“Great Food, but....” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night
Koloa, Hawaii
“Great Food, but....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We've experienced Monicos a few times in the past and the service has never really been stellar, but tonight was the absolute worst. We got there while it was pretty packed so it was somewhat understandable that service would be a little bit slow. That's still no excuse for a lousy attitude! I had to ask the waitress for a drink menu and it seemed like a hassle to get it when it should have been included when she handed us our menus. The food was served promptly and as usual it was incredible! We all got some type of chimichanga and the portion size is huge and made perfectly. I usually get a burrito, but wanted to try something new and it did not disappoint. After we had all finished our dinners the waitress came to the table once to drop off the check but never cleared the table. We sat around in the afterglow of a great meal and still no waitress to clear the table. In fact we decided it was time to leave and she just stood by the cash register and my fiancee had to actually go in to pay the tab. I'll point out that the restaurant had pretty much cleared at this point so it's not like she was busy.

Bottom line... I recommend the food but not the service so don't go expecting to get award winning service. Might be better off getting your order to go and going down to the beach or back to your residence and eat it. We will be back, but only because the food is sooo good!

• Visited September 2013

“no good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

first time in kapaa we love Mexican food we ordered and the food takes one hour to get the food the waiter take our food to the wrong table so bad experience sorry

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Maui, Hawaii
“Took over an hour to get our order!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

This place only has about ten tables, so even when they are "busy", there isn't much going on. It took over hour to get our food after we ordered. The meat had so much grisel that one member of our group just gave up and ate PB&J back at the hotel. Prices were average, but we will not be returning there.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
chgo
“Delicioso!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Great service, awesome food, wonderful location! The fish tostadas are scrumptious! Some of the freshest fish! Also, the pastor tacos are great! This place is a must!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Atherton, California
“Best Fish Taco EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I was chatting with a sales clerk in a store in Hanalei and she told me to go to Monico's for the best Mexican food on the island of Kauai. Well I am from California, so I had to check it out. And it was well worth the trip. We sat at a picnic table outside (right on the highway), so forget "ambiance". After ordering it seemed a longish wait, though we did enjoy the terrific salsa and chips. But when the food came, I realized the wait was because they actually cooked each dish from scratch - no semi-prepared stuff microwaved.
The fish tacos had grilled whole scallops, shrimp, and fish fillet!!! The rice was zesty, but the frijoles were so tasty I ate it all (and I don't even like frijoles usually). The sauce on the tacos was so good I wanted to lick the plate. The price was reasonable and the food was amazing.