“Cozy, beautiful , rainforest bungalows” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Nov & Dec now 25% off!!
Ranked #7 of 30 Volcano B&B and Inns
arkansas
“Cozy, beautiful , rainforest bungalows”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

An intimate property tucked away in the palms and ferns , volcano village lodge was just perfect for the start of our anniversary trip to the big island. We arrived after the office closed ( 6pm) and so they had our lights on and door unlocked, goodies on the table and breakfast for the following morning in the fridge. A delicious bottle of wine ( with a little sign to congratulate us) was also put out for us to enjoy in the rocking chairs on our porch. Lovely. Comfortable bed and bedding and the gas fire stove were welcome on cool nights. They have thought of everything for a special stay.
This is a wonderfully run gem of a place! Highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
emmaspencerliving, Manager at Volcano Village Lodge, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Aloha and thank you for taking time to write a review. We appreciate your kind words. We hope to see you again in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Santa Rosa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This place is amazing. We stayed in the Mauna Loa lodge and it was beautiful. The bed was sooo comfortable, the shower was great, the kitchenette with all the extra treats and breakfast were delicious, and the view of the rainforest out every window was amazing. This resort is top drawer.

The only draw back, and it was a big one, is the lighting. They leave the outside lights on around the office and hot tub and, I believe, in unoccupied lodges. Since these lodges are made of windows, and the blinds (which are only on some windows) are sheer, it means that when it gets dark, the lights shine into the surrounding lodges and, in our case, right on the bed. The first night, I was exhausted and slept through it. The second night, I tossed and turned all night with the light right in my eyes. I finally went to the office and unscrewed a few light bulbs so I could try to get some sleep. The porch light from a nearby lodge was so bright shining into the spare room (with no window covering) that my son had to sleep in the loft.

I told the front desk when checking out, but she did not seem very interested. I am hoping this review will effect some change, as I would love to come back and tell friends about this amazing place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
emmaspencerliving, Manager at Volcano Village Lodge, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Aloha and thank you for taking time to write a review of our property. We appreciate your kind words about our property.

Please accept our apology regarding the lights. We do leave dimmed porch lights on around the reception area overnight for safety reasons. We encourage our guests to call us at any time, if there is a problem. Our Mauna Loa unit has extra privacy screens inside the bathroom closet that could have been used to block out any bothersome light, and we would have been happy to share that with you.

Our Innkeeping staff takes pride in addressing issues as they are brought to our attention, and we will be looking into a more permanent solution to this problem. While we are sad that the lights caused you discomfort, we are grateful that you brought it to our attention so that we can take the necessary steps to give our guests a good night’s sleep.

Mahalo
Short Hills, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at Volcano Village Lodge recently and had a peaceful visit. Volcano Village Lodge is absolutely beautiful! The Lodge is unique.

We stayed in one of the larger rooms and it was a nice size. The property is aaammmaazing. It isn't cheap, but it is affordable and comfortable. The Lodge is the place where you want to stay because it is the one people talk about.

Our bathroom was moderate, but it was clean with everything we need. I would say that it is like staying at an expensive nature retreat. There are big windows in the room, but it wasn't an issue since it was only the two of us and our suite was tucked away in the rainforest where few people venture. Also, our room had a gorgeous view of the beautiful plants and nature.

I loved the fact that they leave breakfast in the room every day, along with a bunch of snacks in case you're craving a snack at any hour of the day. The free wifi was a nice perk as it is a peeve of mine having to pay to get connected.

The location is so convenient to everything in the area. Good location for those who want to go to the park.

The staff that took care of us was very attentive and respectful. I was so pleased. Meghan is a hoot with a nice personality and was very helpful with places to go.. Kelsey welcomed us as if we were one of the family.

All in all I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
emmaspencerliving, Manager at Volcano Village Lodge, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Mahalo for sharing your experience. We like to think of all of our guests as members of our extended family, so we thank you for that note. If you come back to the Volcano area, be sure to let us know!
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

My husband says I'm a picky traveler. I think I like quality and I like it clean. I also like good service. I'm not the type to usually pick a B&B. What I don't like about my experiences with B&B's is what I do like about Volcano Village Lodge. I don't want to have breakfast with people I don't know. I don't want to stay in someone's home. I don't want to feel like I have no privacy.
Volcano Village Lodge was picked because my husband wanted to spend time at the Volcano. I would normally prefer a beach, but the time in Volcano was lovely.
Breakfast was in the room so no requirements to socialize with people I didn't know. The rooms are set up like a lodge so there was a lot of privacy. The lodge was amazingly clean.
Kelsey checked us in when we arrived and treated us like family. That part I liked.
We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
emmaspencerliving, Manager at Volcano Village Lodge, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Mahalo for your kind words. We understand your thoughts on staying at a traditional bed and breakfast and believe that many of our guests feel the same way. At Volcano Village Lodge, we strive to make ourselves a unique lodging facility that provides our guests with all of the comforts of home while providing a private and romantic rainforest getaway. It is our goal to make sure all of our guests feel like family when they walk through our door.

Thank you again for your positive feedback. We hope you will visit us again in the future!
Lechlade, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We have been fortunate to travel to some great places, sometimes accommodation not quite as described.
This is not the case here, volcano village lodge is about as idyllic as you will get, especially at the price.
Rooms are scattered about in a beautiful rain forest setting, they are nicely decorated and very peaceful. We were here three days and did not hear anybody at all. Staff went out of the way to help and the provided breakfast was excellent.
If you are visiting volcano national park just treat yourself and stay here, you will not regret it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
KayLeeVVL, Manager at Volcano Village Lodge, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Thank you very much for writing a review about your stay. Our staff was delighted with your kind comments.

Our staff works very hard to please and we are always happy to hear from satisfied guests.

Again, thank you for sharing your experiences. We look forward to welcoming you back at Volcano Village Lodge in the near future.
winnipeg manitoba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Our third stay at the inn Can't wait to get back ? The inn keepers do a great job There if you need them otherwise they are hardly seen yet everything gets done Have stayed in 3 different cabins all excellent with each offering a subtly different experience. If you want to experience the rain forest in a peaceful luxurious setting this is the place. If your exploring the volcano or the Hilo side of the island spend a day or three at the inn you will not regret it. Words can not describe the Vvl it has to be experienced.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

as we tried to explain this place to our families when we got back from our vacation, we kept saying that it was "rustic, but reallyreally nice!" we chose VVL because it was so close to Volcano National Park. we were so glad that we did! we stayed in Hale Manaluna, the one that's attached to the main lodge.....it was clean and thoughtfully supplied (even towel warmers) and we got the BEST sleep of our entire vacation there. it was so quiet and dark, since you really are in the rainforest. we felt so secluded and cozy. each morning when we were headed out the door for the day, we could hear the staff come in to their office, but as we were already awake and the noise was very minimal, we weren't bothered in the least. i would compare it to the incidental sounds you might here at a hotel....and again, that's only during office hours. other than that, it's SILENT. and a big thanks for their gracious (and tasty!)accommodation of my dairy allergy. look forward to tasty breakfasts and make sure you visit the national park after dark to view the lava flow from Jaggar Museum....one of the most memorable moments of the entire trip! thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Volcano Village Lodge? Share your experiences!