“olapa 3” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Volcano Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Volcano
Volcano Guest House
11-3733 Ala Ohia Street, Volcano, Island of Hawaii, HI 96785   |
Fairbanks, Alaska
“olapa 3”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed in the large room in Alan and Bonnie's Olapa house. I stayed there for five days and was extremely comfortable and quiet. I enjoyed the large bedroom along with a great bath. The main house had a great kitchen in which I was able to use at my leisure. I will definitely be back as I love Volcano Hawaii!!

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Lacey, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We were able to get a last-minute reservation for four people on November 15. The unit cost over $200 because of the extra fee for a one night stay and taxes. Our stay was brief and so we didn't have much time to use the hot tub or look at the very nice grounds.

We stayed in Twin 2. Our unit had a sort of separate bedroom with a curtain between the bedroom and the living room. The bedroom had a queen bed and there were two twin beds in the living room There was a small kitchen and a flatscreen TV.

The owners emphasize their green amenities. There is no central heat. There is a space heater in the bathroom and a space heater for the other part of the unit. Also provided were electric bed warmers if the heaters were inadequate to keep us warm. You had to turn on the hot water heater a half an hour before you wanted to have a shower. Everything worked . The unit was clean and the beds were comfortable.

The breakfast was pretty basic. The breakfast room had no heat and there were no owners present to make additional coffee, fetch additional hard boiled eggs etc. People helped themselves to as much as they liked provided what you liked was still available. It was much like eating at a Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Covina, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Booked two nights here pretty much "sight unseen". When checking in and seeing our room, it was undeniably the perfect choice of places to stay in Volcano. Joan was an awesome host - made us feel like long-time friends. Rooms were clean and secure. Would recommend anyone stay here. If I had it to do over, I would have made the trip to Volcano on our arrival instead of spending the night in Hilo.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
cascadia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Meeting Hawaiian and Australian friends in Volcano, Hawaii, to pay homage to Pele on the Day of the Dead was a magical experience, seeing the fireball and weather-making clouds of vapor, hearing the gas explosions at Kiluea Crater, dancing hula and chanting inside Kiluea Iki. Having the privilege of staying at Volcano Guest House amplified the experience. The beautiful, quiet houses are smartly designed and fully equipped, with thoughtful details like good reading lights and comfortable beds, and some of the most gorgeous bathroom tilework I have ever seen. The gardens are carefully tended, breakfast room is lovely, library is a major plus. Owner is kind and accommodating.

I will definitely be back at Volcano Guest House my next visit to Hawaii.

Room Tip: Everything's good.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Extremely comfortable accomodation, very helpful but unobtrusive management. Breakfast room open throughout the day. Snacks available all the time. Umbrellas, flashlights available for use. Just a very, very pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Whitehorse, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

A wonderful place. The hosts were kind and knowledgeable, letting our kids feed the ducks and look at the cows. We would have liked to spend some more time there, instead of the quick sleep and run we had time for. The hot tub took a bit of figuring out, and we never did get one set of jets working. Dunno if they were broken or just didn't use the controls right (no labels, just buttons, with multiple functions.). I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
St. James, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed at this nice place because we were visiting the Volcano National Park. We were so please with the owners hospitality. We didn't realize that it would be a little bit chilly in the rain forest at night and we came unprepared for it. The owner offered us jackets to borrow without us even asking. That was so nice because it was pretty cold for a September evening. We went out to eat at a restaurant that was on the list that the owners recommend. They had everything you needed and more in the cottages, even a flash light so we could go to the hot tub. The beds were very comfortable and even though I usually don't sleep well in strange places, I slept very sound. The nice heated mattress cover helped a lot! In morning they had a very nice breakfast with fruit, bagels, much, much more. After breakfast I wondered though the beautiful garden of exotic flowers that was amazing! Breathtaking! So well kept!
I highly recommend these cottages to anyone, it's not the Hilton, but I would rather stay there then any 5 star resort any day!

Room Tip: Ooops! I marked swimming pool but I don't think they have one. But the hot tub was excellent.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Volcano Guest House? Share your experiences!