“perfect kauai lauchpad” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hale O Nanakai Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kalaheo
Hale O Nanakai Bed and Breakfast
You added Hale O Nanakai Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
3726 Nanakai Place, Kalaheo, Kauai, HI 96741   |
Ranked #1 of 9 Kalaheo B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“perfect kauai lauchpad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

My wife and I stayed here in Feb. 2014 (rainy season), and we were happy we stayed on the South side in Kalaheo, since the North was definitely more crowded and touristy and more likely to be rainy in the Winter. Kalaheo has several nice restaurants, and is basically equidistant from the depths of Waimea Canyon and the reach of the Kalalua Trail on the north side. Sheila's B&B is very comfortable and clean, and the breakfast has no heavy items (meat, eggs - which I like) but there is room in the fridge to supplement her excellent fruit, cereal, and breads/spreads, if you want. Also, it was a nice way to do breakfast because the time was very flexible, so you could grab a quick bite and go for early hiking/sailing/etc, or you could relax with some coffee and take a slower start. Sheila also has several useful maps and advice for touring the island, so I probably didn't need to do as much research ahead of time (although we were glad we looked up and splurged on Luau Kalamaku).

Overall, a great value B&B and very well run.

Room Tip: We stayed in Hina's Bed Chamber, which is small but comfy and nice, and you may have to share a...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
nanakai, Owner at Hale O Nanakai Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
We were so busy during the high season I am just now finding the opportunity to write a response and thank you for your glowing comments. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I hope you will return again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
chicago illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay. Our master suite was really just a room and bath, but lovely and ample. We spent much of our time on the deck with its beautiful view. The breakfast set up was marvelous. The fruits were plentiful and delicious and we appreciated the flexibility of eating whenever we chose. The owner is very nice and helpful, other guests friendly. Once again we were glad we went the "B&B route".

Stayed January 2014
nanakai, Owner at Hale O Nanakai Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely review! It was a pleasure to host you. I hope you will return again!
Mahalo,
Sheila and Emily
Redding, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

just right. great hostess. very knowledgeable of sites to see. we stayed in laka's garden so breakfast was not included but the welcome basket was chock full of local ripe fruit and nuts and jam and coffee. very nice fully equipped kitchen. nice new bathrooms. very comfortable beds. centrally located for all east and south shore activities. beach gear and umbrellas and coolers available to guests. highly recommend it for those who don't want to stay at a resort. in a quiet, residential neighborhood on a hill with a view of the ocean in the distance!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MAHINASHEILA, Owner at Hale O Nanakai Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Thank you so much for your delightful review. Please visit again!
CEDAR PARK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We took a two day hiatus from our resort up in Pinceville to stay at the Hale O Nanakai B&B. Located on the south side of the island in a neighborhood with sweeping views of the coastline, it doesn't get any better or closer to home than this! If you're looking to tour the National Tropical Botanic Gardens, the Waimea canyon, take advantage of the unique, artisan shopping in Hanapepe, or spend some time at the south's incredible beaches, Hale O Nanakai is ideally situated in the middle of the goings on. You can even zip up to Lihue very easily.

Sheila is a fantastic hostess - prepared for anything and has all the knowledge you need to do any of the magnificent activities on the island. She promptly greeted us when we arrived, and showed us our rooms on the second floor - explaining the breakfast spread, and all of the amenities available to us such as umbrellas, beach toys and really, anything that you could ever possibly imagine you would need for an outing on the island - rain or shine, beach or rainforest. She also spent some time with us, offering us a hiking book and some really great maps, with personal advice as to the activities we had planned. Going further, she even printed out the menu for both The Beach House restaurant which we had expressed interest in, as well as a local gluten-free bakery for my Mom. Personal attention to the details? Check!

As I mentioned, we stayed on the top floor and booked the Kahili Suite and the adjoining Maile Room. We were fortunate enough to have the entire floor to ourselves which included an extra bathroom in the main area, beautiful living room, dining room and kitchen, as well as a huge porch with lots of places to view the fantastic view of the sea. The Kahili Suite is an intimate room with incredibly soft linens and pillows - plenty of room to stretch out. With a private bath and vanity, it was perfect for my husband and I. The adjoining Maile Room was perfect for my Mom - a single bedroom, also with plenty of room to stretch out, very comfortable. We were all very happy to finally have great showers, as our resort up north did not have the greatest showers with water pressure - no problems here, though! The main areas of the top floor are stunning, with many unique and interesting accents such as trinkets, fresh flowers, (heliconias) and local books galore. We really enjoyed sitting at the couch and flipping through the many books Sheila has - from botanical books to Hawaiian history, to hiking, to Hawaiian inspired comics. We also enjoyed eating breakfast with the fabulous view, and playing cards in the evening at the dining room table. I would also like to mention a very important point, free internet access. Not just free internet access, but GOOD internet access. Yay!

