“Nice family vacation in Big Island” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Waikoloa Village

You added Hilton Waikoloa Village to your Saves list
Hilton Waikoloa Village
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   69-425 Waikoloa Beach Drive, Waikoloa, Island of Hawaii, HI 96738   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$179 (USD)
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Waikoloa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sammamish, Washington, United States
“Nice family vacation in Big Island”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

We stayed here for a week for spring break with my 14 and 10 year old kids. The resort is about 20 to 30 minutes from Kona airport.

It's a very large resort and takes about 15 minutes to walk from rooms in Ocean tower to the lobby and another 5 minutes to the parking lot. They have a train that takes guests from the hotel buildings to the lobby, they have valet if you don't like to walk to the parking lot. An artificial canal on the property has boat rides as well in the evenings, it runs parallel to the trains.

We stayed in the ocean tower, and was able to see a whale breach a few times in the ocean the first morning we were there. It never showed up after that. There is an adult pool as well as kids pool with slides near this building. There is also a laundry near the pool entrance.

The larger pool, dolphin quest and artificial lake is near the lagoon tower (at the other end of the resort). That pool has a big slide, a hanging bridge, water falls as well as a smaller area with sand that makes it look like a beach. The artificial lake has a kiosk where you can rent kayaks, pedal boat, snorkeling equipment and stand up paddle. Kids loved the stand up paddle. There is an artificial water-fall, some turtles and fishes in the lake. The lake is connected to the ocean, but protected from waves and currents.

The dolphins have a smaller pond, felt they were crammed in there, not a happy scene, we stayed away from that activity. Another low-light was the boat ride, the boat attendant, (an older gentleman said he was from Raleigh NC, and worked there for 20 years) appeared to be a bit grumpy. I noticed that on both days we took the boat ride, he does interact with some guests, but shun some others. [I was going to give this hotel a 5 star rating if not for the boat ride]

Food inside the resort is expensive. There are a few nice restaurants close by in Queens and Kings market. The Mediterranean restaurant at Kings market has excellent food.

We rented an SUV from the airport, this was a good decision as there are a lot of things to do outside the resort. There is a national car rental in the property, make reservations in advance. We rented a 4 wheel drive for a day to drive up to the observatory (our main rental was a two wheel drive).

If you are driving, google maps and Garmin gps may not be very accurate - it misses parts of the saddle road that goes across the island. Add an extra half hour to your plans if you are driving across the island.

Places we visited outside the resort area:
* Mauna Kea Observatory : By the time i called up tour operators, they were all booked up. We rented a 4x4 at the hotel and drove up to the observatory. It has some of the best telescopes on earth, and Mauna Loa is the tallest mountain if measured from the sea floor. There is a visitor center at around 9,000 feet where volunteers set up telescopes for visitors at night. We were able to see Jupiter and it's 4 moons. This was my highlight of the trip. Paved road ends at the visitor center, and it's not advised to take kids above that point as the air gets very thin (40% thinner than at sea level). Left my 10 year old and wife at visitor center and drove up a 4 mile gravel road and another 5 miles of paved road to reach the observatory. There was snow and ice at the submit, the road was clear so no problem driving with a 4x4. The observatory sits above the clouds, so watch out if you end up driving thru the clouds, it can be scary as visibility is about 1 to 2 feets and you have to drive very slowly.

* Volcanoes national park - stayed there for a day. Took saddle road, which goes thru the middle of the island. It takes about 2:30 hours to the national park from the hotel. It was very foggy for a few miles on that road at high elevation, and it is not advised to drive on that road after dark. We were able to see the 'glow' from the crater at night. The best spot to view the glow at night is at Jaggar Museum on Rim road. The crater lodge is over-rated, one can stay at a bed and breakfast in the Volcano village, which is just outside the national park and drive over to the park at night to see the crater glow. We hiked the Kīlauea Iki Trail, which takes you to a lava flow. We turned back after reaching the lava floor, as it was a hot day and we were not fully prepared for the hike thru the open area. Visited Thurston lava tube, which is near the IKi Trail. We took a helicopter tour with Blue Hawaiian, lava from the crater was visible from the sky.

* Black Sand Beach, Green Sand Beach - both on the way back from Volcanoes National park to the hotel. It's a 3 hour drive and takes you thru the western cost line. Green Sand Beach is not accessible by 2 wheel drive. It's a 2.5 mile hike each way. There are locals on 4 wheel drive who are more than happy to drive you there and back for a fee.

* Umauma Zip Line & Botanical Gardens : These attractions are near to each other. We drove over the north shore to get here. The drive is beautiful, we also stopped by Waipio valley on our way. Kids loved the Zip lines.

