“Weather changed our itinerary, but still so fun!” 5 of 5 stars

Attraction Details
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Denver, Colorado
13 attraction reviews
“Weather changed our itinerary, but still so fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

We were scheduled for the Big Island Spectacular 2-hour tour, but weather prevented the volcano portion of our tour. So, we got to the see just the north-side waterfalls and cliffs portion. The staff at Blue Hawaiian were gracious and gave us the option of the other shorter tour (with refund for the volcano portion), or offered to refund our money if we wanted to cancel entirely. Our pilot Steve was so fun - very charismatic, without being annoying or too chatty. ....Be prepared to spend a few hundred dollars per person - don't think you'll get to do this kind of trip for cheap. (Nor would you want to skimp on an activity like this, IMO.) The waterfalls were amazing - a total must-see on the Big Island! If we go back to Kona, we will definitely use Blue Hawaiian to try for the volcano portion of the tour that we missed!

Visited December 2013

Bellingham, Washington
11 attraction reviews
“Fantastic Tour of the Big Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I took the Big Island tour to see the volcanic activity as well as the waterfalls on the island. It was a super tour and showed the diverse topography of the island. Very educational as well. You can purchase a DVD of your tour, which is nice.

Visited December 2013
Johnsburg, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
“Our pilot Scott was fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

We took the hour long Circle of Fire tour from Hilo on our recent trip to the Big Island. The experience was one of the highlights of our trip! Our pilot Scott was fantastic – I would definitely ask for him by name in the future. He was extremely knowledgeable about the island and volcanoes and it was obvious how much he enjoys his job. We got to see the crater that is currently flowing lava as well as forests that are burning because of the lava flow. Toward the end of our flight the clouds rolled in making it difficult to see anything so Scott got permission to take us to see Rainbow Falls in Hilo – definitely cool from the air!

We went back can forth on whether to book the flight given the cost and we weren’t sure what we would see, but I can honestly say it was worth it. If you are on the fence about it because of the cost try booking the A-star instead of the Eco-star. We were in the A-star and thought it was comfortable and had great views.

Anacortes, Washington
5 attraction reviews
“The only way to really "see" the island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

This was our 2nd Blue Hawaiian helicopter trip (first one was on Maui). This was 10 times better! I agree it was a bit pricey but very worth every penny. We did the 2 hour flight with Tom. He was very knowledgeable and a crack up. Our family of 4 shared a smaller helicopter and the only issue is that the two men were over 6' tall and they were feeling pretty cramped after the first hour. However, the scenery helped them forget their discomfort. The views were amazing, nothing you can see from a car or on food. Tom is a very skillful pilot and we were able to really get excellent views of the volcano and especially the rainforest. As another reviewer wrote, the lava hasn't been flowing in the ocean and that would have been spectacular to see but Tom made sure we got to see all of the other natural anomalies that we've only seen on TV. I would skip eating out over missing this tour. I can't imagine it wouldn't be the highlight of your vacation.

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Mom and Little Man's first Helicopter Ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Breath taking both awe inspiring and terrifying for mom but totally relaxing for my son. He's three. Our pilot Steve took my husband, three year old and I alone to the helicopter before we went up in it and let my three year old explore the helicopter. He let him put the head phones on, sit in the pilot seat and my son was so happy and so excited. He loved being one of the guys with pilot Steve and his dad checking out the exterior of the helicopter and discussing it. When we got inside, Steve had the most soothing voice and he just talked us through the whole ride. He gave us tips, checked in with us and gave us an expertly guided tour of the Kohala Coast. My son fell asleep about half way through the tour. For me, I have scuba dived well beyond recreational dive limits, jumped out of air planes, visited the polar bear capital of the world, dove with sharks, worked on fishing vessels in Alaska's Bering sea, I can go on but what I can say is that this is right up there. If not at the top of the list of the most spectacular things I have ever seen. My family had an experience of a lifetime and our guides made it both informative and enjoyable. My husband was completely comfortable. He thought the pilot was a very nice person, didn't miss a beat and gave us a wonderful, knowledgeable tour. We definitely recommend anyone, young or old take the opportunity to experience this.