“Swiss Family Robinson Reunion Huge Success” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Guest Cottages at Volcano Tree House

You added Guest Cottages at Volcano Tree House to your Saves list
Guest Cottages at Volcano Tree House
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   11-3860 Eleventh Street, Volcano, Island of Hawaii, HI 96785   |
Ranked #13 of 30 Volcano B&B and Inns
santa rosa
“Swiss Family Robinson Reunion Huge Success”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

Our family reunion was a huge success, with kudos going to Suzy and Gary for making it the perfect family gathering. Last year I had a fantastic stay at Bamboo Orchid Cottage Wild Ginger Suite in late September and discussed the possibility with Suzy of a family reunion. Suzy showed me Volcano Tree House and it was love at first site. It took me back to when I was much younger and saw Walt Disney’s Swiss Family Robinson movie…”Let the adventures begin”…I remembered thinking to myself. Well this early August it became a reality.

Everything was perfect: We rented Tree Top, Pacific Island and Cedar Cottage. My husband and I stayed in Pacific Island with full a kitchen. What a great venue on the second level. Gary called the common area on the second story …”The Man Pit” I didn’t under stand the term, at first. Wow! We couldn’t have picked a better spot. With a Stainless Steel 4 burner gas grill, gas fire pit and gas heaters for the cooler evenings, this is where all are men gathered. It was a few feet from our Pacific Island kitchen and most our diners we enjoyed outside. An amazing attention to detail: cloth napkins, china dinnerware, all the necessary cooking supplies. What really surprised us ….no bugs. I guess being around 4000 ft. elevation helped and the weather was the best!!!

Gary had a great breakfast at Bamboo Orchid Cottage every morning around 8 a.m., which we walked the little trail at the back of Volcano Tree House to Bamboo Cottage. The Yellow Ginger was in bloom and so fragrant…like a good dream…well like Swiss Family Robinsons adventures in any event. Thank you and Mahalo Suzy for the “Perfect Family Reunion” We will all hold this in our memories and hearts as the best trip ever.

The guys loved golf close by and the "Man Pit"...the wives loved the "Man Pit" too

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Washington, D.C.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

My husband and I were completely shocked by our experience at the Volcano Tree House. We arrived at about 5:30 in the afternoon/evening -- well after check-in time. We stopped at the sister property -- Bamboo Orchid -- which seemed fine, to check in. We were directed to the Volcano Tree House, which is about a block away and in a very wooded area. As we ascended the steps to the Pacific Island Studio, I noticed that the deck boards needed a good power-washing -- the red boards had a green hue to them. When we made it to the room, I instantly thought that the place looked dirty. In the upper corner to my left, I noticed cobwebs with black spiders in them. When I went into the bathroom to wash my hands, I was greeted by a half-inch long spider, which I promptly washed down the drain. I also glimpsed the toilet seat, which looked as if it was old and worn. As my husband went downstairs to retrieve our bags, I noticed other problems with the room. The screens over the windows did not meet up with the edges of the windows (in other words, bugs could get in). The little gas fireplace had a sign on it indicating that it was out of order, and that the parts were on order (I saw the same sign on the hot tub at the Bamboo Orchid). By the time my husband made it back upstairs, I had resigned myself to staying for three miserable nights in a bug-infested, dirty room. But, it got much worse. I decided to take a nap to improve my outlook. When I pulled the sheets back on the bed, I saw some baby spiders in the bed. At this point, I finally complained a little to my husband, making a special reference to the toilet seat. He decided to check it out. Guess what? The toilet seat (which I had not closely examined) was not old -- it was coated with a green, fluffy growth of mold. My husband wisely decided to wash his hands in the kitchen instead of the bathroom, which is when he discovered that the cutting board was also covered in mold. At that point, we decided to leave and demand a full refund. The place was a filthy petri dish!

To be fair, the folks at the Bamboo Orchid/Volcano Tree House did promptly issue us a full refund. Apparently, the Volcano Tree House's caretaker had quit without notice or telling anyone. Gary, who manages the property in some capacity, apologized profusely about the state of the room (apparently, he had gotten no farther in cleaning the room by 5:30 in the evening than to scrub out the refrigerator -- which was also likely a mold-infested petri dish). We were offered an upgrade to the Cedar Cottage, which honestly looked fine, but at that point, we did not trust anything about the property.

