“Awesome and reasonably priced!” 5 of 5 stars

(808) 631-4134
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Anahola
“Awesome and reasonably priced!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Food here was fantastic! Was recommended to us by a local, and they were on point. Prices were great in comparison to high end restaurants, and the quality was equal if not better!

Northern California
“Saimin Sanctuary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

First full day on Kauai and had to do the Saimin soup lunch- why else travel to the Garden Isle? The best on the island, in my opinion, is at a roadside stand called “Anahola Café and Saimin Stand”
I had the extra-large Saimin and my wife opted for the stir fry Saimin – I know, Saimin is a soup so how can you have a stir fried soup – what the tourists don’t know won’t hurt them.
The couple that ordered before us was from Bezerkley and the man also had the extra-large Saimin soup. He said this is his favorite Saimin place too.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
honolulu
“Unassuming delicious food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

My friends and I were in Anahola on Kaua'i and decided to try this little roadside restaurant. You would never expect to have good local food that is tasty and affordable literally on the side of the highway. My ohana and friends who live in the area (like walking distance) had never even tried this diner. It looks like a house on the side of the road enclosed in a chainlink fence. There are signs on the roadside advertising leis, hull huli chicken and saimin but you would probably just drive by as it is very low key and doesn't look like much. I inquired with my family and they said they had never tried it. 4 of us went there for dinner. The dining area is actually in back of the building you see on the highway. There are picnic type tables under a tarp tent where you seat yourself and then you can walk up to the window and place your order. The menu is pretty varied but all with local favorites like saimin, oxtail soup, kalua pig and cabbage, teriyaki burger with fries, tripe stew, beef stew and other favorites. We ordered 3 extra large saimin specials and 1 regular sized saimin as well as a bowl of oxtail soup. Our food was brought to our table and we were all surprised. The bowls were large and filled with noodles, kamaboko, green onion, charsiu and boiled egg. The broth was very tasty and not salty like that other famous saimin restaurant in Lihue that I won't mention, Everyone commented on the taste and how it was just what we wanted as we were all hungry and the evening was a bit chilly. The meal was perfect! In fact we went back for lunch a couple days later. I would definitely be back and will highly recommend this restaurant as it is actually run by a hawaiian family on hawaiian homestead land and it has a certified kitchen that allows residents of anahola hawaiian homestead community to use for non profit use. I can't wait to get back to Kaua'i to have more great saimin.

• Visited April 2014