“Amazing” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 69 Activities in Kapaa
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Please be advised that the trail leading to Secret Falls has been greatly improved since November 16th, 2014. A board walk has been installed to span the ditches which have been very muddy for many months. Although the trail is often muddy and slippery, the overall hiking experience is substantially better. For those of you who hiked the Secret Falls trail earlier this year, all of the kayak companies thank you for your patience and understanding that the rain forest trail is through a wilderness which is subject to Mother Nature's whimsical behavior. Mahalo nui loa and a hui hou!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“Amazing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This was one of the exciting things we did on our trip to Kauai.

We were 2 adults and 2 kids (9yr old and 3.5yr old). We were not sure how this would work out but it was fine at the end. They accommodated all of us on a single Kayak.

David, our guide was very helpful particularly with the kids at each point.

The water in the secret falls is freezing. Swimming up to the falls and then standing directly under the falls was a lifetime experience. The water feels like ice cubes falling on your head but is very refreshing and I am sure I will have that memory for ever.

With the kids I was a bit apprehensive how it will work out on the kayak itself but in the end it was all great fun. Although the group had to wait for us to join them at each point but no one seemed to mind it and David was very helpful and had stories to tell about the highlights and the local flora (very little fauna on Kauai except for chickens everywhere).

One thing that can be a bit irritating is that they charge the same amount (around 46 dollars including compulsory tips taxes etc per person) for adults, kids and even for the toddler although you all may be on the same Kayak so it worked out much more expensive rather than just hiring a kayak. But overall we enjoyed it a lot.

GlobalPete2010, Owner at Kayak Wailua, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding our kayak waterfall tour. I know it might seem like the water is freezing but it is consistently 72 degrees and we check it frequently. The waterfall pool is shaded and the water supply is spring fed so it is always cooler than the ocean. Our price of $47.87 per person is the lowest rate of all ten kayak companies. It is the same low rate that we have offered for 15 years. Our permit restricts the number of kayakers per tour and the State of Hawaii DLNR charges the kayak companies the same rate for adults and children. Our insurance rates are higher because we accept all ages. Many companies will not allow children under age 10. We like to think that the adults are getting the kid's price. Sorry to sound defensive but we would not survive unless we charged the same "per person" rate for every age.

Clayton, California
“Forrest was an awsome Guide!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We did this trip and it turned out to be one great family outing. Even my 10 yo daughter loved it, both the kayaking and the hiking! Forrest made it very enjoyable with his humor and history of the place and the islands. He is a native of the islands and he gives you a very good propective of the differences between growing up on the islands and visiting the mainland. Oh yea, and the scenery was incredible! A must do if in Kauai!

Seattle
“High adventure w/ a witty, strong & capable guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

On a trip to Kauai, we decided to do a kayak/waterfall hike we had observed@ a view point high above the river. After biking the ocean trail in Kapaa, highly recommended, we observed a group of kayakers on the river & were rewarded w/ a rainbow on the valley. I'm glad I called ahead to ask the guide, Terada, about the kayak & hike. 2 days prior to this, the Napili Coast experienced 17" of rain & some hikers were airlifted off of the trail. The result was overflowing rivers on the other side of the island. Terada told me to be prepared to hike in mud & cross a river perhaps waist high while holding onto a rope. We were w/ our college age son & most of the van was filled w/ similar age groups. It sounded thrilling kayaking 2 1/2 miles & then hiking a mile into some grand waterfalls. Terada, our guide, gave excellent instructions before & we all felt quite confident. She is very strong carrying kayaks w/ 1 hand & walking barefoot over rocks & mud. Along the way, we received lessons in the fauna of the forest & history of the native Hawaiian culture. It was tricky crossing the river & we all slid into the mud on the trails until Terada gave a lesson in walking on mud on trails. "Embrace the mud by just walking in the middle & you won't slide." We did & there were no casualties of sliding off the bank into the river as other groups had. She generously took a family photo since we did not bring our camera or phones & e-mailed it to me. On the way back, she tested the river & the waters had risen & the current had increased. Noticing my reticence, she came back to the river & stood behind me while I crossed the raging river. I felt more secure w/ her there since I had knee surgery in Jan. & was still building up my strength.

Upon our return & my son winning the race back to the dock, we all concluded this was one of the highlights of our trip. It was edgy, exciting & unforgettable.

A recommendation to the park department that maintains these trails w/ so many users is to build a bridge over the river & divert the trail away from the river to higher ground. We noticed on other hikes, & after talking to the locals, the trails are poorly maintained.

Visited March 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Awesome Family Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

My husband, 8-yr old son and I took the kayak/hike adventure to the Secret Falls. We all had an amazing time! Our guide, TERADA or T, was awesome. She was polite, remembered all of our names (13 of us in our group) and shared interesting facts and stories during our trek. All the pics she took of our family turned out great…overheard that she does photography on the side….no wonder! I’d book with this company and her again. BTW, I recommend getting the high-back rests too!

“We love Forest!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

My wife, myself, and my son (age 7) had a great time. If you have a little one, they have a 2 1/2 kayak option that was perfect for us. Aside from the beautiful scenery, by far the highlight of our trip was our guide, Forest. He was hilarious and his knowledge of the island was terrific. We highly recommend the trip and you won't be disappointed.