“Rain forest paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 32 Volcano B&B and Inns
Reno, Nevada
“Rain forest paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I found this B&B through Trip Advisor and chose it because of the high ratings given it by other travelers. They were right! Let me say at the outset that of all the reviews I have written I have rarely awarded an "excellent" rating. I tend to be picky about accommodations and service. That said, this B&B warrants the high rating for both the room/cabin/bungalow and the service. We stayed here for two nights as part of a two-week visit to the Big Island (we have a time-share in Waikoloa).

You can read the basic property descriptions in other reviews so let me just say that they are accurate and move on. We stayed in the largest cabin, Mauna Loa, and it was very comfortable. This cabin has two bedrooms and a loft so was larger than we needed but it was all that was available in our time frame. We enjoyed all the glass and did not find it disconcerting as some others did. We enjoyed the feeling of being IN the rain forest, and were able to use the shades to accommodate the occasional need for additional privacy. The cabins are situated such that we never saw any other guests so did not feel the need to lower the shades except at night to block the somewhat annoying spotlights that were on all night on adjacent cabins.

The breakfast food was good and we loved being able to heat it up when WE were ready to eat. The selection of teas and snacks was impressive, though we didn't try any (too many carbs and sugar). Bathroom amenities were very nice but the best was the heated towel warmer! We were chilled to the bone after watching the Halema'uma'u Crater display at the Jaggar Museum and Volcano Observatory (do NOT miss this!), so a hot shower and hot towel were very much appreciated! We both have minor back problems so sleeping in a "strange" bed can be a challenge, but this bed was very comfortable and we both slept like babies. Of course, the soft rain on the roof helped. The warm robes an slippers were also much appreciated.

The staff were very accommodating, as others have said, and gave us their cell numbers in case we needed anything after or before hours. When we returned from the VNP the first full day here, the room had of course been serviced. However, and this is my sole quibble, the wine glass we had used in the bathroom (because the wine glasses are the ONLY ones provided) was still there and dirty; it was not replaced as the other wine glass, left on the counter with the breakfast plates, had been. I found this odd for a place of otherwise stellar quality. Had we gotten back to the cabin earlier and realized there was only one clean wine glass we would have called one of the numbers provided, but I was simply not comfortable calling late for something so minor. There needs to be a cup of some sort provided for the bath. Period.

We come to the VNP every time we are on the Big Island and will return to this lovely B&B. Mahalo!

Room Tip: The Mauna Loa is the largest cabin (and therefore the most expensive) and very comfortable for two...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Tucked amidst the rain forest, this small, quaint bed and breakfast has a total of five rooms and is approximately 1.5 miles or 2.4 kilometers from the Volcano National Park. It is quiet and the first time arriving we were not sure if we were in the right spot.

The B & B has a small common area that serves as a reception that has books, DVD's and other items. Each room has a TV, DVD and nice bathroom and large closet that holds a mini-refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. The staff places the breakfast in the refrigerator that is stocked with waters, juices and snacks. The breakfasts were either quiche with fresh fruit and cereal. The other breakfast was french toast made with Hawaiian bread and syrup along with fresh fruit and juices. On the night table is a snack basket that had health bars and fruit.

Given the travels, we did not see the staff much; however, they were cordial on our check in and departure and made it very clear if we needed anything to call them. They even provided their personal cells numbers.

It may be more than what people may want to spend; however, considering the ambiance, the amenities included along with the breakfasts, snacks, water and juices, it was worth stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Hale Manaluna room, which turned out to be great as it was a bit away from the othe...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

If you are looking for a place to stay near Volcano National Park, this is probably your best bet. It is a close drive to the park and is very clean and very secluded. The larger cabins are more expensive, but if you need some space, select one of those. The smallest cabin is VERY small. Not much room to move around or store your stuff. We found the breakfast and provided snacks to be skimpier than others have described. I'm wondering if perhaps some of the amenities have been scaled back a bit in the past few months. Also noticed that the rooms prices have increased since we booked earlier in 2012. We were told there was a 2 night reservation minimum, but I think that has been eliminated as well. If you plan your trip to Volcano NP well, one night is probably adequate for most.
It rained and was quite cool almost the entire time that we were here in early December which increased the feeling of remoteness.
This place offers solitude, quiet and remoteness. There are few standard resort amenities. TV service is not available but the main cabin offers a selection of DVDs and books. Wireless internet service is good. Cell service can be spotty. The friendly staff leaves at the end of the day but does provide a telephone to contact one of them if you should have an emergency need.

Room Tip: If space is important, choose one of the larger cabins.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
KayLeeVVL, Manager at Volcano Village Lodge, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Aloha and thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our selection of DVDs, books, and our complimentary WIFI. Our amenities are continually improving and growing in quality.

