“Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Waikoloa Village

You added Hilton Waikoloa Village to your Saves list
Hilton Waikoloa Village
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   69-425 Waikoloa Beach Drive, Waikoloa, Island of Hawaii, HI 96738   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$179 (USD)
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Waikoloa
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Aloha!! Our stay was September 3-10.We are Hilton Diamond members. I can't recommend this resort enough! We brought our 3 year old son and 14 month old daughter..this place is perfect for families! We stayed in the Lagoon tower on the 6 th floor overlooking the dolphins, lagoon and ocean..the views are amazing, the dolphins are so well taken care of and are so much fun to watch! The lagoon is wonderful and so is the big pool..part with a sandy bottom for the little ones! Many complainers mentioned all the walking, but we loved it..the grounds are immaculate and the art collection very interesting as you stroll around..beautiful fragrant flowering trees..grab a plumeria blossom from the ground, put it in your hair and enjoy the walk! Restaurants are more expensive than at home, but not outrageous, unless you live off the dollar menu at home.Breakfast buffet was great!Food is good..atmosphere perfect! Service is wonderful.. everyone we encountered greeted us with a smile and went out of their way to help..tip your maid a few bucks and she will leave you flowers on your pillow and take special care of you! Rooms in our tower were clean, and very well appointed. If you have littles bring a stroller bc little legs can get worn out fast! Mahalo to Hilton Waikoloa Village for a great Hawaiian vacation!

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,081)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We are a couple with no kids, so we intentionally picked a quieter time (i.e. not school holiday). We stayed end of August through early September for a week. The resort was pretty quiet overall except for Labor Day weekend. Some locals told us that the resort has good rates for the locals during off season (which apparently it is right now) and also day passes so quite a number of families would come and use the pool/lagoon/water slides, etc. With that in mind, it still didn't feel too crowded during Labor Day weekend.

As mentioned by many reviewers before, this resort is huge. It takes at least 15 minutes to go from the lobby to the room (we had a room towards the east side of Ocean Tower). There is a train which runs every 15-20 minutes it seems and a boat in the afternoon. We mostly walked because the resort is just so beautiful and enjoyable to walk around in. We saw turtles sunbathing along the coast and could get pretty close to take pictures. In the lagoon we swam with turtles every day. Depending on the visibility, the snorkeling can be quite good. But the lagoon was a relatively safe place for kids to try a number of water activities as the water was very calm and pretty shallow, especially during low tide. As the water was so calm it was also a great place to try out stand up paddle boarding. Be aware that they had two kinds of boards at the resort. If you came late, you would get the inflatable kind which was wobbly and difficult to balance on.

Our room was on the 7th floor in the Ocean Tower with an ocean view. We could hear the train but it wasn't really that big of a deal. The bird noises though were a different story - the birds hid in the trees in the central courtyard, and were very loud at dusk and dawn. I am not complaining at all as it was just nature, but something to be aware of for light sleepers. The room was quite big and comfortable. There was a fridge in the room but no microwave. There was also a coffee machine in the room but the coffee was pretty flavorless compared to what they sold at the coffee shop downstairs. The bed was comfortable. Water pressure was good and temperature control worked well.

The restaurants were quite expensive. We ate around the island for the most part, or got stuff from the ABC store in Queen's shopping center (5 minute drive in Waikoloa) - they had fresh fruit, sandwiches, poke by the pound, bento boxes, sushi and musubi - all good for a quick meal. We ate at KPC - good view. Food was good but for that price I expected spectacular food which it was not. The pizza place was surprisingly good. The pizza was probably one of the best I have ever had but it was quite pricy - 2 beers, an appetizer, a personal size pizza and 1 pasta came to about 100 bucks including tip. We also had salads at the Boat Landing Cantina (the slogan: "where aloha meets hola") which were very good. Breakfast - definitely expensive for a good buffet. $30 per person but they had a deal where if arrived before 7am, you get 10 dollars off - I am not sure if the deal is still available. There was both American style and Asian style food.

I also used the spa and got a lomi lomi massage. I think my therapist's name was Maurine but I can't be sure. It was heavenly. I stayed to use the sauna, steam room and jacuzzi (hotel guests pay $20 per day to use this unless you book a service) which was quite relaxing. I don't think it was worth $20 though since there was so much outside of the spa that was quite relaxing as well.

Overall I think this resort is great for couples when off season, and good for family reunions as there was stuff to do for all ages (and safe for kids).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Corning, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We came here for three nights after four at the Hilton. Hawaiian Village in Waikiki. This resort is HUGE. My room view is beautiful. Park your own car for $17/day or get valet for $22. We opt for valet... Hey it's vacation! They take good care of you. Not a huge amount of restaurant choices so you have to plan a bit. Make use of the tram and/or boats to get where you are going (the tram only runs 6a- midnight, and the boats are a little more limited).

