“Bigger than a Hotel room but not as clean” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Bay Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort

You added The Bay Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort to your Saves list
The Bay Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   69-450 Waikoloa Beach Drive, Waikoloa, Island of Hawaii, HI 96738   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New Jersey
“Bigger than a Hotel room but not as clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

We stayed at the Bay Club last Christmas. The ground floor 2 bed/2 bath unit was spacious enough for 3 adults and 2 children and had a lot of useful amenities such as a washer/dryer and fully equiped kitchen. The concierge was dilligent and courteous and really made the apparent isolation of the Bay club less felt with her great driving directions.

The unit itself is where we had issues with its age and cleanliness. The bathrooms, kitchen and carpet were pretty old and dirty. The bathrooms had a strong smell of mildew and the white plastic shower curtains had dark stuff growing along the bottom edges. Probably because the bathtubs took about 15 minutes to drain--after you finished your shower. The fixtures and cabinets in the baths and kitchen were remnants from the 80's and were sticky to the touch. We asked them to do something about the bathrooms and they said, sorry, they were as clean as they could get them. I just had to have our 3 year old try not to sit down or touch anything when bathing.

Otherwise the facilities of nearby HGVC were more than adequate if you didn't want to hop on a shuttle bus or drive.

• Liked — It's between two golf courses
  • Disliked — Its age and grungy feel.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

I just returned from a 7 day stay at the Bay Club, part of the Hilton Grand Vacation Club (HGVC) at Waikoloa on the Big Island of Hawaii. The Bay Club looks to be the first phase of the HGVC that was built a few years back. There are newer units that have been built and you can definately tell the difference on outside appearance of the units. Don’t get me wrong, the HGVC is a very nice resort destination, but the older units are starting to show wear and tear compared to the new units built right next door.

I arrived at the main HGVC building by accident and had to ask if that was where you check in for the Bay Club, as there were no signs on the streets pointing to CHECK IN. The check-in process was fairly easy, as I was a guest of my parents (the owners), and all I had to do was say my name and give a credit card for deposit, and 5 dollars and some change for Hawaii hotel taxes. After receiving my key I got back in my rental car and head over to the building.

The condo we had was 2 bedroom on the 3rd floor, overlooking the 17th green on the Beach Course, and we could see the ocean in the distance on the wrap around patio. The condo was very well equipped for the week long stay, with maid service scheduled to be provided once during the week. The kitchen had everything we needed to prepare all meals although it seems the kitchen could use some updating as the cabinets seemed a bit worn and used heavily. The main TV in the family room had a DVD player, there was also a stereo in that room. The master bedroom had lots of room to move around, comfortable bed, with the only downside being it also seemed like the dresser furniture could use some upgrading.
The 2nd bedroom was much smaller than the master but had its own full bath. Both bathrooms were in serious need of an update to the faucet, sinks, and shower fixtures, as they are showing their age.

I loved the wrap around patio that had a table with 4 chairs and 3 lounge chairs…great for napping in the afternoon tropical breezes….

The HGVC had several nice pools that we could use, several hot tubs, and several gas BBQ's for grilling…located in each building complex….Lots of towels at the pool areas, which you could take to the beach with you if you were going to one that day….and then just return them.

The only item I really disliked was the high pressure sales pitch the coincerrage/activity advisors would give you each time you asked them a question at various, always trying to sign me up for a timeshare overview….I declined upfront very fast.

The Bay Club is a 15-20 minute walk to the beach area at " A Bay", just south of the Hilton Waikoloa resort….I suggest going to Hapuna State Park north of Waikoloa resort area about 5 miles…….Enjoy….

