“amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 Hanalei B&B and Inns
Flourtown, Pennsylvania
“amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

Every detail is perfect, it is obvious that Kirby and Toby have thought of everything and I mean everything! I would highly recommend it to anyone and would go back in a minute myself! The breakfast is a feast. Thanks.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Wife and I just stayed there for 3 nights Feb 2012.

Room: Stayed in the Pineapple room, yep, the bed is round, but did not come close to falling off. Very clean. Roosters do start screaming at 3am, but did not really bother me. No room keys, but you can lock from inside.

The place: The 4 bedrooms and common rooms are up 16 ft high (there is an elevator if needed, and the artwork in the elevator is worth checking out) because that is the law for potential flood. Well laid out. Comfortable. Clean.

Breakfast: Very good....Day 1 : blueberry macadamia nut waffles; Day 2: eggs however you like; Day 3: pancakes, sausage. Each day with fresh fruit, granola, juice, coffe, etc. I was hungry, they offered more. I was happy!

Toby and Kirby: Both very nice. I read some reviews before about Toby being not so nice.
He would be the first to tell you that he is not trying to win the concierge-of-the-year award, but I enjoyed talking with him, helpful, nice guy and good cook!

Drive from Lihue airport or town: There aren't lots of street lights, but the windy roads are in very good shape, and easy to drive, I actually enjoyed it even at midnight the first night.

Cats: They do wander in one of the common rooms, but the not the eating area. I got along well with them.

Car Rental From Kirby: She booked this for me through Budget. 8 days, intermediate, $291
(including all taxes etc). I tried a few places on my own, I could not get close to this price, so went with her suggestion. I am sure I could have pricelined better, but did not want to spend the time.

North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

After 4 nights at Hale Ho'o Maha my wife and I didn't want to leave. Toby and Kirby made us feel like family and had thought of everything. We stayed in the Pineapple room which is awesome--quiet and private with a huge, firm, round bed, a terrace, lots of windows, and a little bit of an ocean view. They made a different hot breakfast every morning for us and had lots of fresh island fruit. They have a hot tub you can use anytime, and tons of beach gear including fins, masks, and snorkels. They also arranged our car rental (getting a much larger discount than I was able to find) and had good tips on restaurants and trails on the North Side. We had such a good time here, we'd highly recommend it and hope we can come back.

Room Tip: Pineapple room is private and has a large private bathroom and nice bed.
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

My wife, daughter and I stayed here 2 nights, over New Year's eve weekend 2011-2012.
The rooms are great, the decorating, furniture, etc. is all very nice. Breakfast was very good, if you make it to Kauai you have to try the Anahola Granola.
Great location for seeing the north shore, close to the Na Pali coast trailhead, and a couple of minutes walk to a nice beach. The beach there is not great for swimming,particularly in the winter when the surf is up on the north shore. Weather is a little cooler and wetter than the south side. We stayed 5 nights at Poipu after leaving here. Highly recommend staying at both the north and south shore if possible. Driving back and forth takes about an hour each way, and the south shore is normally dryer and sunnier.
When we come back in a few years, we're definitely plannning on staying with Kirby and Toby again.
Also, there are no stores and 1 restaurant within about 5 miles back the narrow road to Hanalei, so bring suppllies along or plan accordingly. It's worth it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Salt LAke City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

I am badly allergic to cats and told owners that before booking. We were promised that the cats stayed outside. We came back from a day of hiking and the owner saw us walk in and quickly tried to pick up and hide a cat. In the middle of the night I had an asthma attack (only cats do this to me) and had to sleep in the car. The next morning we asked to be let out of our remaining reservation. The female owner refused unless she could get someone else to rent the room, insisting that they didn't let cats in. Her husband came in and said of course the cats are in, the male cat knows how to open the door. Only then did she relent.

Other disagreeable features were that the female owner kept trying to push a helicopter tour on us that she would book for us (learned later that the tours give commissions) and the husband was a bit of a curmudgeon such we didn't even want to ask him things.

If you don't mind the above, the rooms are quite nice and the breakfasts are good and the location is convenient to the Ne Pali Coast, Hanalei, and beaches.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Ho'o Haha from the minute we arrived. Kirby and Toby are masters at making their guests feel right at home. The rooms are delightful, spotlessly clean and very comfortable. The main area is lovely and they even provide all the fun beach items a traveler would want. Breakfast is a real treat and was literally the best breakfasts I've had anywhere. Also this part of Kauai was heavenly, I did not want to leave and cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: Some rooms have better views than others.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

Stayed there over Christmas, incredibly beautiful spot, secluded, almost two miles from the literal - physical end of the road, and it was totally relaxing. House is all new, up in the air, really comfortable, wish I had a house like this, the bathroom was amazing, Pineapple room was so fresh and breezy, you can see the water from there, hear the surf. Beautiful Christmas tree, Toby & Kirby were very cool, friendly, they know everything, seen and did it all and it was fun to be with them when they were around. Great to be able to wake up and have an early breakfast, different every day, all good stuff. We used the fantastic kitchen, the pantry, the gas grill, the snorkel stuff and used the hot tub and outside shower one day when it was a little rainy and cool after being in the water. Met some nice people there. You gotta have a car, let Kirby arrange it ahead of time, it was nice to drive to Hanalei, Tahiti Nui restaurant, and L&L Barbecue, we have one here in our 'hood in SF, but we loved being away from it all at the house. Would love to get back there, so much to do on Kauai, to see and learn, the place is kinda like a time capsule in a way. Everything is so beautiful and tropical feeling out there on the North Shore, it just sweeps you away. We loved the house, the 'neighborhood', the parrot, cats, geckos, toads, even the roosters. Go and stay there.

Room Tip: Pineapple room had a corner, cross ventilation, sunny, breezy, we could see the water.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hale Ho'o Maha Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!