• Stayed September 2013
Los Angeles, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Room smelled like mold, some other guest down the hall kept a fish cooler in their room and you could smell the rotting fish. The food is decent at the restaurants but don't order room service unless you want a salad that smells like raw tuna. People steal the DVD's and place bootleg copies in the DVD rental unit that don't play. The SPA was the worst.. i needed a doctor when I got back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Tonasket, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We went on our honeymoon here and could not have asked for a better place to stay. The sunsets are gorgeous and having the lagoon to swim in is a lot of fun. We swam with sea turtles every day in the lagoon. It is a rather big resort, but that just means more space to explore. The tram runs around the resort but it is usually quicker to just walk. Everything is expensive but that is expected in Hawaii at the tourist spots. We will definitely be going back some day.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

This property is very good if you just want to relax and don't need to follow a strict schedule. The resort is quite large and getting around between some of the farther locations can be time consuming at times. Transportation is available within the resort by means of passenger boats on a waterway which runs through the resort and a monorail-type tram which runs from one end of the resort to the other. Intervals between trams and boats can be quite lengthy at times with the boats not operating at all during extended periods. Plan on 15 minutes from your room to the lobby area just to be sure you don't run late for any appointments. The vehicle valet service is relatively quick and we never had to wait more than two or three minutes for our car, probably due in part to the season we stayed, late August. The resort was not very full, in fact it seemed almost deserted at times during our stay. This was actually good since dining and other reservations were not essential and there were no long lines or crowds. It was definitely a relaxing atmosphere in that regard. I recommend this resort if you avoid the peak season and are mindful of the resort's transportation quirks.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Fresno, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 8 nights in August. I was there for a work conference. After having a long day of travel check in went pretty well for large resort. We took the monorail out to The Ocean Tower. Just for reference it is a half a mile walk from the front desk to the ocean tower where we stayed. The room was nice, a little older, it could use an upgrade. But still the room was very large for a standard room and very nice. We were unsatisfied with a few things and made a call to the front desk. Mainly the planter next to the balcony was bare and it looked like it had exposed wires in it. Also our water glasses where completely filthy. So I called the front desk and asked to be moved and nothing could be done.
We went on with our evening and called it a night just exhausted from a long day. The next morning we wake up and upon a little further inspection find stains on the bed sheets. At this point we were just fed up it all. I took the half mile walk to the front desk and explained what had happened. There was a nice girl at the front desk that was happy to move our room just a few doors down.
So we packed up our stuff and headed to the new room. After unpacking we headed to the pool for the day. We arrived back at the room to get ready for dinner; I went outside to hang our bathing suites out to dry and discovered a pair of women’s panties hanging from one of the balcony chairs. At this point I was fit to be tied. I called the front desk to explain what had happen and I spoke with a gentleman who was completely aphetic to my concerns.who said they were sending up a house keeping supervisor. 10 minutes later a house keeper came to remove the used panties. She was not a supervisor and just directed us back to the front desk.

At this point we went to the front desk and I explained the whole situation. The front desk person literary said what would you like me to do? I told him that my wife would not say in that room. Due to what we found she was concerned of what else was missed in the room.

When relaying to the gentleman what we had experienced he chuckled about the panty issue. Not once was there any concern that moving rooms three times in 24 hours. It was almost like he was doing us a favor for moving us. I had to tell him that we would not sleep in that room. It was almost like the front desk staff did not feel that our experience was a big deal.

I am sure he was just doing what he was trained to do. This has been very trying and nothing was done to truly rectify the situation. We were given the new room begrudgingly and there was not one apology. We are staying at the hotel for 8 nights and at this point our experience has not been great.

That evening after dinner I was still upset about the whole situation and I emailed the hotel manager Debi Bishop. I explain to her exactly what we had experience. The following day I received a call from the action Manager asking me if she could send up and amenity to apologize for the troubles. I asked her if she read the email. She said no and that she only saw the pictures. I began to explain the whole story to her and she asked me what she could do to help. At this point I wanted an upgrade of some sort. She said that she could not give me an upgrade but she ended up giving us a couple massage at the spa.
I know that the acting manager did what was in her power but it really felt like they could care less about my experience. We had to pack and unpack 3 times in 36 hours because of bad housekeeping. It seems as if there really is not any customer service at this hotel. They have you there, it’s a small island and you have to deal with whatever is thrown at you. It is a beautiful resort and it would have been much better if we had better service. I will not go back to this resort and we are planning on going back to Kona in the near future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
HiltonWaikoloa, General Manager at Hilton Waikoloa Village, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to explain your situation. We are sorry about this disappointing experience during your stay with us. As a traveler myself, I appreciate it when I open the door to a hotel room and find clean, comfortable accommodations. I will follow up on your experience with our Housekeeping and Front Desk departments. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a relaxing, enjoyable stay. Thank you again for your feedback. Your experience was a rare exception to our high standards of warm service and clean accommodations and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Been to Hilton Waikoloa Village? Share your experiences!