“crowded and not that great!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 22 things to do in Pahoa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Pune, India
15 attraction reviews
“crowded and not that great!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

the thermal pool was far from warm and crowded and the park was crowded. It is frequented by school groups and tourist groups given how accessible it is and its just not something young couples like us wud really care for!

north peace canada
“Go here every year when on the Big Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

This is one of my favourite places to be in the whole world. The scenery is great. The ocean waves lapping over the breakwater into the naturally heated pond is a wonderful relaxing experience. I especially love it first thing in the morning (it opens at 7 am) when there are few people there and the sun is rising.
A comment in reference to one of the reviews I saw posted. Yes, there is a sign warning about bacteria in the water-it is warm standing water- but there is also a shower to use when you get out of the water. I wouldn't go into it with an open cut or sore but in the last 8 years of going there every summer, my family and I have never had any negative effects of soaking the day away in this wonderful place.

Pahoa, Hawaii
“take precautions”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I live near the ponds and go there only when we have visitors who have heard about it and want to give it a try. It is very crowded on afternoon summer days and small children are using it as a toilet. If you look at the bottom of the pond with a face mask or swim goggles, you will see what I mean. Very high nutrient.

If you want to do a favor for the beautiful spot, you could contact the Parks and Recreation organization for Hawaii County and lobby for a proper toilet/shower facility that will encourage parents to take their children there to use the bathroom. The current porta-potties are a nightmare, and if you use them, you will see why everyone avoids them. The "shower" is a cold water hose attached to a pipe, but I recommend you use it after swimming.

I only go there after the high tide of the day has swept out the pond. The higher the tide the better. In my experience, about every tenth time I go it is chilly. I have not discovered how to predict the temperature.

Visited March 2012
Clackamas, Oregon
3 attraction reviews
“Park is beautiful, tidepool is . . . Meh.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

This is a beautiful park, well-maintained grounds, great for a picnic at one of the tables. The locals call this place "rich man's pond." We were there on a Sunday. It was a bit crowded, but really nothing compared to other weekend spots. We arrived before noon and had no trouble parking. When we were leaving an hour later, however, we noticed people having trouble finding places to park.
The pool itself was murky and a bit too warm. While some reviews will say this is a very large man-made pool, I beg to differ. It's so warm and murky on the side next to the park that people tend to swim near the ocean-fed end where the water is fresh and clear. We ended up swimming only briefly before rinsing off at the shower (the showers are okay). There weren't many fish to see if you're looking for snorkeling.
The cool thing about this park is that it's like a local swimming pool- where local families picnic and grill (there are barbeque's available, so bring your charcoal!) and there's a staff of lifeguards to make it a safe place for family swimming.
My rating of "very good" is a compromise between the tidepool (average) and the park setting (excellent).

San Francisco, California
“Perfection.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I'd read reviews of other springs and really wanted to go. I rented a cottage nearby and was warned by the owners of sewage issues, but NOT at Ahalanui State Park. I had SUCH a great swim and snorkel. I saw so many fish (one little, brave guy that kept looking me in the eye). Great park, well maintained and comfortable. All ages, all sizes, all nationalities...all swimsuit styles (lol). Great day.

Visited September 2012