“Lovely little spot.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hale O Nanakai Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kalaheo
Hale O Nanakai Bed and Breakfast
You added Hale O Nanakai Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
3726 Nanakai Place, Kalaheo, Kauai, HI 96741   |
Special Rate
$75 (USD)
Ranked #1 of 10 Kalaheo B&B and Inns
“Lovely little spot.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for four nights, adorable little house with a lovely view of the ocean and the island. NOT right on the beach but a quick 10 min drive from shopping, the best beach I visited on Kauai, and great resturaunts. Owner was gracious and nice, staff was enthusiastically helpful and friendly. We stayed in two different rooms, the suite downstairs - beautiful and very private and the private upstairs with a comfortable bed. In the mornings you can sit up on the deck and enjoy the sun with a great view and plenty of fresh fruit! If you've happened to stumble on this place and its available you'd be crazy to pass it up!

• Stayed January 2013
MAHINASHEILA, Owner at Hale O Nanakai Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! You were wonderful guests. In Hawaiian, "Mahalo Nui Loa!"

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

we stayed for a week over New Years and had a great experience. The neighborhood is quiet, the view from the deck and dining area are lovely. Sheila puts the tasty and creatively plated breakfast items out early so if you are on mainland time you can enjoy an early meal. She was so sweet and had champagne and chocolates for my birthday. I highly recommend this island gem.

• Stayed January 2013
Congratulations on your Anniversary! I am so pleased that you were happy with your experience here! We will be waiting for your return on anniversaries to come.
La Jolla, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

SInce this was our first time to Hawaii and we were eloping, we could have not asked for a better place to stay or a better B&B owner, Sheila. Sheila was really helpful and so kind. It was like we have known her for years. She was able to provide great suggestions for dining and an officiant for our wedding ceremony. We love vacationing like a local and that is exactly what the B&B provided along with a beautiful room (laka's room) where we were able to cook meals, relax in the front yard, and go on great runs in the neighborhood. Thank you Sheila!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful review. I am thrilled that you had such a great time! Hurry back.
San Jose, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We had a wonderful time at this Bed and Breakfast. My husband and I stayed in Laka's room (downstairs unit).

The pictures do not do the place justice, the decor is really beautiful, and we were delighted to find the place nestled up a hill, away from neighbors, and with amazing ocean views.

It was fantastic to have a full kitchen at our disposal, we saved a LOT of money by making our own breakfastes and dinners. All in all, this place is really a good bargain for the price, as comperable places with a full kitchen can cost $100 more per day sometimes than this place.

My favorite feature about the place is the air flow, lighting, and the views. You can feel cool ocean breezes and lots of sunlight enters through the large windows. If you want privacy, just close the blinds/curtains. But this place is rather secluded, and there's not a lot of people around, so that's really not an issue.

My only recommendation is that I wish there were a washer/dryer for guests to use (even for a fee), as the nearest laundry mat is quite a drive away. Also, I recommend folks make good use of the beach shoes, beach mats, ice boxes, back packs, etc. available for guests to use. But, most of the snorkeling equipment has seen better days and often leaks. We ended up renting top-notch snorkeling gear in Poipu for a whopping $5/day.

The B&B is conveniently located by Poipu, which is a tourist trap but does have have beautiful beaches and some of the best and safest snorkeling on the island. Definetely treat yourself to a steak dinner at the local steak house, you will love it.

The North Coast is a bit of a drive. If you leave after "rush-hour" (yeah, right), you can get there is 40-50 minutes, but its nearly impossible to not take side trips and explore along the way...