Our rooms range in size to accommodate both couples and families and we take pride in the variety. We do have a 2 night minimum to stay at our property, however, we will make an exception when only a single night is available. We recommend having at least one full day to see the Volcanoes National Park as traveling to and from the Volcano area does take some time. Avid hikers usually spend 2-3 full days inside the park.

While our food selection is varied and typically enough for our average guest, we encourage our guests to bring these things to our attention while they are staying with us. We are happy to provide more (or less) of breakfast items depending on your needs. Also, we are happy to accommodate special needs like food allergies, vegetarian/vegan, gluten-free, etc. Our Innkeepers strive to exceed our guests needs and expectations during their time at Volcano Village Lodge.
Kaneohe, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

The island of Hawaii offers more variety and options than an of our islands here in this state. While I live on Oahu, a trip to Volcano is like a trip a million miles from civilization. My time at Volcano Village Lodge was a special time worth the drive from the Kona side.
I flew into Kona because of buiness in Kona and then spent the weekend at this incredible rainforest B&B.
My favorite parts of Volcano Village Lodge include the separate room built with amazing woods and sophistication. I enjoyed the bathrobes, comfortable bed, comfortable feel, attention to detail, and a nice, simple breakfast that was left in the room the night before.
The owners have saved those of us who like unique properties from having to gather with people we don't know in the morning for breakfast. The food is waiting in the refrigerator and ready when you are and not when the staff is ready. I would stay in more B&B's if I didn't feel like I was at grandma's house waiting for the breakfast bell.
I have a bad perception of B&B's and was worried when I ended up booking Volcano Village Lodge. It turned out to be more of a LODGE and not a B&B which pleased me to no end.
I have put this place on my must return list.
Next time, I'm going to request more fresh fruit in the morning as it was delicious.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Rarely do I write such a raving review but I truly believe this small property is simply WOW. I stayed here for one night in October and I am already wanting to return. The developers of this lodge paid attention to every small detail, from the location of the lodge to the wood used to contruct the property all the way to the little snacks I got in my basket. Every little detail is so carefully thoughtout that it left me speechless.

We arrived here in the afternoon after exploring Volcano National Park and met the innkeeper in the main building who checked us in. The main building houses a good collection of books and a few hundred dvds (no cable out here but they do have wifi). We were then led to our quarters, a quaint standalone octagon shaped cabin. Inside, the main focal point is the bed but there is a large armchair, a little fireplace, a tv and the "mobile kitchen" as I'd call it with a mini-fridge, toaster oven and microwave. The minifridge was stocked with quiche, water, juice, milk and fruit. There was also a large basket containing cocoa, cereals, granola bars and popcorn. And of course there is coffee and an assortment of tea. With all those staples, you wouldn't need to leave but if you are staying multiple days, good idea to stock up some food too. Bathroom even had a towel warmer and the room had robes and slippers. It felt like luxury right at home. The area does cool down fast at night and the floors do get cold hence the slippers, cocoa and fireplace. Flashlights are also available for night use.

Room Tip: I think each unit is unique and are all awesome!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kearney, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

My husband and I are frequent travelers and we don't think we've ever experienced anything so wonderful and unique as our stay at the Volcano Village Lodge.
Staying here my be an excellent prescription for stress as the place is calming and peaceful unlike any place where we've stayed.
We chose Volcano Village Lodge because it's close to the world famous Volcano Nat'l Park, and it looked nice on the website. We were impressed with the reviews on TA.
The surprise is how beutiful and calming this lodge is in person. This place is even nicer than the web sight indicates. The photos and the reviews don't do it justice.
This place would make the most perfect retreat. The nice paths, the amazing gardens, the secluded individual cottages, the privacy in general, the amazing aroma of coffee in the morning in the cottage, and how warm and welcoming the staff is are some of the things that make this lodge special.
This retreat is a labor of love as can be seen in each and every detail from the food in the room to the bathrobes.
We wish we had stayed longer.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This is by far one of the nicest places I have ever layed my hat. We stayed at the Kilauea room. The floor to ceiling view from our bed made us feel like we were in the middle of the rainforest. Oh that's right we were. The delicious breakfast showed up in our fridge every night. There was a toaster, microwave, coffee maker in the alcove next to the bathroom. The room was a little small but just right for a couple. We stayed two nights and never saw a soul, granted we were out exploring during the day. The grounds were very serene. Try to get there before the sun goes down for it is extremely dark and the final left before arrival comes on suddenly. Great stay!

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Volcano Village Lodge? Share your experiences!