“Food was great, chickens and roosters not so much!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch
Lakeland, Florida
“Food was great, chickens and roosters not so much!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stopped by this little food truck during a photo tour that we took. My first introduction to local Hawaiian food, and the food was fantastic, I had the kalua pork sandwich, which Id love to have again! They were busy, I could tell a lot of locals go here and love the place. I, personally, dont like all the roosters and chickens that stare you down while you eat, but my son did and he chased them around, so at least they kept him busy while I stuffed my gut. We would go back here!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

England
“Not the cleanest of places. Food was pot luck hit or miss.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We stopped by here for lunch as part of a photo tour. To be honest, if there were other options open at the time or opportunities later on, i would have eaten elsewhere.

I lucked out with my choice (bbq kalua sandwich) as it was actually very tasty. However most others in the group were disappointed and said their food was tasteless. It didn't feel too hygenic that roosters were up on the tables pecking etc so I would have preferred to grab and go!

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Mokena, Illinois
“Best Hawaiian Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is a must stop when I am in Kauai. This trip I went for the chicken lau lau plate, but was talked into the Shoyu Chicken Special. When I asked what is was the girl explained that it is a local favorite and they slow cook in this sauce and it falls right off bone. I decided to try it.....OMG this is fantastic!! If someowe asked me what it tasted like I would say - Thanksgiving. It was so good, I am driving myself crazy looking for this recipe. My husband raves about the kalua pork, he says it is the best he has had on the island.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hopewell, New York
“Nice local food truck”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We had lunch here as a stop on our Kauai Photo Tour excursion.
The plate lunches and daily specials are good.
We got the lau-lau and the Kalua pork plate, tried poi again, the results were the same it doesn't add to the experience but you gottat give it a shot.
The lunches here are a good value and chickens are ready to scoop up anything you might drop.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lake Stevens, Washington
“Plate lunch Hanalei Style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Both times I've visited Kauai, I've had lunch at the Hanalei Taro & Juice Company. Last week I stopped for lunch during my Kauai Photo Tour. Delicious food as usual. Great plate lunch selection. Like other customers have mentioned super friendly service with a smile. Ate at the picnic tables. Where else in the world can you enjoy a Hawaiian plate lunch with a rooster or two walking across the tables??? Didn't try any of the juices, but looked like they were a big hit with other folks. Promise I'll be back again someday.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere