“Kayak Wailua and swim at Secret Falls” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 69 Activities in Kapaa
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Please be advised that the trail leading to Secret Falls has been greatly improved since November 16th, 2014. A board walk has been installed to span the ditches which have been very muddy for many months. Although the trail is often muddy and slippery, the overall hiking experience is substantially better. For those of you who hiked the Secret Falls trail earlier this year, all of the kayak companies thank you for your patience and understanding that the rain forest trail is through a wilderness which is subject to Mother Nature's whimsical behavior. Mahalo nui loa and a hui hou!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Georgia
11 attraction reviews
“Kayak Wailua and swim at Secret Falls”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

While in Kapaa one day we decided to take a Kayak trip up the Wailua River and swim at Secret Falls and we are glad we did. Well worth the $ and the day we spent. The double kayak was fun and the river beautiful to navigate.The hike up was muddy and slippery (need good water shoes). Lots of fun. Once we arrived at the Secret Falls we had healthy snacks and went behind the Falls and swam out into the pool of water at the base. The falls were flowing very fast and strong as it rained very heavily the day before. One couple had their snorkel goggles with them and could view through the falls, the rest had to hide their eyes and look away due to the strong splash of water. Take goggles. My husband and I were the last to get down to the falls and therefore last out for our group. One in our group took pictures of us by ourselves in the pool and falls- truly looked like we were at a romantic secret falls. The only regret is that we did not get to spend as much time there as we wanted. Next time we might do it on our own now that we know the hiking trail.

Visited May 2013

Santa Ana, California
5 attraction reviews
“Kayak Wailua River”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

What a great day this was. The staff is excellent, the kayaks are in great shape and they take you on a very nice trek. Kyle was our guide and was a great leader. We went up river, then headed East to an offshoot. It was like kayaking in a tropical jungle cave. Very cool. We stopped and hiked up to a waterfall for lunch and swimming.

Rent the waterproof camera. We brought our own lunch and snacks which turned out great. Many of these trips include the lunch, but I'd recommend this one instead.

Jackson, Tennessee
8 attraction reviews
“Great Trip- would use them again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This was my second kayak and hike up the Wailua river to Secret Falls. Our guide, Kawika (a local) was great. He was informative and friendly. The 'office' where you leave from doesn't have any facilities (no restroom, vending, etc). You'll need to bring everything you want or need. The only part that was frustrating about our trip was a family from California who was about 15 minutes late arriving (we all had to wait on them), and they were annoying the entire trip. They were always last on others had to wait on them. This is of course no fault of the company doing the tour, but it did affect the experience that we had. My suggestion would be to take a party of your friends or ask for a small tour when you book. My first trip was with a different company that provided water and lunch, but overall that was about $60 more expensive.....bring your own water and food. Use the coupon rate that you can find in several local magazines. Even with the coupon rate + tax and fees + seat back upgrade, you'll be at $55 per person. This is average or slightly less expensive than others that I found.

Helotes, Texas
3 attraction reviews
“An adventure worth taking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

I shopped the Internet for both value and positive reviews. I found both with Kayak Wailua. Their price is at least half of the other tour companies and the positive reviews were spot on. Our tour guide Johnny did a great job! Be warned though, between the paddling and hiking you will be tired by the end of the tour but it is well worth it. I would recommend this tour to anyone.

Detroit, Michigan
3 attraction reviews
“A have to if visiting Kauai!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

My husband and I had such a great time last Tuesday with Kayak Wailua on our kayak/hike to Secret Falls! Kyle, our guide was excellent! He was very personable and knowledgeable about what we were experiencing including the flora and fauna of the area and he also made it a lot of fun. We had a great group of people on our 10 am tour. The Kayaking was relaxed and enjoyable and the hike was beautiful. You definitely need water shoes for wading the river a bit and then continuing on with your hike. I actually wore my water shoes and switched over to sturdy walking sandals for the hike. I put my water shoes in a sealed bag in the back pack for the hiking portion. Don't miss out on getting in the water pool and swimming to the falls. It is amazing! Pack your lunch, they provide a soft sided cooler and large dry bag for all your stuff.
You don't want to miss this when you are on Kauai!