We highly recommend the Hale O Nanakai Bed and Breakfast, and I hope we can come again next year!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MAHINASHEILA, Owner at Hale O Nanakai Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you so much! I am truly delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I hope to get some type of laundry option in the future.
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Our 3-night stay in May at Hale O Nanakai in Kalaheo was delightful. Our room, Kahili Master Suite, was en suite, very clean and beautifully decorated. Each morning we enjoyed a generous, self-serve breakfast of cereals, fruit, rolls, cheese, and surprises from the market, with a choice of enjoying our repast on the veranda overlooking the ocean or in the lovely interior dining area. The B&B was located in a nice, quiet setting and well placed for visiting local sites such as Allerton Garden, Waimea Canyon, Spouting Horn and the closeby amenities of Poipu but without the crowds. Tiny downtown Kalaheo surprised us with a welcomed choice of eateries. Thanks to our hostess Sheila Heathcote who provided all the answers to our many tourist questions, we thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the South Shore of Kau’ai.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
MAHINASHEILA, Owner at Hale O Nanakai Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
It is so nice to get a glowing review. It makes all the hard work pay off! Thank you, kindly.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I had a fantastic stay at Hale O Nanakai B&B in Hina's Bed chamber for a few days. It's my favourite room. I love Kauai it's one of the best island in Hawaii. Staying here was excellent, I really enjoyed the views, the true Hawaiian atmosphere, location and our hostess went to great lengths to ensure my stay was a memorable one. I will be returning!

Room Tip: All are fine.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
MAHINASHEILA, Owner at Hale O Nanakai Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! I hope you return soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

From the glowing reviews and website marketing I was expecting something pretty special. It was nice enough, but a bit disappointing after the hype. If I were expecting "better than average" I would have been pleasantly surprised.

Laka's Garden is a suite in the lower floor of the main building. Not large, a little dark and pleasantly but not beautifully decorated. I was awoken by footsteps upstairs in the morning.

I ended up warming to Sheila, but we had a couple of issues which caused unnecessary friction. Firstly I discovered that I would need to cancel my last night as I needed to camp near Hanalei for an early start. I asked if any refund was possible, but it wasn't, understandably.

Then in the morning I found there was no milk or sugar for the tea and coffee, so I asked for some. Sheila provided a jug of milk and some old (solidified) sugar sachets, which was fine, but she also said it wasn't normally supplied and "You obviously didn't read the cancellation policy or the room description."

Well I did recall that a fruit basket was supplied in lieu of breakfast (and I enjoyed that), but I've never stayed anywhere that didn't have sachets of sugar and at least packets of creamer for tea/coffee. Sheila's response made me feel quite unwelcome, like I was imposing.

When it came to paying my balance, Sheila didn't have change, so I emptied my wallet and we had an awkward stand-off over the last $1.25 or something, but then she said not to worry about the last $30, because I was not staying the third night. An odd mix of tension and generosity.

That said, I had arranged for a parcel to be sent there and it arrived after I checked out. Sheila was very helpful about that, even calling to check I hadn't forgotten and offering to send it on for me.

The only other B&B I stayed in on Kauai was Kauai Country Inn. Hale O Nanakai is nice enough, but not in the same league, though almost the same price ($145 vs $149).

• Stayed June 2012
Each guest who makes a reservation through my website has to check a box that they agree to the cancellation policy. I also send a confirmation letter, map and B&B info -- which again includes the cancellation policy.
Laka's Garden has a screened in living room and that area is very bright. The bedroom area has three lamps and an overhead light. In Hawaii dark means cooler temperatures
I provide a Welcome Basket for guests staying in Laka's Garden which includes pineapple, papaya, kiwi, apple, orange, a bok of Kauai cookies, a large bag of Kauai coffee, a box of chocolate covered macadamia nuts, a pack of roasted macadamia. In five years this is the first time I had a request for cream and sugar. I always tell my guests on check-in to let me know if they need something and I will gladly supply it (within reason).
About noise in other parts of the house -- this is an old house, single wall construction, and it is not insulated like a hotel room. Additionally, in Hawaii doors and windows are left open so sound tends to travel more so than in a hotel. However, I provide a "Sleep Mate" device, which makes soothing background noise like rainfall, and have ear plugs available upon request.

Been to Hale O Nanakai Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!