Thankfully, the Kilauea Lodge up the road had rooms available. It was more expensive, but came with a delicious breakfast, a beautiful room with a functioning fireplace, and, most importantly, no mold. Skip the Volcano Tree House and go to the Kilauea Lodge -- you won't regret it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

We stayed in the Cedar Cottage at Volcano Tree House for three nights in mid-July and absolutely loved everything about it! We had been in Oahu for almost a week and arrived on a cool, rainy evening (typical for Volcano Village) very weary of the hustle and bustle of Honolulu. Gary was there to greet us at the sister property, Bamboo Orchid Cottage. He took us over to the Cedar Cottage and they had everything ready and waiting for us. There was a fire going, the downstairs sofa had been made into a cozy bed for our 13-year old daughter, and upstairs the master bed was "pre-warmed" with the heated mattress pad. Gary even came back over when we were having trouble with the wireless internet and made sure it was working for us.

The 2-story unit was perfect for the three of us. My husband and I had the upstairs loft bedroom and our daughter LOVED the fireplace by her bed. (A self-contained, gas unit that was safe to leave on for her.) We had everything we needed, including a full kitchen - plus umbrellas and flashlights to use as needed. We took the flashlights the night we headed out for our evening lava viewing. The unit also has a wonderful upstairs covered porch and access to a fire pit and grill. It rained in the evenings and we loved hearing the rain drip off the trees onto the roof. It was SOOOO quiet.

Gary is "da bomb!" He was the perfect inn keeper and host. Two out of the three mornings, we had to have an early breakfast due to a helicopter tour and our flight to Maui. Gary was there an hour early and had everything ready for us...even his "world famous tarrow waffles with coconut syrup." He gave us great advise on things to do, places to go and see, and restaurants to eat at. Plus, he is just a lovely gentleman with great stories - and a corny joke or two. We truly enjoyed his company and welcomed his assistance.

If you are looking for a place to "get away" from it all, stay in Volcano Village. You will feel a million miles away from everything...yet only about 2 miles from the park. It was perfect for our group and we'd go back in a heartbeat. (Our daughter wanted to stay and help run the place!) Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

My wife and I stayed in the top floor of the main building, and our 85 year-old traveling companion stayed on the second floor. We were on a business/leisure trip, ending our stay here. We'd made reservations at the the Bamboo Orchid, but were bumped due to an overbooking. Gary manages both and he's terrific, including a wonderful breakfast at the Bamboo Orchid. The setting of the Tree House is truly unique and magnificent, the beds are really comfortable, and overall I'd have to recommend the Tree House. But, it had a couple small oddities and you should be aware: There are no dressers, so you'll need to live out of your suitcases. The ceiling fan in the top floor room has been broken "for some time" we were told. There are no bedside lamps on the second floor, so you'll need to read at the table. The water pressure in the top floor shower managed little more than a strong trickle. Little things, but fixable - and should be. Overall, it's a beautiful place to stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

We had an absolutely amazing stay at the Cedar Tree House. Our room turned out to be a 2 story house with full kitchen, fireplace, jacuzzi and patio. Everything was very clean and tidy. What stands out the most was the fantastic breakfast provided by Gary the Innkeeper - delicious coffee, waffles, and the best fruit salad-in-a-papaya with yogurt and granola! Gary was so friendly and made us feel at home. I would highly recommend this B&B to anyone staying on the Big Island.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2009

We had a wonderful stay at the Volcano Tree House! The room was well maintained and you wake up with the birds, trees as well as sun shining through the many large windows. The highlight was definitely Gary's breakfasts and morning chats. Gary is super smart, helpful and nice. We got great tips on what to do in the area and on the Big Island which made our vacation truly special.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

the volcano tree house is a beautiful forest retreat near volcano national park. We were fortunate to have breakfast at the bamboo orchard cottage. Note that if both bamboo orchard cottage and the volcano tree house are nearly fully occupied you may not have breakfast at the cottage. David and Paula were such wonderful hosts for breakfast I would probably choose the cottage next time. However both would be wonderful choices.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Guest Cottages at Volcano Tree House? Share your experiences!