“fallywall” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Volcano Hale (Chalet Kilauea Collection)

You added Volcano Hale (Chalet Kilauea Collection) to your Saves list
Volcano Hale (Chalet Kilauea Collection)
2.0 of 5 Lodge   |   19-4178 Wright Road, Volcano, Island of Hawaii, HI 96785   |
Offers & Announcements
10% off room rate
Burnaby, Canada
“fallywall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Rooms small but adequate, shared bathrooms never an issue for us or our friends (another couple) Clean, quiet, tricky to find in the total darkness. Enjoyed the hot tub, and the breakfast was awesome - so enjoyed the fresh fruit and the local bakery breads. Eating off china plates with silver ware was an added bonus. Our friends first trip to Hawaii, and our first on this Island, and we were not disappointed! Spent 2 days enjoying the scenic volcano surroundings.

Room Tip: Some ceilings lower in some rooms, so if taller, ask for higher ceiling room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
ChaletKilauea, Guest Relations Manager at Volcano Hale (Chalet Kilauea Collection), responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Aloha and thank you for choosing Volcano Hale for your stay. We are pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and were able to share your vacation with friends. It's great that you were able to enjoy the breakfast and the china that's provided during breakfast. We hope that you had a great vacation on the Big Island and that you will come back and visit if ever in the area. Mahalo and aloha!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Waikoloa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

This is a property remotely managed by someone completely off site. Everything as far as bath and kitchen are shared. Woke up one morning to dirty under ware and socks spread across the community dining table. Really, I am all about peace, love and happiness, but dirty hippies should stay in a tent. When we told the girl at the desk ( 3 miles away ) her response was "that's the risk u take when staying at a place like this. Won't be staying again.

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for taking your time to review Volcano Hale on Tripadvisor. We apologize that you did not have a great experience with us. Unfortunately, it sounds like you had some neighbors that did not have very good manners. We are sorry to hear that however, it is something that is very much out of our control. I believe that the front desk was probably trying to explain just that. While there may have been confusion and/or misunderstanding about what was said, we really cannot control other guests' actions unless there is illegal activity. To address your comments about off-site management and the distance of our main office: We are exactly a 30 second drive (about 1/8 of a mile) from the main office where you checked in, not 3 miles. Furthermore, management is 1/8 of a mile (at the front office) from the Volcano Hale and we also provide a manager on duty that is on-call 24 hours a day that is available for such things. So I do not understand the statements that were made but I hope that I was able to address any confusions, misunderstandings, or misconceptions that may have taken place. Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope that you enjoyed the rest of your vacation. Aloha.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I had seen Volcano Hale advertised on Tripadvisor before I got to Hawaii but wasn't sure what day I would be at Volcano. The day I got there I hadn't booked accommodations before I got to the village of Volcano. I was in need of a place to stay, so I looked up the address of Volcano Hale, and got to the check in area just after they had closed at 5 pm. The woman at the desk helped me arrange a room. Cost was $85 after tax. I think I had seen a cheaper rate online (~$67), but it might be a different room in the house that had been cheaper. I didn't ask. The other bnbs in the area are easily around $125, and the only room available at the hotel in the National Park was over $300.

Volcano Hale is a beautifully renovated 102 year old building nestled away from the main street in a beautiful rainforest setting. The landscaping was lovely with big hibiscus plants out front. I really enjoyed my room. A very comfortable and clean king size bed. The humidifier was running in the room, I turned it off at night and opened the windows to let some fresh rainforest air in. It was so nice to listen to the rain and the very loud tree frogs at night.

The bathrooms were nice, I never ran into any trouble having access to one.

I also prefer to cook for myself when I travel, rather than eat at restaurants, so I enjoyed access to the kitchen. It was clean and fairly spacious.

