“Great place to stay on the East Coast” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 12 hotels in Kapaa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Montreal, Canada
“Great place to stay on the East Coast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

KCR is a great place to stay. The staff is very friendly and extremely attentive. We had some issues on arrival, but they were resolved as soon as it was possible. We stayed in a one bedroom garden view suit, but still we had some view of the ocean.
The property is very well maintained and beautiful. In fact this was one of the reasons we picked it as last year I stayed at the neighboring Courtyard Marriott, which wasn't this well kept. KCR is above average.
We had the option of no daily cleaning, yet we received a stack of clean towels every day as well as the garbage was taken out. It was perfect as this wasn't bothering anyone even if we were hiding in the room from the rain. I've got the impression that the rooms were thoroughly cleaned normally. Ours was definitely nice and clean on our arrival.
The problem we had was with the sofabed, it was addressed immediately, but they do seem to be ready for replacement. Otherwise everything worked fine in the room, which was very well equipped even with washer and drier, so we could leave half of our stuff home if we knew.
The resort is walking distance from the Coconut Market Plaza, which is very convenient since the restaurant is open only for dinners and even then it's a bit tough to get a reservation as it is a top rated Kauai restaurant - well deservedly.
Bigger groceries and shopping areas are 5-10 minutes drive, so the location is excellent from that perspective.
The beach looks nice but not quite for swimming. Considering that a bigger/second pool would be nice as kids and adults don't always mix well in this respect. The current pool is very pleasant, the right temperature for just hanging around and kids do so as much as their parents let them - rain or shine.
Overall it is a great place to stay on the East Coast for a relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: There are three floors but no elevators, so if you have issues with stairs you need to stay ground f...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

518 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Sidney, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

The staff at The Beachboy are way up the list on BESTEVER. Everyone always made a point of wishing a great day and acknowledging you...great people.
The properties are without a doubt some of the finest we have ever attended.
Our first time in Kauai...but certainly not our last!

Room Tip: Overlooking the spa area or ocean view would be a plus. But all rooms are so comfortable, it is hard...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

My husband and I recently took a much needed get a way at this Shell Vacations Property. I was pleasantly surprised at the condition of the rooms and grounds. This is a small resort...perfect for a romantic time. The restaurant on the premises was excellent. We enjoyed the local scenery and excersions also. Overall, it was the perfect spot for us to enjoy a romantic reunion after my husband's deployment!

Corvallis, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed 7 days after Thanksgiving 2012. While the complex is not new, but it is very well-maintained. A loud clicking noise from the pool filter building was annoying, however. The site is located in Kapa'a and separated from the highway by the Coconut Market Place, on an east shore beach. Our room overlooked the pool hot tub area with a short walk to the restaurant, and had an oblique view of the ocean. We ate two dinners at the restaurant. Both were excellent. The restaurant service was great, as was the rest of the resort staff--always helpful, and friendly. The room was quite pleasant, with a common room with full kitchen, one dining table and sitting area with a flat screen, and a veranda with a couple of chairs. A second flat screen was in the bedroom. A list of tv stations would be helpful, but none was provided. Granite bathroom counter, but no drawers to put stuff away. A closet-style stacked washer/dryer. We had daily housekeeping for the week and fresh towels every day. The location is okay because it is in the middle of the eastern coast, so travel to the rest of the island is feasible. This makes travel to the rest of the island possible within about an hour, if you can get away before traffic congestion becomes a problem. Kauai uses a reversible travel lane during commuting hours between Lehui and Kapa'a to accommodate the traffic. The four traffic signals in Kapa'a create a lot of congestion on the two-lane highway throughout the day. If you like your resort to be more integrated into the community than being isolated, it is great. A very good value and a place I will remember in the future. The concierge will offer to save you some money on an expensive activity such as a helicopter ride if you attend the Shell Timeshare sales--that will consume a 90+ minutes of your life you will never get back.

