“Disappointing Experience in Paradise” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Coconut Cottage Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pahoa
Coconut Cottage Bed & Breakfast
13-1139 Leilani Avenue, Pahoa, Island of Hawaii, HI 96778   |
Ranked #4 of 17 Pahoa B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“Disappointing Experience in Paradise”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

This appears to be a lovely property in a great location, but we were extremely disappointed in our experience. It began positively in mid-December, as they accommodated our request for a one-night reservation for the night of January 6, 2013. We gladly paid a one-night deposit of $100 and understood that IT would be forfeited if we canceled for any reason. The written confirmation we received stated this. On January 5, I realized that a persistent problem with my hip and leg were not going to permit me to visit the property, so I called to let them know. When the answering machine picked up, I left a message letting them know that we would not be there and that we understood we would forfeit our DEPOSIT, as per their policy. When I received our credit card statement, I was surprised to see an ADDITIONAL CHARGE of $92 for the night of January 6. I read and re-read my confirmation from the property, which said nothing about an additional charge being assessed, so I tried several times and sent several follow up emails seeking clarification and asking whether the additional $92 should have been charged/can be refunded. Almost five months later, the silence has been deafening and very disappointing. We are always prepared to play by the rules as communicated up front and had no problem forfeiting our $100 deposit, as agreed. I fully understand special circumstances for smaller properties or concerns related to holiday periods. (They are certainly free to adopt and publish policies addressing such issues. By the way, our stay was outside their specified holiday period, which ended on January 5.) My concerns and disappointment are based on two specific issues: 1) our confirmation did not say the property would levy any ADDITIONAL cost if we did not keep our reservation; and 2) we haven't received the courtesy of an explanation for this extra charge, despite my inquiries. When we made the reservation, we knew there was a chance that we might not be able to keep it, due to my impaired ability to walk. However, I relied up the property's written policy in making our decisions. The actual additional $92 charge is not the issue, so much as the fact that we were surprised by it and did not receive a response to my repeated inquiries. The proprietor who spoke with me in making our arrangements seemed like a very nice gentleman, so I am hoping this was just an oversight or a mistake. This experience was disappointing, however, and we will keep it in mind as we consider returning to the area in the future.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
coconutcottage, Owner at Coconut Cottage Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Aloha guest!
Doug and I took over managing the Coconut Cottage on Christmas day 2012. We hope to see you visit the Cottage in the future when your hip is healed or better. Like any other B&B or hotel, we do have a policy in place. We sent it to you when booking your stay and then again when you made your cancellation. Many Aloha's to you and we hope you feel better soon.

346 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Augusta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed for one night as we were doing 2 days of hiking in VNP. We called late at night, and Doug had 1 room left. We stayed in the Bali suite. Great accomidations! We were out early for an excursion (5am) only to come back to breakfast ready to go. It was wonderful...some of the best food on the island as far as Im concerned. We happened upon this place, but would seek it out on another trip to the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha! Thank you for staying at The Coconut Cottage Bed and Breakfast. We too enjoyed your visit and hope in the future that you can stay more than one day! Thank you for the beautiful review as we truly strive to give our guests the gift of Aloha while staying here from the fresh delicious food Doug our chef prepares to room accomodations and suggestions on excursions. We hope to see you soon!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

My stay at the Coconut Cottage was wonderful. Jaime and Doug are warm and thoughtful hosts.

When I arrived, Doug showed me to the Bali Spirit Suite and gave me an overview of the B&B as well as nearby activities. The suite is spacious and has its own entrance. I actually didn't hear any of the other guests while I was in my room.

In the mornings, breakfast started with platter of fresh fruits, coffee, tea and juice. From there we had omelettes, breads, potatoes and sausage. It was delicious and the best food I had on the island. I would seriously stay here again just for the breakfast.

The garden is beautiful, well maintained and very lush. There are lots of places to explore nearby from tide pools to lava!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
We truly enjoyed hosting you here at Coconut Cottage Bed and Breakfast and do hope you have a chance to visit again! You truly had the Aloha spirit which is what this experience is all about. Many aloha's to you from our Ohana to yours. Mahalo~ Jaime, Doug and family.
DARIEN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Traveling with another couple we stayed in 3 different rooms. The best thing about Coconut Cottage is the friendliness of the owners. They care about providing you a good experience. The current owners are relatively new (less than a year) and there are some things about the property that need updating (fluffier towels, spiffing up corners and edges, etc of rooms) but I'd stay there again. It was fun to talk about the area with the owners (restaurant recommendations, sightseeing ideas). The local fresh fruit every morning was delicious. Coffee was available before the actual breakfast for early risers. The hosts generously share tour books and maps.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
coconutcottage, Owner at Coconut Cottage Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Aloha Coconut Cottage Guest!

We wanted to take a moment and thank you for providing such beautiful Aloha spirit and giving us a glowing report. We took your response to heart and have replaced the linens and have replaced many of the towels so they are fluffier! Our guests are sleeping on 600 to 800 thread count. We hope you will come stay with us again!

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My friend and I had a few days off work and traveled from Kona to Pahoa. I am extremely pleased with our stay at Coconut Cottage. The Bali Room has a unique, inviting atmosphere and the coolest daybed right when you walk in. The hosts, Jamie and Doug, are great. They had helpful recommendations for things to do in the area, but we ended up just chatting with them for the night! They are very welcoming; not to mention the delicious breakfast Doug prepared in the morning. Breakfast is served on their cozy, enclosed lanai (balcony) and consisted of teas and coffee, plenty of fresh sliced fruit, a frittata, portuguese sausage, and a tasty homemade fruit bread. You will feel at home at this bed and breakfast. There are a lot of beautiful sights in the surrounding area, including some of the greatest drives in Hawaii. I can't wait to go back and stay with them.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Aloha Coconut Cottage Guests!

We truly enjoyed both of you and only hope that in the future you come stay with us again! After many requests, Doug is now conducting Lava Hikes in Kalapana per guest request and for only $150 per two people which saves our guests lots of dollars. Plus they get to come back and have Doug's beautiful breakfast. Guests are loving it and we hope you will join us sometime in the near future while your still on the Big Island. We once again want to send you many Aloha's.

Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed at this B&B for two nights to visit the Lave fields and enjoyed our stay very much. The room was very spacious , the garden was beautiful and the breakfast deliciously prepared with local flavors. The hosts were very friendly and helpful. We wish we could have stayed longer. We will do so during our next visit to the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dartington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed in the cottage which was not part of the main house and was very private.The location of Coconut Cottage makes it an ideal base for exploring the SE corner of Hawaii. You can drive up to Hilo, to the Puna coast and explore the tide pools and snorkel or visit Volcano National Park. We ended up increasing the amount of time we stayed here as it was so perfect. Pahoa was a nice sleepy town with a number of good restaurants and bars. There are also Pizza takeaways. Its great to take a pizza back to the cottage and eat it on the Lanai.

Breakfasts were a feast. Doug is a chef and so his breakfasts are first class. His banana bread is the best ever.

The cottage itself is finished to a very high standard: Lovely big bed and nice hot shower. Its sat in beautiful gardens and at night, the rain forest comes alive. Fantastic!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Coconut Cottage Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!