I would have stayed another night if I wasn't on a tight schedule!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Aloha and mahalo for reviewing Volcano Hale on Tripadvisor. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found all the provided amenities helpful on your vacation here. As for the price, you are correct. There are different sizes of rooms with different sizes of beds at Volcano Hale so each one is priced accordingly. It is great that you enjoyed the surrounding sounds and beauty of our rain-forest as much as we do!! We find it to be most relaxing and a great change of pace from the noise of city and resort life. Again, we thank you for your lovely comments and hope that you will come back and visit if ever in the area. Mahalo and aloha!!!
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I am usually not a fan of places with shared facilities, but in the case of the Volcano Hale it was just fine. The Volcano Hale is one a few places that belong to the same "collection". You check in at the Chalet Kilauea, and get directions to the Volcano Hale. The building is 102 years old, and absolutely gorgeous! It features common room and kitchen, as well as a few shared bathrooms. I had a room on the top floor, and had to share the bathroom with only one other room. The room was spacious and beautiful. The bathroom was very clean and well appointed, had a large walk-in shower, and plenty of towels and toiletries - all modern and very nice! I was lucky with the occupants of the other room, since even after they had a shower, the bathroom looked spotless. Internet was supposed to work in the common areas only, but I was able to get a signal even in the bedroom. There is ample off-street parking, but even if you had to park on the street it didn't matter, since it is a very small and quiet road. You can book breakfast for just $6.50, which you would take back at the Chalet. The variety was not great, but it was good food, bottomless coffee, and even special local bread. All very good and certainly good value for money. And a gorgeous little breakfast place with a great view on the pond and gardens.
The only issue I had with this place was the noise that came from the common room and kitchen. I was a floor up, and it still came through the walls. However, everybody went to bed early, so it didn't affect any sleep.
Overall, I was very pleasantly surprised, and loved the place. The location close to the Volcanoes National Park is an added bonus. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Get one of the two rooms at the top floor. There, you only share a bathroom with one other room, and...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to provide comments and feedback for Volcano Hale on Tripadvisor. It's always great to hear about our guests' experiences while they were here and we are pleased that you had an enjoyable experience with us. Unfortunately, noisy neighbors are never fun so we apologize for any disruptions or inconvenience on their behalf. We definitely agree that it can be frustrating, however, hard to control. It is unfortunate that some do not have consideration for others. It seems that you still found everything enjoyable and all the amenities useful, so we are glad for that. Please come back and visit again on any future vacations to Hawai'i. Mahalo!
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Volcano Hale for 3 nights - at first, we were very surprised when we saw the room - is was as big as a matchbox, but it was very cozy, clean, and well decorated for a comfortable stay. The bathrooms were shared, but they were newly renovated, clean, and there were three of them in the chalet, so it was never a problem. We were paying only $60 per night, free internet, great location to the village and restaurants, great greenery on the property. We definitely recommend. Good luck!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Mahalo for reviewing the Volcano Hale!! We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the room to be comfortable and clean. We realize that some of the rooms there may be a little smaller than some prefer. However, with that said, we are also able to provide the best rates for the area by providing just the basics needed for a stay in Volcano. This option provides guests more financial freedom to do what they want while they are here. Also, thank you so much for your recommendation of Volcano Hale. We hope that you will come back and visit on any future trips to Hawai'i.
Kirkland, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

This was our first time staying in a bed and breakfast-type place. It was a lot of fun. A bit of an adventure waking up and looking forward to the new faces I'd see in the kitchen.

Amber, in the front desk, was particularly helpful and friendly. We liked her.

The room we stayed at didn't have the most comfortable bed, but for the price I think we were okay with it.

Sometimes the bathroom is as clean as the other people in the building with you. Fortunately, we had pretty clean people.

Overall I really liked my stay there. I would describe it as fun.

Room Tip: Great location if you're planing on visiting the volcano or Hilo.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Aloha and thank you for taking your time to review Volcano Hale on Tripadvisor. It is great to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and met some friendly people while you were here! Also, we appreciate the nice comments about the friendliness of our staff. We hope you will choose us again on any future trips to the Big Island of Hawai'i. Mahalo and Aloha!!
Rockford, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

1. Difficult to find after dark.
2. Do not like to share bathroom since I often have to get up at night
3. Best for short people as it is easy to bump your head
4. No chair to sit on. Thus difficult to change shoes and clothes

Room Tip: stay in Hilo and drive
Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

ChaletKilauea, Guest Relations Manager at Volcano Hale (Chalet Kilauea Collection), responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Aloha and thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. Yes, it does get dark at night here and can be more difficult to find for some. We usually recommend getting here before dark but I realize that is not always possible. However, what makes us so unique is that we are not in the middle of the city with all the noise and lights that many of our guests want a break from. (A little paradise where our guests can actually enjoy nature and the beautiful surrounding rain-forest.) It's unfortunate that you had a less than enjoyable experience with the property you booked. We do however, advertise Volcano Hale as a shared bathroom facility. Usually, the guests that book already know if they are able to share bathrooms or not and make plans accordingly. Furthermore, Volcano Hale is advertised as a "budget" property. We are competitively priced for the area and many guests find that the basic necessities that Volcano Hale provides is sufficient, as most guests are out enjoying the volcano anyway. Again, we are sorry that your stay was anything but pleasant and relaxing and hope that you enjoyed the rest of your stay on the Big Island of Hawai'i. Mahalo and Aloha!!!

Been to Volcano Hale (Chalet Kilauea Collection)? Share your experiences!