This was the first of four places we stayed during our 2 weeks in Hawaii, and was one of our favorites. We were in unit D4, in the back of the courtyard but still directly facing the beach. It was updated and beautiful inside. We were there at the end of October when the crowds had thinned. I loved the 2nd floor views and privacy. Units A and F directly line the beach, and possibly I and J and G do too, at an angle. Units B and C get full morning sun on their lanais and also are closest to the parking lot. Units L and M have basically no ocean view.
Also Unit L is the current home of the resident manager. Our final evening, s/he chose to leave two small dogs in the unit and disappeared for several hours, during which time they barked constantly and loudly. Someone finally got the phone number and tracked him/her down, but it really wrecked the peaceful evening we'd envisioned. The soundproofing is minimal there - wooden louvre shutters between you and the outside world.
I thought we'd take advantage of the free shuttle but we ended up driving and having no problems parking as we'd feared. We walked to Tunnels Beach and beyond the first day - a bit of a slog because the sand's really soft and slow to make progress on, but beautiful. The first days, the waves were far too big to even venture into the water and the beaches were basically closed, but towards the end of our stay, we did get to snorkel. There's a good spot near the resort that's not really marked: walk left (west) along the shore, past the black rocks (check out all the crabs hanging out there!), around the little point, and just before the beach that has limestone "shelves" at the shorebreak. Great spot and only about 10 minutes away (15 if you watch the crabs).
The Mediterranean Grill is a great restaurant on site and we ate there 4 meals in a row. That was a huge plus. They've got a luau on Tuesdays that was low-key and lovely.
I'm so glad we decided to stay on the north side rather than in Lihue, which is pretty crowded these days.
- Also Known As:
- Hanalei Colony Hotel Hanalei
- Hanalei Colony Hotel
- Hanalei Colony Resort Kauai
- Hanalei Colony Resort Kauai/Haena, HI
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kauai's only north shore beachfront resort is nestled on a gentle curve of white sand beach. These spacious 2-bedroom, 2-bath condominiums with complete kitchens are magically serene and bounded by Kauai's untamed beauty. Gourmet restaurant, day spa, pool, hot tub and coffee shop are all located on the beautifully menicured grounds. Located at the gateway to the famous Na Pali coast, Hanalei Colony Resort is totally unspoiled, unplugged and unforgetable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Tingo, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Otel and Venere so you can book your Hanalei Colony Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.