“Yes, Yes, Very Recommended” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Eleele
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Get to the Fun Faster! The memories will last a lifetime... Our four boats, Leila, Holo Holo, and Adventurer II & III, get you to the action quicker than anybody else, so you have more time to snorkel, sightsee, relax and enjoy the pristine waters and spectacular cliffs of the Napali Coast & Niihau. We are the only Kauai boat tours company that offers daily trips to the "forbidden island" of Niihau.
Woodinville
“Yes, Yes, Very Recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

My wife and I took the 7 hour Niihau Super Tour. Although the check-in time was 6:00AM, they didn't leave until about 6:30, so the fervent rush to get there exactly at 6:00 to checkin wasn't really necessary. (We still did stop at the MacDonald's at the turn into Port Allen, not being sure what the Continental breakfast would be) This is a barefoot tour, so they stored the shoes on a cart before boarding. The catamaran is very clean and roomy. The staff was absolutely friendly and professional. We actually met the mom of one of the staff, Ryan. (Hi Cindy from Jerry and Kathy). He obviously got his friendliness from his adoring mom.
Even though I only occasionally get seasick and my wife not too often, we took the seasick pills the night before, and in the morning just as insurance for a good time. (It was my birthday trip...I won't say how high)
The captain got us up close and even inside 3 of the caves. He has lots of stories and pointed out the best places for picture taking and when to put the camera away and hold on to your hats!. I think the "keyhole" formation viewed from within the cave was on the island next to Niihau. He also let the willing, get 'blessed' (showered) from a waterfall that flowed over the entrance to the cave....that was awesome. The snorkeling area was at the island next to Niihau. They tied up about 100 feet from the rock shore. Ryan dived down to get the fore and aft mooring lines that are attached to the bottom....saves having to drop anchor.
Most everyone used 'noodles' supplied by the ship, and were recommended by the crew. The actual conditions were pretty tame. The snorkeling was good with, of course, a lot of tropical fish. A monk seal greeted us, but took off after a few minutes.
Now the good part that made this the #1 choice for fun on this trip, even over the Treetop Zipline. They served a banquet-style lunch where everything was good quality, fresh and appetizing. The ample beer and wine could also have made the quality seem that much better. The staff were always checking to see if you had what you wanted, and were also cleaning and bussing the tables....you were made to feel very special......well maybe not 'that' feeling, as those words have another meaning on that ship! (Only one person felt special on the rock and roll trip back). I liked the fact that the boat had so much power..I think I heard that they have twin 425 HP diesels.
All in all, and after talking to others that got skunked for entering the rock caves, even with the Zodiaks, there is a reason why this Holo Holo trip has earned their great reputation!!!!!!!!!

Chicago suburbs, Illinois
4 attraction reviews
“Definitely worth it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

We took the 7 hour trip a couple weeks ago and it was a highlight of our Kauai honeymoon. I forgot the captain's name, but he was friendly and informative (narrating the history of some of the spots we passed) and the crew of Ian and Ryan were excellent too.
They took us out of Port Allen up the incredible Napali coast and we were fortunate to have a pretty calm day. (Why I bothered to take a bunch of pictures that I knew wouldn't do it justice, I don't know!) Saw a few different species of dolphins, monk seals, sea turtles, boobies on this trip, which included a stop at Lehua, the little island/rock just off Niihau. Snorkeling there was pretty nice - a great spot, although with 40+ people in the water you're spending as much time looking around for others not to run into you as you do looking at fish. On the other hand, safety is important so they don't want people to spread out too far.
After that, a really nice lunch and wine/beer is included. The crew moves around, making sure everyone is OK (& checking if anyone's feeling seasick), talking to you, bringing you water if you need it or taking your plate...helpful all-around.

I found Holo Holo to be a great operation and a lot of fun. If lucky enough to go back to Kauai, we'd sign up for another trip or two with these guys.

Phoenix, Arizona
22 attraction reviews
“top tour in hawaii”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

We took the 3.5 hour Napali sightsee dinner cruise in April 2008. I booked mine through thte Pearl Harbor ticket and tours office. They offer discount tour prices for military.

It had rained the night before and luckily that afternoon/ evening the weather had cleared up and the seas were calm. The boat was pretty full, so you did have to be careful walking around other people, however the view of the napali coast was more than worth it. We also saw dolphins swimming around the boat right at sunset. Great champagne toast at sunset and good food. I dont recommend this tour for people bringing children younger than teenagers. Its more geared for adults.

Highlight of the tour - they sailed into a sea cave and those of us who were sitting on the front of the boat got soaked by the cool napali waterfall! I wasnt dressed appropriately for this but I didnt care! it was so fun!

No one on our trip appeared to be motion-sick, but if you are worried about that, take ginger pills prior to boarding. It also helps to stay outside the boat. Sitting inside makes it more likely for you to get motionsickness.

Vancouver
5 attraction reviews
“Na Pali Coast Tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

There are many operators who do this same tour and the reason we chose Holo Holo was their coupon in the Entertainment Book. It saved us about $25 per person.

Our group of four sat in the back on the way there and we got soaked. If that's what you like, they you know where to sit and if that's not what you like, then same thing. I ended up feeling a little seasick, which was likely due to the size of swells we had that day, but I went inside the boat where the ride was less bumpy and soon felt better.

The description of the tour is 'heavy pupus' or appetizers, but it could say dinner. There was tons of food which was fresh and presented nicely.

We got some great pictures, would definitely recommend these guys- especially if you have the coupon!

Cleveland, OH
7 attraction reviews
“Highlight of our Kauai Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

We just returned from a great week in Kauai, and although we had a variety of amazing experiences, we and our kids agree that the Na Pali sunset cruise was the highlight of the week. I did quite a bit of comparison shopping between companies before choosing Holo Holo, and although some say to use one of the north shore companies in order to see the most Na Pali possible, we were thrilled with Holo Holo. The catamaran is sleek, fast, and comfortable, and although we saw "only" 2/3 of the Na Pali coast, the scenery was beautiful the entire trip (well, at least after pulling out of the rather industrialized harbor). The company modestly states that :"heavy appetizers" are served, but this is actually a light dinner, and very good. We would especially like to give propers to the boat's crew, who were superb. Captain Ian is an erudite guy who found just the right balance between narration and silence, and Mark and Pat were wonderful. So--if you "have" to see 100% of Na Pali then yeah, I guess pay substantially more for one of the north shore boats, but I'm hard pressed to see how the total experience could be significantly better than the one we had with Holo Holo.