Room Tip: Rooms in the ocean tower is a bit noisy, lagoon tower is a better option if you use the pool and lag...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Debi B, General Manager at Hilton Waikoloa Village, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Thank you for the great review of our resort and our island destination. There is definitely a lot to see and do here on the island and we appreciate that you took the time to detail it. We also encourage future guests to take a look at our website for more island information. We will take all of your comments into consideration and hope to be able to welcome you back for a true 5-star experience in the future.

Kind regards,
Debi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,076)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Such a great resort! It is absolutely massive, but provides train services to get to the many rooms, facilities, restaurants, shops and pools. They arrange external charters and activities, and have dolphins, waterslides, a little church, and just about everything really! Because it's so big, don't underestimate the time it will take to get to the exit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We are so glad that you enjoyed your visit to our resort! We work hard to maintain exotic landscaping, water features, art and all the items you mention, and have plans to improve service and products even more in the future! Mahalo for your review. We hope to welcome you back again one day!

Kind regards,
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

This hotel was not what was expected when we first arrived. First of all, if you do decide to stay here ask for a room in the Lagoon Tower. The rooms at the Palace Tower and Ocean Tower are extremely dated. I was told that the Lagoon Tower had been renovated. When we arrived, we were taken to our room at the Palace Tower. We were surprised by how dated the room looked so we asked for another room in another tower. The room just looked dirty even though it was cleaned. We were then taken to the Ocean Tower. Not that much better but we were tired at this point and could not get a room in the Lagoon Tower. When we got to our room at the Ocean Tower, there was mildew on the tub and shower head. My son found used baby food packets underneath the bed. We called immediately to have the room cleaned. They took awhile to clean it.

As others have said this is a huge property. There is not really a beach just swimming pools at Ocean and Lagoon Tower. Be warned the pools are COLD. I mean really cold. My son did not even want to stay in the pool for more than an hour.

The service was slow and unfriendly at times.
Also BE WARNED if you stay in the Ocean Tower, there is Bird Noise at night.
We will not be coming back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Get a room in the Lagoon Tower. I have never seen the rooms there but heard it was recently renovat...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us at our hotel. I understand that you were not satisfied with the cleanliness of your bathroom or the items found underneath your bed. I am deeply disappointed by that and am glad we found you a nicer room to stay in. I sincerely apologize for your experience as the comfort of our guests is one of our highest priorities. We have reviewed your comments about the pool temperature and are taking them under consideration. Thank you again; I appreciate your honest feedback.

Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

THIS PLACE IS FOR THE BIRDS!

Let me preface my review by saying that my family (hubby, me, and 2 kids) stayed at the HWV as part of a corporate event. The company covered the cost of the room and basic meal costs for my husband and me during the days of the event. We arrived early so we did pay for many things on our own.

We spent 6 exhausting and expensive days at the Hilton Waikoloa Village. Let me fill you in on some of the disappointments we experienced:

-THE BIRDS! Our room was on the 5th floor of the “Ocean Tower” (no ocean view) which was located directly across from the tops of the trees that grow in the courtyard of the tower. In the tops of these trees live birds. Lots of noisy squawking birds. The night we arrived it was super windy and I just assumed that the birds were upset that their homes were swaying so violently because every time a huge gust of wind would come up the birds would begin their screeching and squawking. It went on like this for most of the night with a brief period of quiet and then they started up again at about 4:45 am. I was so tired and angry the next morning and we called down to see if we could get another room, but nothing was available. We had to stick it out in that room for the next 4 nights, which were no different, and get ear plugs in order to keep our sanity. My 8 year old lost his ear plugs EVERY NIGHT and I would give him mine, so I got to listen to the bird racket all night long. I think that it would be a nice touch for the management to provide a complimentary slingshot with some large rocks in order for guests to feel like there is some solution to this problem. I absolutely LOVE animals but I think something needs to be done to relocate these creatures to somewhere where hundreds of people aren’t trying to sleep. When we asked the concierge for earplugs, they didn’t ask why - they obviously didn't care.

Our room- It was small and dirty to begin with. It had 2 double beds. What? I can’t remember ever staying in a hotel that didn’t have at least 2 queens. Maybe I’m spoiled because I normally sleep in a king at home but I think that child sized beds are unreasonable, particularly in a resort. We did manage to get a rollaway bed for one of the kids, but I still got to “enjoy” snuggling with my snoring husband all night in our small bed, which I really wasn’t in the mood for after listening to hours of bird screeching. The décor in our room was old and tired. The wallpaper was peeling and the lampshades looked original to the construction of the resort. There was a thick layer of dust everywhere, including all around the base of the carpet. The sofa was so dirty that I wouldn’t let my kids sit on it. The safe didn’t work. The faucet handles kept falling off in my hand. There was mold in the shower. The water tasted like it was pumped directly from the shower or toilet. There was no way I was going to make coffee in that room and was forced to purchase coffee from the coffee shop every morning at $6+ a cup. The sheets and towels were dingy and didn’t look or smell clean. I could go on and on…

-The Grounds – I will say that the grounds were nice and clean and well manicured and had lots of interesting (quiet) birds and even the occasional mongoose. I heard a few cat-haters complaining about the feral cats that roam the grounds. I have never been to a tropical resort that did NOT have cats. Cats = No rats. They are fed and cared for and some of them are friendly. Someone should find a way to get the cats up to the tree tops and introduce them to the birds.

