“Great if you love remote and deserted!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Yoga Oasis Retreat Center

Yoga Oasis Retreat Center
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pahoa
Yoga Oasis Retreat Center
Pohoiki Road, P.O. Box 1935, Pahoa, Island of Hawaii, HI 96778   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Pahoa
Washington DC
“Great if you love remote and deserted!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

We spent a week at Yoga Oasis at the beginning of August 2008. We were looking for a place to relax on the Big Island and get a bit of yoga in while sightseeing, etc. Yoga Oasis is in the jungle, the accomodations are nice, but it's very remote and while we followed their instructions to arrive during the day (booking a hotel in Hilo on our arrival so we wouldn't arrive in the dark), we still got incredibly lost on our first night trying to make our way back from dinner. There are no street lights (because of the observatory on the island) and the jungle is dense. The yoga was nice, but the owners of the place were away and the "staff" are actually guests who were there on a work exchange. They were fine, but it felt a bit odd. We were the ONLY guests the first night, and one other couple came the second night...There were a few others around for the yoga class in the morning, neighbors and local surfers who "worked" with Star and Haywarth...not exactly sure. Most common theme of discussion at brunch (which was, BTW, delicious) was "living off the grid" (solar, septic, etc.). So, if you are thinking of moving to Hawaii, want to live in the jungle and be "off the grid", this might be the place for you. If you are looking for a vacation in Hawaii, unless you like being completely by yourself at the resort with basically nothing to do in the evenings except drive in the dark for an hour to try and find something for dinner since you can't use their facilities for cooking, I wouldn't recommend it. If you want just a bit of interaction with other guests or assistance from staff and not working guests, I would go somewhere else. And, just to be fair, one more thing that left a bad feeling with me, was that we asked for a refund for our last night, because we had an early departure from Hilo. While Star recommends not arriving late in the day, there's no mention of the fact that if you have an early flight, you would have to wake up at 5 AM (still dark in the jungle) and have to get ready to go to the airport in the pitch dark (about an hours drive.) We opted to leave a night early and go back to Hilo, but the guest/manager who was there could not help us and Star and Hayward who are gone from the property for threee months, would not agree to refund our money. Happy to discuss more of this offline if anyone would like.

Namaste - Kim

• Liked — the daily yoga classes and breakfast
  • Disliked — it's remote location and the fact that there were really no other guests staying there
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

13 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Ann Arbor MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2008

My husband & I are recent empty nesters. We stayed at Yoga Oasis for 3 nights and loved every minute. The accommodations were lovely and the surroundings beautiful. We enjoyed the company of the chickens, feral pigs, and cats who roam the grounds. We hadn’t booked early enough to get one of the cabins with hot showers however we had a toilet and sink by our room and the showers in the main building were nearby and wonderful.

We felt very comfortable in the morning yoga classes even though we are novices and many of the students were quite advanced. Everyone on the staff and the other guests were friendly and welcoming. Mosquitoes were few due to the natural water traps used to keep the population down.

Yoga Oasis gave us an excellent guide of the area that they have developed for their guests. The directions were perfect--we had no trouble finding our way around and we enjoyed all the state parks and sights in the area. We had fun snorkeling and just strolling around exploring the area: tidal pools, black volcanic sand beaches, natural saunas (volcanic steam vents), lava fields, enjoying extraordinary coastal vistas.

Breakfast each morning was delicious with oranges grown right on the property, freshly baked bread or muffins, eggs from the chickens, lots of other fruits, yogurt, etc. The guide provided had great suggestions for lunch places and excellent nearby restaurants for dinner.

In short, we loved our get-away-from-it-all retreat, found the yoga inspiring, and emerged from the rainforest relaxed and renewed. We hope we can find a way back as soon as possible!

• Liked — the friendly staff and guests, being in a remote area
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2006

My husband and I stayed in the Pine Cabin for 3 days($145/night, see attached pictures). This place is really, really special. Go to the website,--- for more information. The food was incredible, the location is amazing and the Pine Cabin was so nice. Pahoa is a really interesting little town, lots of interesting characters. Ironically, my one criticism has to do with the yoga itself (classes in this beautiful, open air studio): I found it to be a little too clinically oriented at times (e.g., focusing too much on body organs and on "correct" breathing), rather than being particularly spiritual or challenging (I like flow/vinyasa classes). Nonetheless, I highly recommend this place and would love to stay there again.

• Stayed December 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2005

Yoga Oasis is a great place for vacation, honeymoon or healing. I stayed there for ten days and was part of the Yoga retreat. It was wonderful. I was suffering from a lot of pain and ever since I got to Yoga Oasis, I started feeling better. Lots of Yoga during the retreat. Hayward is a great Yoga teacher. When I left Yoga Oasis, my body felt so liight as if I was floating. I would give it ten stars. If you have any questions, send me an email.

• Stayed October 2002
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2004

An incredible vacation destination. If you are looking to get away from it all you should definitely check out Yoga Oasis. The food is superb and the environment tranquil and lush. The top floor open air yoga studio, with soft springy floor overlooks beautifull tropical landscapes. Our ecotour was awesome thanks to Kalia our very knowledgeable tour guide. The staff was happy and helpful, I really didn't want to leave. Accomodations range from tents or rooms, to private cabins.
You can see the beautiful cabin we stayed in on the website: ------------------------------

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2004

My wife and I spent a wonderful week at Yoga Oasis. The tent accomodation was enjoyable, the hosts and yoga first rate, great vegetarian food, right in the rainforest...couldn't ask for anything better.
Pahoa is also an interesting little town...very laidback and 60ies in feeling. Great internet cafe for those who need one.

• Stayed January 2004

Been to Yoga Oasis Retreat Center? Share your experiences!