“Good but......” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 37 Restaurants in Hanalei
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Los Angeles, California
“Good but......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had several items. dates with cheese, nuts & orange. Lentils. Ono with purple potatoes & fennel cream (amazing flavor). short ribs with a marvelous sauce & black rice. I think we had one more dish but cannot remember. Their wine & beer choices were fair. It was all very good but later in the week we had tapas at Josslins in Poipu which was much better so I cannot give Bar Acuda 5 stars altho we enjoyed it.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Phoenix, AZ
“Disappointing Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Based on the strong ratings Bar Acuda has received from other members, we had high expectations but walked away disappointed. The meal was average, at best, although service was cordial and attentive.

In light of the fact that there aren't a large number of 'sit down' dining options in Hanalei, Bar Acuda likely receives the high marks noted on the site... however, I'd suggest that expectations be tempered somewhat based on our experience.

Visited July 2013
Hingham, Massachusetts
“What a great spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

My wife and I were in Kauai for our babymoon and we swung by Bar Acuda on our way back to our hotel from Tunnels beach. I assumed it would be good, but boy was I impressed with the food, the atmosphere and the overall experience. Great, cool vibe with delicious drinks and so many awesome options on the menu that we almost went back on our last night.

Highly recommend this place, and hope to see it again! Give it a shot - I doubt that you'll be disappointed.

Regards,
Dan & Sage

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“The Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

After our first night we decided to eat there 4 or our 7 nights and we were not disappointed.
Bar Acuda has a great fresh and inventive menu with very nice pairings of wine ,
One of my favorites was the Honeycomb appetizer !! Just Splendid !

I am a little late with the review we ate there the first week of January !

Make it your first dinner and sat at the bar or at the kitchen table

Watching them make the food is just as fun !!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Tasty Tiny Tapas Make a Huge Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I've been told that "Less is More". My family is by no means overweight. In fact, my nine year old is extremely tall for her age (5'4") and has a size 5T waist. However, we like to eat - especially in a restaurant. Bar Acuda serves tapas or Spanish for appetizers. That's all besides the bar drinks. We ordered a lot of food and still left hungry. Each "course" was a tiny portion that definitely did not feed the recommended 4 people. It would not have satisfied a Munchkin from the Wizard of Oz or a Lilliputian from Gulliver's Travels and did not satisfy our family either. However, the types of tapas was extremely pleasing. The pork and polenta combination was fabulous as well as the Mesclun salad with goat cheese. Pass on the chorizo and apples though - I'm from Texas and we do chorizo right here. Afterwards, we watched our children lick clean the chocolate pots de creme while we drank espresso. After 14 different tapas and dessert and a few drinks, we came away empty in our bellies and our wallets. Be prepared to grab a burger on the way back to your hotel.

• Visited July 2012