-Food/Beverages. You might want to consider selling a kidney before coming if you plan on eating here. As I said, we were part of a corporate event for our visit and some of our food expenses were covered by the company. If we wanted a “beer” you could choose from Bud of Michelob or a mixed drink with the watered down liquor they have. On a few occasions we opted to pay an additional amount to upgrade to a “premium brand” liquor….for $8 a drink. I cannot imagine how much they would cost if we were paying for the entire amount! The on-site food is OK. When you’re in Hawaii it’s hard to resist the temptation to go to a Luau, right? Resist you must !! We got in mid-day and I saw the little brochure and thought it looked like fun so my dear, sweet husband booked a reservation for our family that night. As I mentioned, it was terribly windy and the whole experience was a nightmare. It was cold and everything was blowing everywhere. People’s food was blowing off their plates as they served themselves in the buffet line and drinks were tipping over at the table. I had to eat with one hand on my cup the entire time. My kids were tired and cranky and cold and I decided that we should just leave early and get to bed. My husband was resistant to this idea but ultimately gave in. It wasn’t until later that I understood why he wanted to stay. The Luau for 4 cost (you might want to sit down) - $458. I’m not kidding. Had I known that, I would have stayed to the very end and froze my butt off and gotten every penny out of the experience. I love my husband but sometimes its Ok to tell me no. Really! Let’s see…breakfast buffet $95…taco lunch for 4 $120. Seriously? There were several times we wanted to eat onsite that we couldn’t even get a seat at the restaurants unless we stood right next to a table and stared at the people that were currently using it like vultures waiting for them to die. We ended up eating at the little Italian restaurant with a pizza and salad buffet just to get some food. We had a decent meal at Kamuela Provision Company but had to wait for 45 mins for a table despite having a reservation. Do yourself a favor – dine off site. We ate at Tommy Bahama’s and Merriman’s and had really great meals and excellent service. Well worth the drive!

On to the pools! There are several small pools with a few chairs and slides and one large one with a really fun slide. If you plan to swim, plan to claim your chair Hunger Games style . If you’re there when the pools open and make a mad dash to the cornucopia ( I mean the towel desk) and have your entire family lay on your chairs to claim them you might get a seat or two. Otherwise, you’re going to be standing at the pool and watching your kids swim while jealously eyeing the chairs that are just sitting there with towels on them, but no one apparently using them. There’s no pool service so if you want a drink or some food be prepared to nominate someone from your family to go get it. DO NOT ABANDON YOUR CHAIR!!!! We got up to get a quick lunch one day (because I figured it might be irresponsible to leave my kids alone in the pool) and I came back to find some jerk had taken my towels – WITH my belongings (sunscreen, googles etc) and balled them up and thrown them off to the side and taken my chairs. The pools are really cold by the way. I only ever got in up to my waist. I did enjoy sitting at the bottom of the slide and watching the folks that had not been in the water yet enter the pool and gasp and scream because it was cold. I know, I’m evil. I’m ok with it.

The Tram - The tram takes FOREVER!!!!!! Please, if you have somewhere you need to be, plan on walking and wear comfortable shoes. This is not the time to break in those cute new shoes you got for your vacation. It’s a good long walk from one end of the resort to the other (like 20 minutes) but think of it this way – you’re saving yourself from getting robbed to use their gym. :)

The Beach - We had a great time at the beach! What beach, you ask? Not the beach at the HWV!!!! They have a little lagoon area that is crawling with people that doesn’t even face the ocean. No thanks! We loaded up the kids and took a 15 minute drive or so to Hapuna Beach and had a great time. Warm water, lots of space. No chair service but we didn’t have any at the pool either so didn’t feel like we were missing anything. Speaking of chairs, there is a guy that will rent you a beach chair on the side of the road before you get to the beach.

Those are my major complaints about the Hilton Waikoloa Village. I left feeling exhausted and disappointed. We ran up a bill of over $2000 (which did include a few nights at the kids club) and that was with the company paying for the basics. I assure you that we didn’t go crazy at the bar or restaurants. I would suggest that you simply do not stay there. If you must, like we had to, plan ahead and you may end up having a better time than we did. The island itself is amazing and beautiful so rent a car if you can (and plan on paying the $17 daily parking fee) and get out and see it. I want to add that we have stayed at plenty of fabulous and not-so-fabulous hotels and resorts. I have NO problem paying more for quality and service, but we didn’t get either of those things, or even the basics like cleanliness and quiet. This HWV is huge but it lacks the ability to accommodate all of the guests that it can squeeze into it’s many rooms. That is just unacceptable to me and I will NEVER come back.