• Liked — Everything you need is supplied in the condo
  • Disliked — the units at the bay club need major fxitures renovated
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Castro Valley, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2007

Stayed an entire week at HGVC in Waikoloa recently. Even though there were three nice pools to choose from in the HGVC and Bay Club properties, we had full access to Hilton Waikoloa property pools. When at Hilton Hotels, go to pool cabana where towels are handed out..signed in using HGVC room # and were given wristbands etc, no questions asked.
The HGVC is a very nice condo complex - - good ACs and well stocked with supplies. BBQs are in common area, but not far from the rooms. Recommend 1st floor if you have kids, they can run around on the grass outside the lanai. No views however.
There is a shuttle that runs hourly, goes to Hilton Hotel, Kings Shops, A-Beach etc. No charge. Otherwise, if you want to get groceries and other provisions that are priced more toward what you are used to ($4 for a cup of coffee!), get a car and drive to Waikoloa Village 6 miles away for groceries etc.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — no view
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston , MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2007

My sister and I both in our early twenties and my boyfriend and my mom stayed at the Bay club June 5-13. I honestly can only say one negative thing about this resort. In order to use the pools at the Hilton down the street you have to pay $80 a day extra as people staying at the Bay club do not have acess to using the pools. Honestly I loved the Big Island and everything it had to offer. The resort itself was awesome! It was spacious and clean and it had a huge bathroom with a jacuzzi tub. The kitchen was also huge and it also had a huge patio. We foung this resort to be very relaxing and the staff was always very helpful with any questions you had. I would definatly recommend renting a car while you are there. The Big Island has many things to do but they are very spread out. If you get a chance go to hilo. Its about a hour drive and have beautiful waterfalls to stop and look at along the way. oh yeah also go to the flee market its really fun! I honestly dont know if i would return again just only because its was a little too laid back for me. Its probley not really for someone in their 20s, more for retired couples. But still loved it.

• Liked — The beautiful rooms
  • Disliked — Not being able to use the pools at the hilton
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2007

We found the Bay Club to be a great place to stay! After all the less than stellar reviews, I was a bit concerned until we arrived. The Hilton has done a good job updating the rooms, they obviously are not as nice as the new buildings at the HGVC (which is in the same complex), but they are up to Hilton standards.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite on the 3rd floor, and had a view of the golf course. The beds, carpet and furniture in our room were new. The kitchen had been remodeled and had a huge fridge and was stocked plates/pans/ect. The bathrooms were not as updated as I would have liked. The bath towels that were provided were adequate, but not normal Hilton quality - one of my complaints. A small thing, but it was odd.

We used the HGVC pool a few times, which was small, but VERY nice and never busy while we were there. There are also 2 other pools in the Bay Club area, both never looked busy when we were there. We also took advantage of the grills on the property that were great for saving some money on dinner! We did get the sales calls for timeshare ect, but they just left messages and we never felt pressured or bothered by the sales people. The front desk staff were very nice and accomindating.

The area around the resort is great! The 2 golf courses are right down the road, shopping around the corner, and the Hilton Hotel across the street is fun to walk around in, eat at or use the spa. There is a shuttle around the resort area that is nice to use. Also, there is a BEAUTIFUL beach in the resort complex that I would highly recommend visiting!

We would definatey stay at the Bay Club again!

• Liked — The resort was well maintained & the staff was friendly
  • Disliked — The bathrooms could have been updated more
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Puyallup, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2007

We stayed in a one bedrm for the first 6 days extended our stay in a 2 bedroom. Very well maintained and clean. I cannot complain. We had an aswesome time. Room service is limited you have to travel to eat unless you want a limited menu at the pool. Try the Kings Course golf course fantastic menu and low $$. If you want a bit more Merrimans at the Kings Shops is very good a bit pricey but worth it. Our travel dates 04/22/07-05/02/07.

Last but not least do go to Hapuna Beach early in your visit don't wait is beautiful and I am sorry I did not go sooner.

• Liked — Size
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Albuquerque
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2007

We visited the bay Club this March and we had a wonderful time. We traveled with our 4 year old son and my father in law and we all enjoyed our time there.

The pools are ideal for kids and the entertaining program eg. Mahalo Party on Thursday night with free icecream and Bingo was perfect for my father in law.

It was our first time there and it definetly won't be our last. Ideal for family with kids and older people.

The apartment was very clean and no bug problem at all.

• Liked — very friendly staff and clean apartment
  • Disliked — only avarage internet availability
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Bay Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!