Osoyoos, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Recently stared at this resort for ten days. This was our first stay at this resort, but have stayed at other Shell resorts on the Big Island. While perhaps not fair, we did compare it to Holua Resort, and it did not fare too well. The building and rooms are quite dated, although very well maintained, as are the grounds. The bed was quite comfortable, but the pillows were as hard as rocks. Very uncomfortable indeed. The pool for us was disapointing, being quite small for the resort size, but was also well maintained. Very friendly and helpful staff, and an EXCELLENT maid. The one thing I really resented was the continual calls from the concierge. FIVE messages on our phone, plus two calls we received in the first day. This is after we told them we were not interested in taking "the tour".....far too pushy. We paid for a quite vacation, and not to be pestered. We ate once at the restaurant and had a wonderful sampler meal. Food was great, and price reasonable. Location also was great. Close to grocery stores and two small malls.

usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Keep in mind that the resort itself is *slightly* dated so you get what you paid for. Having said that, there were several things that I encountered during my stay that other potential guests should know:

1. Shower not strong enough - This is somewhat OK to me since the resort is slightly dated. I got what I paid for.

2. Musty smell coming from the kitchen area - I turned on the air-con for 4 full days and tried to get rid of the smell to no avail. I didn't bother to change my room because I kept the price point of this resort at the back of my mind. Again, I got what I paid for. (FYI: I emptied out the kitchen garbage and washed all dishes every night myself.)

3. Concierge - This part is totally unrelated to the price point of the hotel. People at the concierge were too pushy on asking me to join the time share presentation. OK, I could have just brushed them off easily. More, they called my room early in the morning (8.30am) to notify us to pick up a "welcome package". Regardless of how useful this "welcome package" was, unless it's some kind of emergency type of notification, why couldn't this be done by slipping a note under the door (We arrived from Korea and suffered from serious jet lag the second day)? They called again early in the morning the next day until I went to Concierge to pick up the package and told them no time share presentations and no activities.

This resort seems to push their guests very hard to visit the concierge, either to book their time share presentations or activities. The first warning sign was after my check-in, I was told to go to the concierge to pick up my "parking permit display" for my car. At that moment I was already thinking - Why couldn't the front desk just issued me one on the spot? And then it came the "welcome package" phone calls in the morning asking me to go to the concierge to pick it up.

I believe a vacation is for one to enjoy and spend one's time however one likes. If I intend to sleep in my hotel room for 24 hours, that's my choice and I don't think I should be disturbed unless emergency arises. I'd rather be paying a bit more to stay in a resort/hotel that values/respects its guests personal preferences.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here! The pool was amazing- the kids spent most of their time here - as did we!! The grounds are well kept. You see staff out and about in the mornings, tidying up fallen leaves and maintaining those beautiful plants!

The staff are super friendly! Always a genuine "Aloha" when you pass them. No problems checking in or out. They even offered us to use the pool for the day after our checkout since we didn't fly out til 11pm that night! We had housekeeping in our room for the week, and the maids always did a great job. She even tidied up our shoes in the entrance :) Nice touch.

We had a 2 bedroom condo for the week. We have 3 kids and everyone had somewhere to sleep! There is 2 single beds in one room, a king in the other and the couch is a pull-out (where my son slept). The room has 3 TVs! It was nice having our room away from the kids. The plus side: the door LOCKED.. on the negative: the bed was SUPER squeaky!!! ;)

The pool is gorgeous! Not too much chlorine either! I wondered if there was any at all in it, at first! The deep end is about 5", which is good for older kids and adults. There are small boards, noodles and inflatable loungers that you can borrow while swimming! If you are travelling with really small children, there is a nice sandbox near the pool area, stocked full of toys and fun sand gear!! Plus, a toddler pool that is really shallow ;) The picture I posted looks photo-shopped- but it's not! :)

The location is great! Kapa'a and it's shops are just up the road a few kms. There are lots of places to eat and shop. The Whaler's General store (behind the resort in the Coconut Marketplace) has all those miscellaneous things you may have left behind, for fairly reasonable prices. As well as souvenirs, liquor/beer, drinks, snacks and salts.

If this is your first time going to Kauai/Hawaii... Costco is a great place to get your groceries. There is a supermarket behind Costco in the mall called Times... their prices were pretty good, too.. and you didn't need to buy huge quantities.

We would definitely return here if we went back to Kaua'i!!

Room Tip: If you have kids, ask for the Blue Hawaii building, on the first floor (near the ocean)! We were in...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy? Share your experiences!