The morning breakfasts were more than ample for the three of us - offering almost everything you can imagine or ever want. Bagels, bread, cream cheese, butter, juice, milk, *amazing* coffee, teas, 3 different kinds of cereal, fresh fruit accented with flowers, (white plumerias) yogurt...I could go on. As an added touch, because it was noted that we were staying for our anniversary, Sheila and her staff provided champagne and a very nice card to my husband and I, it was wonderful! We also really loved the dishes - very Hawaiian, featuring red Anthuriums and bamboo accents. Neat!

There is a reason that Hale O Nanakai is rated highly not only on Yelp, but on Trip Advisor as well. Sheila has created a simple, elegant, comfortable balance of accommodations that are truly a pleasure to enjoy. I can only hope that one day I will come back to Kauai, and if I do, I will certainly spend some time here again, as it was one of the highlights of our vacation. Thank you for everything Sheila!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
nanakai, Owner at Hale O Nanakai Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
This was such an amazingly fantastic review, that I placed it -- in its entirety -- on the "see Kauai" section of my primary website! I can't thank these lovely guests enough for their appreciation and acknowledgement of all of the things I have worked so hard to put in place for my guest's comfort and enjoyment. They did not miss one single detail that I have painstakingly placed in the B&B and they had such wonderful things to say I was glowing for days! From the Sleep Number beds, to welcome champagne for special occasions, tropical flowers, decor, linen, great views and fresh local fruit, this family took it all in and enjoyed it to the max. Thank you for making my dream come true. Your appreciation demonstrates to me that I have achieved the goal I set out to attain. Thank you for the kudos!

Having been in the B&B business now for 6 years, I can only express how rewarding it is to hear such pleasing comments on service and assistance, not to mention the value and recognition it generates. It means the world means to me. I have put my heart and soul into my business and I am indebted to those who notice and appreciate these efforts. I'm hoping that future anniversaries will bring this dear party of 3 back to Hale O Nanakai with additional family members in tow!additional members of your family.
Mahalo Nui Loa!
Beverly Hills, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I took my father to Hawaii for his 80th birthday, and the Hale O Nanakai was perfect for the three of us. We booked Hina's bed chamber and the Maile room, which share a bathroom and the upstairs common rooms, and look out to the awesome deck. This gave my dad some privacy. Hina's bed chamber was a little cramped but we made it work, and it didn't matter since we spent most of our time there relaxing in the common areas. It really feels like you are renting an apartment! There was another room behind our rooms and the common area, and people staying there can enter and share the common areas and the deck, but we only saw them at breakfast time and we all got along fine. (But if you are tempted to relax maybe too much in the common area just remember others can come in any time...) Breakfast was great - Dad couldn't get enough of the fresh fruit and pastries. As others have said, the views from the deck are simply beautiful, and the location in a great neighborhood helps you feel like you are really living there (I wish!!). We loved this Hale and hope to return someday!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
nanakai, Owner at Hale O Nanakai Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
I just can not express the exhilaration and gratitude i experience when receiving a rare review tagged "Perfect!"
Your kindness and appreciation are just delightful and I am so pleased that your family vacation was everything you were hoping for. I'm sure your father will keep this trip at the top of his list of "lifetime favorites" and one that you will remember for many years to come.
We pride ourselves on those locally-grown fresh fruit breakfasts (with fruit grown in the nearby Lawai Valley) and believe that this "Hawaiian" type of diet will keep people strong and healthy.
Please keep us in mind for your next visit or family get together, where you can rent the entire upstairs for yourselves with complete privacy and full cooking privileges too!
Mahalo Nui Loa!
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Lovely home in a residential neighborhood. The king suite includes a comfortable adjustable bed and a well-appointed bathroom arrangement. The suite is separated from another bedroom by a sliding door which could create privacy concerns if both are occupied. The WiFi worked great. The ample breakfast consisted of cereals, bagels/bread and fruit --no egg/meat option. The common area is beautiful and comfortable and the deck looks out over the sea. The in-room TV screen is small, of no concern to us. There are at least three good-to-very good restaurants in town as well as the splendid Kukui O Lono garden and nine hole golf course. Expect to be awakened by the ubiquitous Kauai roosters. We were delighted with our stay.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
What a delight to hear your glowing satisfaction with your room and all of our amenities! We strive to encompass and take into consideration many varieties of tastes, comfort levels, dietary concerns and aesthetic surroundings. On some occasions, I do successfully trap the ubiquitous rooster or two, and relocate them at the nearby Kukuiolono golf course, where golfers and walkers actually feed them! How much more of a win - win situation could one ask for?
Mahalo Nui Loa! Please hurry back.
Hanalei
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Stayed here in December for a couple of nights and I was so sweet. I am a single woman traveler and it was the perfect safe getaway for me. The host even upgraded my room for no additional fee so I could be more comfortable! Thank YOU! I will be back with my man soon....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
nanakai, Owner at Hale O Nanakai Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review. When space is available I like to upgrade guests to make their experience at Hale O Nanakai one of serene enjoyment. I look forward to your return with your partner, so you both can enjoy privacy and luxury in our Kahili Master Suite (with a King size Select Comfort Sleep Number bed), or our lovely Laka's Garden apartment (with a Queen bed and full kitchen) -- each one being perfect for privacy and relaxing.

Been to Hale O Nanakai Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!