We rented this home with another couple and loved almost every aspect of the home and location.
First the good:
1. The location, views and privacy are absolutely amazing. We spent every evening in the lounge chairs by the ocean watching the sunset and every morning watching the sunrise. It was like being in a Corona commercial.
2. Master bedroom and bathroom were huge, comfortable and the A/C was potent
3. The pool was clean, warm and perfect for lounging and enjoying the surf and views
4. Kitchen and outdoor grill were well equipped and enjoyable to use (lots of extra propane tanks)
5. Gail the owner was exceptionally responsive to meeting most of our needs.
6. Lots of nice extra's available for your day trips such as coolers, beach towels, mats, boogie boards, etc.
7. Downstairs rooms stayed cool enough to minimize need to turn on A/C.
8. 2 minute walk to a kid-friendly beach. 3 minute drive to a pretty good snorkel spot
9. Very clean inside and out.
1. If you have a bug phobia, I would recommend against staying here. The outside grounds are very lush and completely overgrown in our groups opinion. While it provides great privacy, we felt like Indiana Jones chopping through massive cobwebs and spiders every day. Plus the ants that are common to homes in Kauai were frequent visitors and if you go in/out frequently at dusk/night, the hordes of gnats that come inside were awful.
2. As mentioned in other reviews, there is no A/C in the main room and it must have been 90 degrees when we first checked in and was only cool enough to stay inside each morning as we opened every door and window we could find to cool it overnight (screens are on everything). The huge sky-lights certainly didn't help keep things cool either. However, the A/C in the master bedroom was outstanding but couldn't cool more than that room.
3. The kitchen knives were dull beyond comprehension. It's understandable since years of guests throwing them in the dishwasher will dull even the best set, but PLEASE spend a few dollars each year to get them sharpened.
Overall, the house is in such a fantastic location, that we would strongly consider staying here again, especially if some of its quirks are dealt with. $4,500+/week is too much money to have to battle insects on a daily basis. However, the location, pool and other amenities make it a very good vacation spot.
- Also Known As:
- Hale Hoku Kauai/Kalaheo