I am sitting here right now at the Hanalei Colony Resort, drinking coffee and looking out at the bery blue ocean and wild mixed clouds and sun and can't think of anywhere else I would rather have stayed! No TVs-No Landlines was exactly what my boyfriend and needed- a real break from our regular life. Remote location, relaxed, real down-to-earth resort with simple condos and everything we've needed the past six days
We found HCR to be everything that was advertised and, frankly, have been chuckling at some of the complaints on this review thread.
Ants? Yes...one or two...but the is the TROPICS and bugs are Par for the course. Just remember to not leave ANY food out, unsealed, ever in this kind of climate. And clean up after yourselves!
Also, do not leave out any sweet lotions or skin products. Cap 'em up and put them away, and you will be fine!
Cat? Yes...there is a big, orange house cat that belongs to one of the full-time condo residents. Talk to the kitty, he'll want you to pet him. Ignore the kitty, he'll ignore you. Simple as that.
Worst weather on the island? Kauai's North Shore is FAMED for its mix of sun and wind and rain. We chose the North Shore deliberately because of it and we have been loving the wild mix! The temperatures have been also perfect for us: no hotter than 78 during the day and no lower than 67 at night, meaning you can sleep comfortably. If hot sun is what you want, stay on the south shore.
Unfriendly staff? EVERYONE has been WONDERFUL to us! Stephanie in the front office who gave us a thorough tour of the complex and tips for places to snorkel and we like the unobtrusive housekeeping service that only comes every three days (Which the resort tells you very clearly on their website, btw!) Don't like being bothered all the time by housekeeping and find it a delight to not have to put a "Do Not Disturb" sign out all the time, like we have to do on other vacations.
Day spa booked up? We have been able to schedule everything we want, from a massage for me the first day to Lomi-Lomi (Hawaiian Style Massage) later today! Can't wait!
We have not eaten at the restaurant as we have been mostly cooking all our own food (this is a condo rental, after all, so we can!) and have been reserving our eating out budget for when we are out and about on the island.
Food stuffs: Foodland Market in Princeville has everything you could possibly want including LOCAL oranges, papaya, mango, pineapples, bananas...we have been having a love affair with all the fresh fruit. Also, the Saturday Farmers' Market at Hanalei Town was bursting with good stuff!
All in all, as two introverts who really needed a serious break from our busy lives back home, this place has been IDEAL for us and we hope it will be for those of you who like peace and quiet as well!
Mahalo and Aloha,
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kauai's only north shore beachfront resort is nestled on a gentle curve of white sand beach. These spacious 2-bedroom, 2-bath condominiums with complete kitchens are magically serene and bounded by Kauai's untamed beauty. Gourmet restaurant, day spa, pool, hot tub and coffee shop are all located on the beautifully menicured grounds. Located at the gateway to the famous Na Pali coast, Hanalei Colony Resort is totally unspoiled, unplugged and unforgetable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Tingo, Travelocity, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL and Otel so you can book your Hanalei Colony Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hanalei Colony Hotel Hanalei
- Hanalei Colony Resort Kauai/Haena, HI