“Great place, great breakfast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kalalau B & B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hanalei
Kalalau B & B
You added Kalalau B & B to your Saves list
4516 Uku Lii Place, Hanalei, Kauai, HI   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Hanalei B&B and Inns
Leeuwarden, Friesland, Netherlands
“Great place, great breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

We stayed here last year during our honeymoon and loved the place. Especially the jacuzzi after a nice surf in Hanalei.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

Great location, wonderful owners, great price. Get back to an older time in Hawaii with the Kalalau B&B.
I booked last minute with no problem via internet. Directions to the place are specific and accurate. The owners have Aloha running through them and I felt the place gave me an insight into the real Hawaii. Linens were clean, bed was really comfortable, and the spa tub was amazing. Sitting in the hot tub looking at the starts drinking a scotch. ahhhh.
Great Mediterranean restaurant across the street and the art gallery/coffee shop opens at 7 am

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Foster City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011 via mobile

i made my reservation at the last minute to stay in the cottage for two nights. it was the only place available in my price range. the cottage is on the back of the property and above a carport. it was perfect for me. I felt like I was in a treehouse in the jungle. good screens keep the mosquitos out. the lanai is screened in with a bed and a table where I could do artwork. yes it was musty and damp, but that's hanalei!!! location was great.

the neighbor was building a stairway and it was noisy, plus i could smell their cigarettes. these were the most disturbing part of my stay but I just decided to let it roll off my back.

the Mediterranean restaurant across the street was not good and is overpriced. a day spa is also there, and a coffee and art place.

mike and sandy were okay hosts. the breakfast cost extra ($12) but was worth it and there is enough to take with you for later or the next day. the cleaning fee is ridiculous ($75) to me as I'm a tidy guest plus they didn't do daily cleaning and linen change. oh well. it's kind of hard to complain about anything in paradise.

• Stayed November 2011
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

Do you like hours of ukelele playing and singing by the owners in the room next door until 11pm? (favorites, such as She'll Be Coming Around the Mountain and Eric Clapton's Wonderful Tonight)
How about a musty bedroom and even mustier kitchenette that don't appear to have been painted in 25 years?
The owner's dogs yapping and fighting in the room next door, complete with the owners screaming at them to shut up?
Grumpy, not particularly friendly owner who was terse and very rules-oriented?
Oh, and a door between your room and the owners' house that doesn't lock?
And paper thin walls, so you can hear every detail and word of yapping, conversation, and sing-along?

So here's the deal. After looking at the Kalalau BnB website, my husband and I decided that it looked cute and nice enough for a three night stay, so we made a reservation and paid upfront for the Kalalau Room. We are not super picky people - we don't require four-star service or the best of the best. But we do look for places with friendly folks, clean and quiet sleeping spaces, and honest business practices. So I was floored when we showed up. The owner, Mark, was very terse with us and not particularly friendly (he even snapped at me for leaving the bedroom door open for 10 seconds because I was "letting the mosquitos in"). He guided us to our room, which was actually a poorly lit room, attached to his house by a sliding door with no lock. And I couldn't believe the amount of musty/moldy smell coming from the bedroom and especially from the kitchenette - it was pretty awful. Their two dogs would intermittently yap (remember, paper-thin walls) which drove me a little crazy, but we decided, hey, it's alright, it's not perfect but we can deal with this. What happened later that evening, however, was that the owners had a party (which they hadn't even warned us about) in the room next to ours. Again...paper-thin walls. And hence commenced a five hour sing along until 11pm, only broken for a few minutes in the middle by a rather vicious sounding dog-fight and the owners screaming at the dogs to knock it off. I was pretty horrified at this. My husband and I spent the evening looking for another place to stay for the next two nights, deciding to give up our other two nights' deposit and just suck it up for some place quiet and clean.

What bothers me the most about this situation is two-fold:
1. The website is very misleading about the nature of the space - it is not a "bed and breakfast", it is an old room attached to someone's house, with which there will be no guarantee that you will have a quiet night (which you should be guaranteed if you're spending $110 a night plus tax) - the yapping dogs are just ridiculous, the sing-along was unbelievable.

