“Great Bed & Breakfast out in the nature” 5 of 5 stars

Plumeria Hill Bed & Breakfast
13-1264 Kamaili Road, Pahoa, Island of Hawaii, HI 96778   |
Ranked #8 of 17 Pahoa B&B and Inns
Stockholm, Sweden
“Great Bed & Breakfast out in the nature”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Me and my girlfriend really loved the place and don't regret that we booked it for 3 nights. As others have mentioned, the breakfast is awesome. Dennis who runs the place is also very friendly and helpful.

Note that the B&B is located out on the country side. You will probably not be able to use your cell phone, and you will most likely hear insects at night, and even find some in your room, that is however how life is on the country side.

What you do get in return is a wonderful sky at night. You'll probably see more stars than you ever have seen before. You will also have a great view of the ocean, and you are very close to some surf spots, a black sand beach, warm ponds, the closest side to the lava view and the roads around the are do really give some scenic views. You won't wake up in the middle of the night due to sirens or sounds from nightclubs or restaurants.

I will stay here again if I ever go back to Big Island.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Wohlen, Aargau, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I was at Plumeria Hill for 8 relaxing nights and every breakfast was different and excellent! You like fresh fruits? Go there! If you need information about what to do nearby, Dennis is full of information! Rooms are really setup with love. Dennis, thank you for your hospitality! It was a pleasure!

Room Tip: Both double rooms have seaview!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I can't help but feel slightly swindled after paying $180 to stay here for one night. For the same price I could have had four-star luxury elsewhere. Don't get me wrong: The place was quaint, and given some work it would be OK. But the shower had a lot of visible mold in it, and there was dust and dirt in obvious places. The outside had loose cables, uneven sidewalks, broken furniture, cobwebs, and other areas that would benefit from some attention.
The room had no air conditioning, but the ceiling fan and the open windows kept us cool. If you are averse to the sound of croaking coquí frogs, this is not the place for you.
Our host was very kind and attentive, and his breakfast was a delicious mix of fresh tropical fruits and a homemade fruit crepe.
But I still left there feeling I had paid way too much for what I got. There was a $15 fee per person for staying only one night, which was quite disappointing.
This was our first time in a bed and breakfast, so maybe I went in expecting hotel-style service; maybe you are supposed to put up with less cleanliness for the feeling of staying somewhere more home-like. It felt like I was staying at a friend's house but paying a lot of money to do so.
Overall, I would not stay here again. The owner meant well, but the price he is asking simply is not worth what he is selling.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Couldn't agree more with review by "Rocoloco". The proprietor may be working hard but I'm not sure on what. Maybe this is the norm for rural Hawaii but sweeping and dusting seem to be lost skills. We arrived for our one night stay in the Victorian Rose King Suite and within 15 minutes of our property & room tour my wife and I were saying to each other "You must be kidding me." The breakfast may be grand as other reviewers noted but we wouldn't know. We decided to abandon our reservation, forfeit our pre-paid charges and drive back to Kona (after dark, in the rain!) Definitely not our style of establishment. We're still shaking our heads.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Plumeria Hill is a B&B in disarray. It's overpriced, not expensive, but overpriced for what one gets. Details need attention: the blinds in our room didn't work; the potted plants on the breakfast lanai were in sad condition and unattractive (keep in mind this is Hawaii); the area surrounding the breakfast table needs, at minimum, a good sweeping.

We stayed in the Victorian Rose room. Disregarding it's out-of-context style (flannel sheets in Hawaii?), it is a veritable storeroom of dry goods and miscellany. I don't care one way or another about a Sleep Number bed but a king size mattress on a queen size bed is somewhat disconcerting especially if your side is the one with the overhang.

Breakfast - which other reviews exclaim about - was ordinary. It was well presented and there were lots of different fruit varieties but the coffee was weak (this is the island of Kona!) and served with heavy cream, the eggs were cold and the Pillsbury coffee cake was too sweet. I expect breakfasts at B&Bs to be especially tasty and unique.

The location is a plus for the Puna District, an area that has much to offer and is not well visited. Dennis, the owner and host, provides good tips on what to see. However, don't consider Pahoa to be easy access to Hilo. Hilo is a forty minute drive away. The view from Plumeria Hill is expansive but uninteresting.

Dennis is warm, cheerful and eager to please. His wife and co-owner, Susan, is gone much of the time so it's often a one-man operation but it's clear they are working hard to make a success of Plumeria Hill.

(I realize this review is out of sync with others here but, before you dismiss me as a crank you might want to read my many other reviews.)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Spent four nights here and I recommend! Dennis is a fantastic host, funny and a fabulous cook (his pancakes and jam are the best). The room was very comfortable, and the area very peaceful. Although a fair distance outside Hilo, it provided me a great base to explore the south-east corner of the Big Island of Hawaii. My tip, follow the map and directions provided by Dennis to the B&B, you definitely won’t get lost.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

A fine base station for adventures on the east side of the island. The location is very quiet and peaceful, and the Sleep Number bed gave us our best sleep in years! The Rose Victorian room is spacious and its windows and lanai - with a choice of sun or shade - look out over a forested slope down to a distant view of the ocean. We liked the privacy of a separate entrance, and made good use of the refrigerator, microwave, bathrobes, and good in-room internet access. Just about all the comforts and conveniences of home were there. Breakfast didn't quite meet our high hopes, partly because the normally-wonderful tropical fruit platter included a few unripe and rotten selections one day (taste before serving!), but probably mostly because my partner's food allergies threw Dennis off his usual great repertoire - he does get big points for being very careful not to serve any allergens, though. Now that we know what sort of things he cooks, we'll give him a specific wish list next time. And there likely will be a next time, especially since the "stay 6 days, get the 7th free" deal is cumulative!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Plumeria Hill Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!