“Quirky setting, okay food, interesting experience” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 12 Restaurants in Volcano
Cuisines: Vegetarian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Scenic view, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Dessert
Description: Café Ono is a vibrant, ecologically sound, dining experience in an old Hawaiian garden estate. We feature: •Hearty soups•Fresh organic salads•Savory sandwiches•High tea•Gourmet desserts•Locally grown coffee & teaCatering is available. We can also host your meetings and special events.Come by for a delicious meal or pick up a picnic lunch to go!Lunch 11:00 am–3:00 pmCoffee · Tea · Desserts 10:00 am–4:00 pm
Suwanee, Georgia
“Quirky setting, okay food, interesting experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We ate at Cafe Ono after our visit to Volcano National Park. There are few options in Volcano so we didn't know what to expect, but were intrigued by the other reviews and the promise of the artistic setting. That part was lovely - outdoor seating (make sure you check out the pet goat), really cute inside with nice art/jewelry to browse, but was a little put off by the rest of the experience.

While we were warmly greeted by the owner, it sort of went downhill from there.

The place was very busy so it took a long time to order and get our food. Once we got it, my husband's chili was very bland - just sausage, rice and beans it seemed but little taste. I had the quiche but it wasn't heated all the way through.

Also, the staff was clearly frazzled, and I overhead the owner tell what looked to me like a craft dealer to go and run for ice since they ran out. When he questioned if someone else was available the owner said loudly, "We're all doing 100 things, don't argue just do it." Then, another customer complained that they hadn't received their meal when the rest of their party had after also waiting awhile. Dina, the girl taking orders, went through all the tabs over and over again and realized she must have given the wrong order to someone else. As she was going out the door to check with that other customer she said, "I hope they haven't finished eating what I gave them." What was she going to do, take it back? She went on and on with another coworker about who she gave what to and wouldn't just leave it alone and move on to correct the order. Finally, when that craft dealer came back he complained to Dina loudly that the owner doesn't follow his own rules and gets mad when anyone makes mistakes. All that's fine, but you don't do any of that in front of customers. My husband and I were really surprised. I won't give it a Poor rating because this could have been situational, but they might want to have a staff meeting to discuss proper complaining. Might also want to consider more staff for peak times.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Plainsboro, New Jersey
“Relaxing and Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011 via mobile

The garden is tranquil and lush. Vegetarian entrees - you don't miss the meat. Ernest the goat is friendly and entertaining :-)

Reedsport, Oregon
“Great even if I can't read”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

We stopped by after checking out VNP. We got there after she was closed but she was willing to make us anything we wanted. We just got one of her macaroons and the wife and son got some of the delicious chocolate ice cream she had just made and a brownie. Can't comment on her entree's but the goodies there were really good and she was so nice even when I didn't pay attention to the "hours" sign.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bangor, Maine
“Hidden Hawaiian Treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

I read the nice reviews of this restaurant online and was anxious to give it a try. My husband isn't much for vegetarian food, but he even enjoyed this restaurant.

The soup was tasty and the salad was good. We visited the restaurant on a nice day and got to sit outside. It was peaceful and a great escape from the ordinary.

I thought it was the best lunch we had on the Big Island. A tip: make sure you sit out side. Also, buy some of the local art in the store that is connected to the store. I was most impressed with the shadow boxes that are unique and ecclectic

• Visited March 2011
San Francisco, California
“Enchanting Secret Oasis”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

We enjoyed lunch at this enchanting garden restaurant with my daughter and parents. The all-vegetarian food was delicious and beautifully presented. (I especially loved the fresh pea soup -- quite welcome on a cool drizzly day!) The people were warm and friendly. We enjoyed perusing the gallery while waiting for our meal. There is seating in the garden or inside and a goat (on a leash) to entertain my daughter. This place felt like a secret oasis just outside Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.