“Something Changed from previous reviews - Excellent Place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 56 Restaurants in Waikoloa
Cuisines: American, Hawaiian, Eclectic, Pacific Rim
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Outdoor seating, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Nibble & NoshThe restaurant features 140 seats in an open air setting with seats on the lanai or directly outside on the beach. Drawing upon an open air ambiance, swaying coconut trees, stunning sunsets and tropical trade winds, the restaurant features “relaxed island cuisine” and a varied menu with options for light dining on fresh fish tacos and burgers as well as the Chef's creative preparations of steak, Hawaiian seafood and more upscale options. Sip & SavorNot only does the bar feature innovative beverages, further reasons to stay and enjoy a libation include tiki torches, live music and couches in the sand. Nothing really compares to wiggling your toes in the sand and watching the sun go down.The only restaurant and bar on the beach at Waikoloa Resort. Come live lava lava and you may not ever want to leave.
Washington DC
“Something Changed from previous reviews - Excellent Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Friends invited us to dinner at Lava Lava so I went on-line to look at reviews. Most recent reviews were very negative from substituted fish to wait staff. So, we were apprehensive. First, they had ample parking near the restaurant. Next, we entered and gave our name for the reservation and were promptly seated on the patio with great access to the sunset view - maybe 20 feet from the water. Next our waitress appeared promptly for drink orders. Very nice and then we ordered the food. We ordered a spinach and arugula salad with strawberries and a light dressing. Wonderful salad - great balance of flavors. Next most of the table had the seafood stew with a quarter pound lobster tail, shrimp and other seafood. The overall comments were that it was superb - even the bread was great. I did not get to taste it because I was too busy with my miso encrusted Ahi tuna that was lightly seared to perfection sitting on mashed (this word does not do them justice) potatoes with vegetables and topped with an onion ring and orange slice. Wow! So good. For some reason, we also had the sweet potato fries. These were excellent - lightly fried with lots of flavor.. I saved about 1/3 of my tuna and asked for it wrapped to take "home". This is where the service took a step up to excellent. The waitress came back and apologized for dropping my tuna - she said they were going to prepare another piece. She brought me another complete meal! So, all those bad reviews I read taught me a lesson to sometimes give a place another try. Something must have changed and definitely to the better. Oh, by the way, the view is spectacular, there was live music which was background - not over whelming. Service was great. The only negative was the Trade Winds were heavy and sometimes blew things around - who can control the weather. I would go back to this place. I rated everything excellent although if I could use half marks I would have done that just because I have been to excellent places with different (not necessarily better) food and service.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Houston, Texas
“Great food with an incredible view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stumbled on this our last day on the island. We had to check out of the airport at noon and didn't need to be at the airport until 3. We were thrilled with the view of the beach and intrigued by the little cottages to be rented for vacationers. My husband had the pulled pork sandwich and his only complaint was the pineapple on the sandwich had not been "cored". I had the coconut shrimp and MY only complaint is I could have eaten twice as much as received because they were delicious. Price is consistent with the area. I would recommend this restaurant whole-heartedly.

Visited May 2013
Richardson, Texas
“Great place for lunch (and sea turtles!)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Right on the beach. Good options for lunch. We shared the Not yo' Mama's Nachos with kalua pork. Very generous portion. Very tasty. (One "oops!" requested the jalepenos on the side, but they were sprinkled throughout. Our server apologized, and we were able to pick them out for the most part...) Our server was very personable. The selections of the other diners around us looked great, too.

This beach is famous locally for the arrival of sea turtles in the afternoon to munch on the algae on the rocks and to sun on the rocks. We saw at least a dozen today.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
El Segundo, California
“Meh food, beautiful view”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The food is just ok... That seems to be the theme in most of the reviews for this place. The view is simply breath-taking, and that made up for the meh food. There was also live entertainment the night we were there, and they kept it up beat and light-hearted.

Visited May 2013
“Embarrassing Evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

My son and daughter found this last year in Aug. We love the atmosphere. Sitting right on the beach. We went back this year the night was great. The second night we paid again with the Aloha dollars from Hilton, which they took the first night for happy hour. This night we also had dinner with our drinks. We were told they woundn't take them. Very embarrassing !!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Nick R, General Manager at Lava Lava Beach Club, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Aloha and thank you for your comments. On the Hilton Aloha Dollars, it states on the back that they cannot be applied with other specials or offers, nor can it be applied to alcohol. It sounds like to me you got your food taken care of but not the alcohol. In addition, you had your Happy Hour bill taken care of by Aloha $ the night before, so that's our fault for not catching it. Hopefully you'll come back and see us again regardless. Aloha!