Room Tip: I didn't hear complaints about the birds from anyone staying in the other towers. Just avoid the...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
First of all, thank you for your review of your family vacation at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests. I understand that the birds were an issue during your stay and we regret that the noise was disruptive to you and didn’t allow you to get the kind of sleep you needed. I am disappointed about the cleanliness of your guest room and have discussed this with our housekeeping team. I understand that you were unhappy with some of the charges and regret that you were not made aware of them before you planned your getaway with us. I apologize that you're comfort was interrupted and for the inconvenience you encountered while you were here. I do hope the next time you return to the area you will reconsider and choose to stay with us again.

carmel, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Terrible service, dirty rooms with roaches and AC that did not work. Staff that was understaffed and could care less. Seems like everyone was going through the motions. If you have a choice, stay somewhere else...unless you like no AC, roaches, terrible service, dirty common areas and transportation that does not work!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dave,

I want to apologize for the unfortunate experience that you had at our hotel. The health and safety of our guests is of the utmost importance and is always a focal point of our operation. We are sorry about the service you encountered and we work closely with a professional pest control company to address and rectify any pest situation that might occur. We have reviewed your comments about the A/C in your room with our maintenance staff and promise the situation has been addressed.

WA state
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Let me start this off by saying, WOW! During our 2 week Hawaii vacation, we spent about 4 of those days just at the lagoon, and we weren't even 'staying' at this hotel. Only after LOVING the amenities did we book 1 night for just my husband and me. (yes, it cost a pretty penny to do so.)
This hotel is beyond gorgeous, but let me reiterate that it is BEYOND HUGE too! There is an actual tram/shuttle that will take you to each separate towers/sections of the hotel. And yes, it is THAT long of a walk from the opposite side.
We were booked in the 'ocean' tower that was a ocean/pool view. Our view was impeccable, the sounds were beautiful (children laughing, waves lapping, fountains bubbling) and the bed...oh man...heavenly...plush, nice-expensive sheets, fluffy down comforter and THE most a.may.zing pillows... I will however, say this. This tower is outdated, and does need some TLC, especially for the $300 we paid for the ONE night. The paper is peeling off the wall, the moldings are warped, mold in the tub, and old-ish furniture. Also, at 5 AM, I was awakened to a cacophony of BIRDS. This tower is circular in shape, all open air with MANY palms and flora...perfect for birds, right? HA. This was not just the normal chirp chirp of happy birds, but like, fighting to the death, squack-fest I have never EVER experienced before. Quite the alarm clock. This went on for 45 minutes...beware!
We only enjoyed the one pool area, located by the dolphin area, and it was cold. Pretty sure it wasn't heated. During our stay, it was pretty windy, so we didn't really enjoy the cold water much. Just our preference. The lagoon was actually warmer than this pool! There are many many other pools though, located all over, one being adult only in the ocean tower.
There's a dolphin encounter that is HORRIBLY overpriced, but fun to watch all the dolphins interact and really entertaining to watch the trainers with them. Also 2 sharks in a separate area.
There is NO beach, per say, but the lagoon will suffice. It IS the ocean with fake sand, and secluded in the middle of the hotel's property, with eels, turtles, fish galore and multiple water activities (kayaks, water bikes, paddle boats) all for rent.
We ate at the Chinese restaurant and it was actually really good. Also lunched at the dolphin encounter area, and it was ok. More of the ambiance than anything made that worth it.
I do think we will stay here again, if we can get a deal...possibly sign up for a Hilton card and get a deal...but honestly this hotel is worth E.V.E.R.Y penny.
I know we didn't even experience half of what this hotel has to offer, but what we did (with the exception of the room quality), we were VERY pleased.
ENJOY!

Room Tip: The OCEAN tower is un-updated, FYI.
Los Gatos, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

This is a huge property, you will be just a number, it has no beach, not much of a Hawaii feel to the place, but it has nice pools... The nearest beach, A-bay is beautiful but not a great swimming beach. It is close to shopping if that is your thing, the King Shops are within walking distance. The great beaches in the area Hapuna and Mauna Kea Beach are a good drive north of the resort. The Hapuna Beach Hotel and the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel are both on the beach if that is why you have come to Hawaii.

Be prepared to drive long distances on the Big Island as the sights are spread out, and you risk having issues with VOG, even up in Wiakoloa. If this is your first trip to Hawaii then Kauai or Maui are better choices. BUT the Hilton Waikoloa Village has a great Kama'aina discount if you already live in Hawaii...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Waikoloa Village? Share your experiences!