“Mediocre Food, Quite good Luau staff/dancers” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 31 Activities in Waikoloa
Type: Dinner Theaters, Performances
Boston, Massachusetts
13 attraction reviews
“Mediocre Food, Quite good Luau staff/dancers”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

The Hilton needs to move it's food quality up a big notch. The up-charge for priority seating of $25 per person is highway robbery as all seats have good view, and contrary to the sales pitch, all seats were served table-side. Priority may have provided open bar...but was there actually alcohol in those drinks? I can't say so. I am not one to down half a dozen drinks to find out. The dancers were really quite fine and tried hard and succeeded. MC did well and added a touch of humor and could expand on that. EXPENSIVE for what it offers.

Nebraska
29 attraction reviews
“Food was cold when served.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We had to sit with our backs to the entetainment, we left early. This luau doesnt even come close to Jermaines in Oahu.

Visited March 2013
Orangeville, Illinois
7 attraction reviews
“A really nice job by the entertainers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

The food was really good, the drinks great, but I'd have liked the show to have started just a bit sooner. I think kids would have been bored with it somewhat, but really tiny ones seemed to enjoy the music and dancing by the groups.

Seattle, Washington
16 attraction reviews
“Save Your Money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I guess everything is relative. If this is the only luau on the Big Island, than it's the best and worst. It's the only one that I've been to on the big island, but I've been to so many that are much better on the other islands - Germaines, Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu, Smith's Tropical Luau on Kauai. All with much better food and shows.

Pros - the show is well choreographed. The hula is performed well. The fire dance is first rate. The Ahi Poke was excellent, the assortment of food is amazing. The desserts are pretty good. The potato/mac salad was pretty good, sweet potatoes pretty good, local tomatoes good. Drinks are okay. Hostess has a great voice.

Cons - the biggest dissapointment was the food. Kalua Pork dry and stringy/overdone, fish dry, short rib beef overdone. Sweetbread rolls dry. People around us from the mainland and other countries also complained about the mediocre food. I'm a stage lighting guy, and the lighting is done as an afterthought. I don't like the abrupt fades.

All in all, if it's the only luau choice you have, then it's probably worth going to. if you have other options on the other islands, I'd wait for them

Gainesville, Virginia
18 attraction reviews
“Disappointing Luau”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I used to live on Oahu and I have to admit that this luau was a big disappointment. I only went because we received free tickets. I have to compare this to the Paradise Cove luau on Oahu and it pails in comparison. There were very few people there (poor atmosphere), there were two "authentic" traditional Hawaiian artisans. The tattoo artist was very nice, but sat in a folding chair and drew (very beautiful) temporary tattoos in black Sharpie marker. The other was a young girl that obviously could care less about being there. She was absently twirling balls on string. The musicians were okay, nothing you wouldn't see in any restaurant or bar on the island. The hula dancers were average and seemed to lack any real passion. The whole experience was very disappointing and I am bummed that I took two friends that had not been to a luau before. I had to explain much of what was going on and told them that they should not use this as a barometer for a luau. The tickets (if I had to pay for them) would have been horribly over-priced for the event. The only positive was that the food was good.

Visited January 2013