“My wife and I stayed at the Mahina Kai for 6 nights, Feb 7-13, 2013.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mahina Kai Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Anahola
Mahina Kai Bed and Breakfast
You added Mahina Kai Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
4933 Aliomanu Road, P.O. Box 699, Anahola, Kauai, HI 96703   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Anahola B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Calgary, Canada
“My wife and I stayed at the Mahina Kai for 6 nights, Feb 7-13, 2013.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had the cottage separate from the main building. Despite one tiny leak in the ceiling during one night of torential rain our stay could not have been more enjoyable. Joe Moore and his staff were a delight: great service, breakfast, and help with dining, hiking and beach options.

We would highly recommend!

Brian & Sheila

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
mahinakai, Owner at Mahina Kai Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thanks for the Kind words..and very sorry about the leak...and glad you guys where there so I know about it and got it fixed...and your right the rain here can be amazingly strong sometimes..I look so forward to having you return to Mahina Kai!

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
St. Louis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This place is far from a "resort" and "our ocean" as they claim on their website. In short, it's a dump. The smell of sewer as you walk up the steps, insects of all kinds in the rooms, a flea-bitten dog roaming into everyone's rooms, trash stashed under a camper shell near the house, etc. You get the idea. I've never stayed at a place that was so vastly misrepresented on their website. To make matters worse, there's some young guy hanging around who tries to make it all your fault. They want all your money up-front, and there's a good reason - stay away from this place if at all possible.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
mahinakai, Owner at Mahina Kai Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
I'm sadden when a review really has no merit....The only way to respond to any of his complaints is to say Mini our sweet dog is very welcoming to all guest...We do have Geckos all over Mahina Kai..they are what Hawaiian's consider a good luck charm and live in EVERY building on Kauai...and I had over 6 telephone conversations with this guest and told him that if we did not live up to his expectations when he arrived I would be very happy to refund his money in FULL....one of the conversations was only 2 hrs before he arrived at Mahina Kai...I was on a business trip...and he called asking about directions...I again told him to PLEASE call me if there was anything he needed or wanted and I even gave him my Personal Cell Number....NOT a word to me while he was here ...Upon my arrival home I found out that he is a very closeted Man who he complained that we did not have naked boys laying by the pool each day, that we where not close enough to the beach (only 100 yards or so) and that Geckos where all over the place. He repeatedly verbally abused my very sweet staff...and that even his traveling companions where not even speaking to him when they all left. When after two weeks he called my Cell Phone to complain about My Staff and Mahina Kai I refused to have him verbally abuse and threaten me (with a back review on here) especially, since I knew He had my cell number all the time he was here and I could have refunded his money and he could have went somewhere else.....Because of the TripAdvisor guild lines I'm not allow to disclose any information about this very Sad Man....but I do encourage you to read all the reviews here and else where then decide for yourself it Mahina Kai is right for you. ...And remember at Mahina Kai we only what sweet Guest...this is our home and we treat guest like family...

Below is the e-mail he sent me after I refused to have him abuse me:

Typically, I would send this to outside counsel for handlimg, but because you ripped off my friends and me, I will personally see this to the end. To make certain you are not blindsided, please take note: by the time you are assimilating this, the HI Attormey General and Kaua'i Prosecutor will already be well on their way to considering appropriate charges against you and your henchman for the fraud you have perpetrated. Others you have done this to may have had no ability to seek recovery, but that is definitely not the case here. You were we'll aware of our issues while we were there - the phone records between you and the mouthy guy you left to do your biddimg will show that - but again, despite your representations to the contrary, you did nothing. In short, while you issuing an immediate refund to everyone might have helped, it no longer will. The greater issue now is to make certain that we not only obtain a credit for all that you stole from us, but to keep from happening to others what you did to us. Fraud is a crime, Joe, as you will undoubtedly soon see. And don't bother altering your website, we've already codified it for the authorities.
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

When Joe carried my 50 lbs suitcase, I knew there was going to be no problem on my first trip ever to Kauai. I felt like I was in paradise once I saw the view from my room--the Kai Suite. Upon entering the room, I said to Joe, "This will do!" What I enjoyed most about the room was the shower--an open air window looking down on property and ocean. WOW!. Outside of the fabulous room, it was Joe's attention and suggestions for my daily activities to get the most out of my 4 days on Kauai without tiring me out. He started me out with a guide book, and one day, a back pack so I could hike to the Hanakapa'ai Falls. I left Kauai refreshed and with amazing experiences thanks to him. Joe has guys that help him out, and they all were just a blast to talk to. I would walk into the kitchen saying, "Hey, girls, what's up?" We would sit, chat, and have many laughs. Afterwards, I would return to my suite with my dish of sliced fruit and a few freshly baked muffins. I was traveling alone but never felt alone at Mahina Kai.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Everett, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

I recently visited the Mahina Kai B&B and needed to give my account. The hospitality and attention I received was above par. From the evening I arrived where I was treated as though I was a visiting friend as opposed to a mere stranger (important as I was traveling alone). It started with an upgrade in room accomodations. The crew invited me to dinner and later entertainment in town at a local bar. Even after mother nature tried to change the experience, the crew pulled out all stops to assure my accomodations were maintained. Many, many thanks for this experience Joe, Dean and Nick (you all set the bar really high). I highly recommend the facilities and will return when I am back on the island again!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

My partner and I were looking for some tropical downtime last November, and we found it at the Mahina Kai Bed and Breakfast. Joe's warmth and hospitality made us feel at home the minute we arrived. This was my second visit to the Mahina Kai and my partner's first. We both enjoyed our stay immensely. The property is so unique, from the striking blue ceramic tile roofs to the semi-outdoor (but fully private) showers, we had no problems unwinding and enjoying Kauai. This is a great place to stay if you want to chill in comfort in a low key, relaxed environment with lively conversation around the breakfast table if you want it. We're already planning our next visit!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

We stayed here ten years ago and finally made it back. The blue-tiled Japanese-style villa is showing its age in places, but we still had a near-perfect stay. Joe is a friendly and accommodating host, and the Hibiscus Suite provided a very relaxing escape. We had a firm king-size bed, a separate sitting area with views of the pounding surf in the distance and a private ocean-view patio. The cozy bathroom with private outdoor shower may not be to everyone's liking, but it was to ours.

Breakfast is available at a communal table in the villa's primary courtyard/atrium with fresh tropical fruit, yogurt, boiled eggs, cereal selections, juice, coffee and tea... and fresh muffins, which you might smell baking if you're up at 6:30 or so. Or you may take breakfast to your suite, but we enjoyed meeting the handful of other guests at the table.

Mahina Kai is in a great location, on a quiet seaside road just a short drive above the restaurants and services of Kapa'a--enough of a town that traffic even backs up occasionally. You will need a rental car, and either have GPS or make sure you have clear driving directions, as Mahina Kai could be difficult to find at night. Our days began with a visit to the hot-tub and dip in the pool (which we do hope gets a needed rehab soon). Then we would either head out for the day or hang-out at Mahina Kai to read or sunbathe--there are good beach areas just a short walk down the road.

Joe or Dean provide tourist information and restaurant suggestions... and laundry service, if needed. Kauai is a "slower" island than, say, Oahu or Maui, but it may be our favorite. We are certain it won't be another ten years before we return.

Room Tip: There are only a handful of suites, and I would have no problem with any of them.