the Prime Rib au Jus season in Hawaiian salt & secret spices. It came with mashed potatoes, and there were greens infused into the mashed potatoes. All the servings are large and we each take leftovers back to our condo. For dessert, we decide to share the Hawaiian Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee, which is decadent. Since we were celebrating our anniversary, they gave us a chocolate Happy Anniversary card, as well as two chocolate truffles!

They have a full gluten-free menu & vegetarian options as well. We didn’t know that if you ask for gluten-free starter bread, they’ll bring it out for you instead of the regular bread. When we found out, my husband asked if we could try some – and it took almost 15 minutes because they had to bake it! It came in the dish it was baked in and it was good- kind of like a focaccia bread, pretty dense and a bit on the dry side.

The service was good, however the waitress never introduced herself, so we never knew her name and she didn't wear a name tag. We noticed another waiter approaching a new table, and he also didn't introduce himself. I wish she would have introduced herself because I believe that personal touch can make a huge difference.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Never Lets You Down”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We visit Kauai regularly and last year decided this was our favorite restaurant in this region. We made reservations to go back wondering if it would be the same - it was! Great food, intriguing menu combinations and such a pleasant setting.

Visited June 2013
Tucson, Arizona
“best meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This was one of the best meals we've ever had. The tasting menu was wonderful. Each course was paired perfectly with the wine. The candied ahi was so good that I could have made it my whole meal. They are also very good with gluten free. I had my own gf bread, baked when I ordered. The wait staff was friendly and professional.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“Loved Hukilau Lanai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

My party of four all had the mixed seafood grill a few nights ago and it was as described in other reviews: Pineapple-skewered prawns escorted on either side of the plate by mahi-mahi and walu on the night we were there. Unlike many places we dined on Kauai, they actually had great, attentive service. A gorgeous ice water container was placed on the table right away, so we didn't have to keep asking. This was the only restaurant where we got bread, and it was delicious. The atmosphere was classic Hawaiian, with tiki torches and a lovely tradewind blowing. Service was impeccable and the price was a bit less than a few others in Kapaa that were overpriced in my view, like the Eastside. All in all, a lovely dinner - the best we had on Kauai.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere