“Amazing trip...” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Pittsburgh
“Amazing trip...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Went on a 6hr trip with Justin on the Ke Kila. It was a shared charter, but there was only one other fisherman and I on the boat with a captain and deckhand. Everyone was on time, and things were ready to go. Headed out right at 6:30am and were fishing shortly thereafter. In short order, we found lots of birds and then Contact! All in all we caught a 1/2 dozen Ahi totaling about 800lbs. Lost 2 others. Saw a Whale Shark, and despite dealing with some seasickness, this was a highlight of a great Hawaii vacation. Would recommend Deep Sea Fishing Kauai to anyone interested in a great shot at catching the big ones. Thanks guys for a great trip!

Los Angeles, California, United States
“"Fish with these guys!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I've fished deep sea often and have been on many long range fishing trips near Baja. We come to Kauai every November and usually fish out of Nawiliwili in Lihue. This year we wanted to fish the lee side, calmer waters and found Captain J out of Port Allen. We had the best trip ever!

Fishing is unpredictable in November because of the weather and nature of tuna. Captain J was professional, timely, and very courteous; and Josh was absolutely amazing at getting 7 rigs into the water. We decided on a six-hour charter as we heard some larger Ahi were hanging around about 7 miles out. We left as early as possible to get a jump on the trade winds and within thirty minutes Captain and crew were scanning the horizon for bird sign and sure enough massive piles of birds were diving and feeding. We made a run through it with the larger tackle and a small tuna hit one of the lures but brushed it off.

We saw those smaller 40#ers crashing so Josh quickly switched up to the 50s and got us back in the water so we could hand jig. Seems the 130#ers were mixed in and I found myself with a brute on lighter tackle. After 30 minutes, I lost and he won to fight another day. Quickly we were on them again with the larger gear we had a triple contact and hung one. With the help of all we decked our first 130#er.

Capt J and Josh were critical at keeping the fish hooked: maneuvering the boat, clearing the other tackle, and positioning the rod to best advantage.

It seemed that within minutes we filled the box with three large Ahi in the 130-150# range. Capt J headed up wind for another pass. We saw thousands of birds and crashing tuna with sickles slicing in the froth: a triple contact. We hung two and brought the first one in in short order but the last one spooled us to within a few yards. We gained quite a bit back but as we rested so did he and took one last run to finally shake us off. We were extremely pleased, though, with 500#s of Ahi in the box.

True to form, Captain J had a nice smaller Ahi back at the dock for us take back. A few hours later we had Ahi sashimi; and some seared with island teriyaki ; and memories for me and my family for a lifetime. This is one trip I will never, ever, forget. Days like this are extremely rare. I am tickled pink it happened to us and Captain J. I can’t be thankful enough.

Fish with these guys!!

Arlington, Virginia
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My girlfriend and I scheduled a 4 hour trip with Capt J for early Nov 2012. We were provided detailed instructions on where/when to show up. Just as scheduled, Justin and Chris were wrapping up last minute preparations when we arrived--these guys are on time! Being a long time angler myself, I explained I would certainly enoy pursuing a "big" one, but, wanted to save a little time to chase a few smaller ones for my girlfriend. They were very accomodating...within the first hour and a half, we had "CONTACT" and before I knew it, I was fighting a 188lbs yellowfin! It was awesome...the crew really knew what they were doiing! We had another smaller one of for a bit, but, weren't able to get it in. Then, as planned, we headed to a spot to fish for some smaller species. We had plenty of action. It is important to note that Hawaiian charters are different than those in places such as Alaska (hence, you don't have to buy a fishing license). The fish caught are kept by the company and sold to the local market...these charters are about the experience of catching the fish. Justin and Chris generously provided us some yellowfin they had caught themselves--we thoroughly enjoyed it. I would recommend this company...they do all they can to bring fish into the boat and accomodate customers, albeit, it is fishing and there are no guarantees. Be sure and discuss the length of the trip with Capt J--4 hours is short when you are chasing big fish and I'd definately listen to Capt J's recommendations so he can accomodate your goals--we did awesome! Thank you for helping me catch a fish of a lifetime! Until next time...

Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I read reviews about a variety of companies, and I am so glad we went with Captain J's team. I have only ever fished from the bank and have never sailed on the ocean, but Chris and Justin were so professional and competant, I felt completely safe and at ease, but they were still lots of fun too! :) The boat is not fancy and the crew is not in suits - just as a real working fishing boat should be. We understood that ALL of the fishing tours/companies on the island sell the big fish and cannot give these filets because to be sold at market the fish have to be whole - we caught some smaller tuna though, and were given enough meat for 8 meals (yes, C & J, per your request, we did not waste it and ate it all! I don't think I'll be having tuna for a while though, lol).
We expected a thrilling experience of a lifetime and we got it! Thank you guys and we will be back!

Visited October 2012
Orlando, Florida
“AWESOME !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Went in late May 2012, absolute blast! 4 people didnt show, and they STILL took just me and 1 paying customer. Rough seas, but maybe time of year. Trolled and hooked into a BEAST. Hit the largest rig in the center, spooled it down to the last 100 yards of line. First mate was try to stop the drag by squeezing the reel with his hands while boat driver backed up. Their excitement alone in what we hooked made us realize how big the fish was (they do this every day). The fish dove straight down, they never seen the pole bend like that, even called their other boat over to help us try and land it, our arms alone would have fallen off. After about 40 minutes, our 400lb liter snapped - would have rather landed it, but oh well still awesome. Line was very frayed, they said from a very large marlin most likely due to bill. Said some people fish their whole life to hook into something of that size. Other than that, we caught a lot of skip jack tuna, and used some meat to catch yellowfin by free lining with lava rocks on light tackle. If i make it back out, I will return to them. Very fun, skilled and helpful crew!

Visited May 2012