2. The owners were not particularly friendly and did not apologize for the racket they were making next to the bedroom of paying guests. When we told Sandy very politely that we would not be staying for the other two nights, she said, "was it because of the noise"? We responded that it was, and instead of apologizing, she only said that it wouldn't be that loud the next two evenings. No, "hey, I'm sorry it was loud, we should've let you know what was going on" or anything. I think that's poor form.

Common courtesy and business integrity can go a long, long way to make up for a less than perfect space, and I didn't experience that in the least at this place.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
san francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

The Kalalau B&B stood out amongst several other accommodations we had in our week on Kauai. This truly was a budget place for anyone really needing to save approximately $40-$50/night versus other pleasant options on the north shore (that’s $110/night versus $160 elsewhere).

If you’re into saving the money (fyi, I’m talking the equivalent of eating one meal out in Hanalei with your sweetie), you may be prepared to take the slightly dingy and musty room in stride. It’ll be nostalgic, full of memories of hostels you stayed in while backpacking in your early 20’s! If you’re in the budget spirit, you’ll appreciate cooking in the dark on the communal bbq (the only cooking appliance) and the unneeded expense of covering the area with an awning or the like as the the storms pass overhead soon enough. You’ll also appreciate that in staying in the Kalalau Room, the residents are actually have you staying in a room in their home that shares a wall with their kitchen. You’ll feel like you’re at home with pots and pans clanging in the next room - this isn’t no fancy-shmancy resort! If you appreciate cutting corners on expenses, you’ll appreciate that their dogs haven’t been to any upscale obedience classes and fight and yelp like the best of them. There is one area where the Kalalau B&B didn’t skimp out and that’s the generous free Hawaiian (and random 70’s/80’s tunes) sing along concert (6pm-11pm) that they provided just on the other side of our shared wall, so that we wouldn’t miss a single word. I was told this was a rare event (only a couple a year), so don’t get your hopes up that you’ll get that special event packaged in with your stay at the B&B.

In the end, we decided that we weren’t really budget minded like the residents of Kalalau B&B at all. They kept their apologies (and our other two nights of pre-payment) to themselves and we not only generously gave them the room in their home back but generously handed over another $320 of our money to an establishment back towards town for two respectful and generous nights in a clean and quiet four star villa.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

Mark was very welcoming and makes a good breakfast and the place is full of character. There was beach and snorkelling equipment to borrow. The Cottage is a huge room on the (UK) first floor with a kitchen area, a bathroom and a big lanai. Everything was well-used and a bit faded but it did all work. Good mosquito screening was a positive. It's surrounded by jungly vegetation which means it was cool but rather damp and dark. There was no cleaning service, just the $75 extra for a clean after you've left. Great location.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

The Jungalow is a small (12x12) room attached to a garage. It's charning, even though you are sleeping on your 12 year-old nephews giraffe print sheets and cheetah comforter.

The walls are solid on the bottom and a bamboo screen on the upper 1/2. The door is completely bamboo screen, but the weave is loose enough than anyone who walks in or out of the house can see you. Naked, sleeping, stretching or whatever. there is always the awareness that you can be seen. The rack of swim fins/coolers that guests can borrow is about 10 feet from your door. As I am writing this a few people just walked 5 feet from us to their room.
The wi-fi is advertised, but is inconsistent and weak. We kept getting dropped on three different devices..
There is minimal pr ivacy. You can shower without being seen, but the toilet is 5 feet down the wall from he owner's bedroom. As you pee, you can hear them cough or snore
You are sleeping 10 feet from the only north/south highway on the island. Traffic is infrequent from 9 p.m. to 4:00 a.m. but it's busy and just outside your pillow by 5 a/.m. If you are a light sleeper., bring earplugs. But really, you should be up and moving before sunrise anyway.

No linen or towel changes in the three days we stayed here. It's not like we are high maintenance, but it would have been nice to be asked.

You have no auditory privacy. You can hear anything from the main house (coughs, conversations, etc.) And they can hear anything from you (orgasms.)

I would reccomend this for the single traveler who just wants a place to crash and clean up, but not for couples.

The greek restaurant across the street is very, very good, but other than a coffee shop, there are no other businesses nearby.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Kalalau B & B? Share your experiences!