“Very good sushi and ramen” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar

Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar
Queens Market Place, Waikoloa Beach Resort, 201 Waikoloa Beach Drive Suite 801, Waikoloa, Island of Hawaii, HI 96738
808-886-6286
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 56 Restaurants in Waikoloa
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Very good sushi and ramen”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

My wife likes sushi and I like ramen. This restaurant pleased us both. Started with the Shrimp Cake as a joint appetizer. This dish was recommneded on another Trip Advisor review. We both enjoyed this dish. My wife really liked the Yaki-Maki Roll and the Mango Crab Roll. I had a piece of each and liked these rolls as well. I liked the Crab Ramen, it was recommnded by our waitperson over the original ramen. The broth was very good and there was plenty of noodles to enjoy. The crab was not what I expected (finely diced), but it mixed in very well with the broth and noodles, giving the entire dish a good and enjoyable flavor. Because we did not order the more expensive steak or seafood entre items, total cost, including two glasses of wine and tip, was $90. We will most likely return to this restaurant before we depart the island.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Calgary, Canada
“Underwhelming and Cheezy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Well this was a disappointment. The cheezy surroundings fit the style of the food - flavours competing and not very "fresh" or interesting. Ernest servers though, and pleasant staff. The beef had been marinated and was mushy and not very good. My fish was overcooked. Sushi sup-par... not what should be expected from Hawaii grade fish. Would not recommend it. As other writers suggest, Monstera is far superior in food quality, price, value, and for us, ambiance. If Sansei could up their game, it would be great but based upon the flocks of people (a lot of "walk in's like us) I can't see them changing their focus, unfortunately. Great location but a disappointing venue overall.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Just ok”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We visited two Japanese-style restaurants while in Waikoloa...Sansei (Queens Land) and Monstera (at Mauna Lani). Both were priced about the same (actually Sansei was more) but if you want authentic Japanese with fresh ingredients and great service, don't go to Sansei...go to Montstera. Sansei was expensive for what you get....chain restaurant-like atmosphere.... Service not great (several things we requested, like salt, were never delivered to table). A dish highly recommended by the server was their mushroom dish- it was dried out and flavorless. The avocado roll was tiny. I am vegan (not my husband) so the menu was very limited, which is unusual at a Japanese restaurant. The server said she had a tofu dish that was vegan so I ordered it. It was a block of very, very soft, uncooked tofu with a small amount of very bland broth of some sort. Gross. The food came out at all different times so my husband sat with his dinner getting cold until some of my dishes were served much later. The server said it was because the restaurant was busy and the kitchen slammed....no excuse. The meal was well over $100 for two of us and that was with a 25% discount.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego, California
“Underwhelmed...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

The atmosphere is very nice, but the food doesn't make it worth the trip, unfortunately. I ordered a simple, standard California roll, which normally contains avocado. Not only was the roll small, but IF there was avocado in there, it was microscopic. Considering that avocados are gone here, it can't be a supply issue. And the roll didn't have that much flavor to it.

My girlfriend ordered the cucumber/avocado roll and the avocado was also MIA (Missing In Action).

So, the ruling on this one is...we wouldn't go back again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Local Sushi, You'll Feel at Home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Local Sushi joint, no pretense, totally casual. The sushi was excellent, fresh, great portions. I felt like I was in my neighborhood joint. Shorts and flipflops, no problem, just good food. Large, well stocked bar.

Visited November 2012