“Very Nice Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

You added Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   69-275 Waikoloa Beach Drive, Waikoloa, Island of Hawaii, HI 96738   |
Hotel deals
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Very Nice Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed here a couple of nights over Spring Break having stayed here before. We really like this hotel. Everything is very convenient due to proximity to the King's and Queen's Shops. Pool is substantial with a small slide. There is a kids area with sand bottom. Not overly crowded like the Hilton. We had a nice ocean view room overlooking the pool. Nice grounds with the Hawaiian fishponds and beach. They have a little kiosk in the lobby with "Starbucks"-type fare for breakfast. Would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
Waikoloa, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Believe it or not, I was over on the Big Island just for one night, and decided to stay at a hotel. We usually stay at a vacation rental condo, but due to the short stay this worked out better.
Staff very pleasant, common areas beautiful, great location, and nice rooms.
Didn't get to use the amenities much, but it appeared to be a very family friendly place.
I am not usually the resort type, but this was very nice.

• Stayed March 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed at this hotel resort as part of an incentive trip my husband won. The incentive winners were spread across the Marriott, Hilton, Mauna Kea and Fairmont. The Marriott didn't measure up to the other hotels. All four hotels are around the Waikoloa area which is very, very windy. The nearest small town is Kailua-Kona, about a half hour drive from Waikoloa. The Sheraton is a better option if you want to be closer to town (and out of the wind).

The first room we were given was touted as having a garden view. Forgive me, but looking over a concrete roof with a vague glimpse of the highway in the distance does not constitute a garden or a view. My man is not picky, but one look at his face when he saw the "view" was enough for me to insist on a room change. The next room was more tatty but had a view of the roof, the pool and the ocean.

The hotel is tired. An upgrade is long overdue. The reception staff would also benefit from some customer service training. The other staff teams were helpful. At least the rooms were clean. The pool area is good with plenty of loungers and towels available. Lots of good pools and a decent span of beach. The Mauna Kea hotel beach, though, is spectacular.

Watch out for the car hire desk in the hotel. We requested a Mustang, but were given another car - but charged for the Mustang. The clerk was not interested in adjusting our rate or making any effort to accommodate our request.

We had to pay for an extra night ourselves. Not sure what the other hotels charge, but I would rather pay more for another hotel.

Room Tip: Insist on a room with a decent view. The "garden view" includes roofs and the parking lot.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

This was a nice hotel with a surprise warm lei greeting and all of the rooms have some sort of ocean view, even if its partial. The rooms are elegant and even sexy for Marriott. This is not a romantic place, definitely not for honeymooners unless you have small kids. I liked this better than the Hilton because we had a real beach and the Hilton bartenders seemed as though they'd had their fill of virgin daiquiris. The hot tubs are 24/7 at Marriott which we loved. Overall, the food and parking prices are outrageous, spa overrated, and there is far more to see on the big island to be wedded to one place for too long. We had a pleasant stay and memorable view :)

• Stayed March 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed at the Waikoloa Marriott for one week in early March. The overall experience was great. Our contact with staff was always courteous and each was helpful. I would especially like to point out the terrfic service provided by the Hotel's concierge service. Each morning an orientation is provided by the service and don't miss it. Amanda did the presentation the day we attended. Her insights and recommendations were spot-on.

In addition to the concierge service one other individual stood out, Frank the Manage on Duty. Frank, I aplogize I can not remember your last name. I do however remember the open and gracious way you treated my wife and me. If you stay at this Marriott, seek him out. I am sure he will be able to help you.

Bel Air, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights on our first trip to Hawaii during Christmas break 2012. My family of 4 traveled from the east coast, spent one night in Oahu and then flew to Hilo to do some sightseeing there. After an activity packed day we drove across the island to Waikoloa to the hotel, arriving there at about 12:30 am. When I arrived I was told that they had our room which was an oceanfront king. I explained that I had four people, and we booked a room with two beds months ago. At that point I was told that was not a guarantee, merely a request and I asked where exactly my two children would sleep. I was told the hotel was completely booked, but eventually they found another room--not oceanfront--that had a sleeper sofa and king bed. At 1am we got to the room and went to make the sleeper sofa and found blood on the mattress. When I called to complain to the front desk I was told to flip the mattress. At 7am I got a call from the front desk--different clerk--to tell me the difference in the room cost and ask me if I still wanted the room type I had booked--which I did--and then was told it would not be available during our stay. They woke up our entire family to tell me that they didn't have our room! I went to the front desk to complain and was asked if I wanted to send an email, which I did not, but then spoke to a supervisor who was very nice and gave us a complimentary luau. I know we would not stay at this hotel again and was happy to leave after the two nights.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We enjoy our stay at the Mariott. Pool were big and heated. There could have been more shade by the pool or at the beach. Nice beach activities for the kids, kayak, paddle board, glass bottom boat, etc... Very nice location, near variety of restaurants, grocery stores. Perfect weather! We would definetly go back .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!