“Welcoming and comfortable getaway in the rainforest” 5 of 5 stars
Review of My Island Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Volcano
My Island Bed and Breakfast
You added My Island Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
PO Box 100, Volcano, Island of Hawaii, HI 96785   |
Ranked #10 of 30 Volcano B&B and Inns
California
“Welcoming and comfortable getaway in the rainforest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2007

We stayed at My Island B&B for four nights as we toured nearby Volcanoes National Park and not-quite-as-nearby Puna and Hilo. Our room was clean, comfortable, and inviting. The innkeepers were friendly, full of stories about the islands, and knowledgeable enough to anticipate all of our needs-- including extra flashlights for a hike out on the lava flows at night, maps and tour guides for local drives and hikes, a guest refrigerator for perishables, a dehumidifier to take the damp out of the rainforest air, and, of course, plenty of extra papayas, pineapples, limes, and macadamia nuts for breakfast. The main house is set in the midst of a beautiful rainforest, and guests can even go on a little "Rainforest Walk" around the grounds to see some of the native Hawaiian flora. The inn was a good value, especially compared with some of the other, higher-priced options in the area, and we'd definitely go back.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Oak Park, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2007

My Island Inn is a treasure. The inn keepers made having a great experience on the big island their focus. They had wonderful maps and guides to must see parts of the island.

Not only was the breakfast wonderful, but the stories around the table were entertaining and informative.

The room we stayed in was clean and comfortable. My Island Inn does not raise prices for "prime season."

I have been able to spend a lot of time in Hawaii, and I have never felt the spirit of Aloha like I felt at My Island Inn.

• Liked — The dedication to each guest that they have a good experience on the big island.
  • Disliked — NA
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2006

My husband and I stayed here for three days during our honeymoon in February 2006. We stayed in the Cymbidium House, which was just a short drive from the main B&B. It was much more room than we needed (it had a couple of bedrooms and bathrooms) but we liked it for the privacy. The breakfast was really good, much better than the standard b&b fare, though the owners were a little too mindful about cleaning off our plates after finishing each item - sometimes hovering behind us! Each morning we started off talking with the owners about hikes we could take and places we should look into, and it was great to have guidance from such knowledgable folks. A couple of drawbacks to the property include the woodburning stove in the Cymbidium House as the only heatsource - it gets cold at night, and the stove is out in the living room with a limited supply of wood each day - and the many persnicketty notes throughout the house reminding us to not use washclothes to remove makeup, etc.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2006

My husband and I stayed here for one night. It was a wonderful experience. Even though we checked in late, "Captain" Morse was very helpful in providing us with maps of the area and also a lot of advice that was very useful. The breakfast was great and a lot of items were home-made. We stayed in the "red" room and loved it. We promised ourselves that if we went back again, this would be the place to stay in.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2006

We stayed here for one night, 8/18/2006. Absolutely loved it ! We found the property at the last minute when we decided to spend one nite at the Volcano park to watch the lava flow at nite. It's my first time to stay at a B&B and did not know what to expect. This place was warm & welcoming and Gordon was absolutely charming. They were overbooked and had to put us in the Golf Course House - absolutely charming ! Breakfast was awesome, I had papaya with macademia nuts & pineapple with a twist of lemon .. real interesting. I asked Gordon why it's always raining here and he said this is not rain, the house is sitting in the clouds and it's misty all the times .. if it really rains, you have to wear snorkels !!!!
Definitely will come back to this place !
Van &Bobby !!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Beautiful garden, hospitality of owner
  • Disliked — nothing ..
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Berkeley, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2006

We stayed in the family attic room for 3 nights. There was one queen sized bed and 3 twins in a large 3rd floor attic. We had to share the shower on the 2nd floor with guests in one other room. Had our own toilet and sink. This worked well for us and seemed a good value at $100, including breakfast for the four of us. Lovely spot and gardens, and as others have mentioned the Morse family is a great resource on the island and volcano. My kids appreciated the books that they could help themselves to. Obviously, staying in the actual farmhouse means you share the space with both the family and other guests and lose some of your privacy. But that was o.k. with us; might not work for everyone. Furnishing are simple as befits a country farmhouse. Very clean and comfortable. Good breakfast - loved those papayas with lime and mac. nuts!

• Stayed June 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2006

We spent two nights in the Forest House a few blocks from the main house of My Island B&B. It was an immaculate 2 BR house nestled among the ohia ferns in a rainforest setting - not another house within sight. We could really spread out and get comfortable. Large windows slid open in every room providing cool breezes and cheerful birdsong. One night we fell asleep to the sounds of a gentle rain on the ohia leaves. It served as an excellent base for touring Volcano National Park. Mr. Gordon Morse, charming author and proprietor, was a cheerful and informative host. Breakfast was plentiful and provided an excellent chance to interact with other sojourners. A very nice kitchen and utility room provided the comforts of home. I would definitely stay here again!

Been to My Island Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!