“Delicious food, warm and colorful atmosphere, friendly/good service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kaleo's Bar & Grill

Kaleo's Bar & Grill
15-2969 Pahoa Village Road, Pahoa, Island of Hawaii, HI
808-965-5600
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 28 restaurants in Pahoa
Cuisines: International, Asian fusion
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
“Delicious food, warm and colorful atmosphere, friendly/good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We had the most wonderful meal here two and a half weeks ago. So great that we returned two weeks later. Fresh seafood prepared many ways, beef entrees, fantastic salads, interesting and yummy appetizers, plus music. Rupert Tripp, a local favorite, was playing both Tuesday nights and he plays there regularly. The waitress even does hula to his tunes now and then throughout the evening and she is very good. The decor is so comfortable. My husband had the seafood curry both evenings. I had the fresh fish (ono) with coconut crust, fresh vegetables and rice, and my friend had it the next time with mahi - it was great both times. The kalua pork wontons are delicious too. Go - you won't be disappointed!

90% Recommend
hilo
“A great diner masquerading as a 4 star restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

I really wanted to like this quaint little restaurant. It has great reviews on the Internet and I got good reviews of this place from friends. I love Fusion and I love seafood so I went in expecting to be blown away. The experience was wholly underwhelming. The main problem with this place is the quality of the food relative to the price. Don't get me wrong, the food is good, but nowhere near as good as it should be to be charging $20+ per plate. If I had eaten the same food in a diner setting paying $10-$12 a plate I would have been completely satisfied. But if you're going to charge 4 star prices your execution had better be at that level. Kaleo's is not. I had the Ahi Tempura Roll ($10) for appetizer and the Coconut Crusted Mahimahi ($26) as my entree, two of their signature dishes. The tempura roll was pretty good but slightly overcooked and the ahi used was of average quality, certainly not sushi grade. The Mahimahi was heavily battered, to the point that you lose the flavor of the fish. Also overcooked, I honestly couldn't tell you if the Mahimahi was of good quality or not because of how heavy the batter was. The sauce was a sweet chili sauce that tasted exactly like Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce that you can buy in any grocery store for about three bucks. Disappointing that no soup or salad comes with the entrees. Portion size was good, three large slabs of Mahimahi and served on a bed of brown rice and vegetable medley of carrots, zucchini, and broccoli. Service was slightly above average, probably would have been better but they were quite busy. In summary, yes, the food is good, but not at these prices. Kaleo's is a really good diner masquerading as a 4 star restaurant.

• Visited June 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
hilo
“Outstanding Restaurant!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

Kaleo's in Pahoa has the best appetizers & cuisine around. The service is great the atmosphere is wonderful. They usually have some entertainment and the bar is gorgeous as well. We always take out of town guests here and they are amazed at the flavors. Two thumbs up to the cooks and owners of this fine establishment:)

• Visited May 2011
Pahoa, Hawaii
“Best restaurant in Pahoa, excellent by any standard”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

The live music is always great but can make conversation a challange. Still we love going here. We live near by and it is our most frequented restaurant.
LOVE LOVE LOVE the coconut crusted ono. Plus the specials are usually quite good too. Last night I had a scallop dish that was great. They do a lot of fish, and pasta (what we usually order) but there is plenty of beef and they are known for their ribs.
Very friendly and helpful wait staff (but sometimes they are understaffed--thus the complaiknts about service) We never had a problem with poor service but we are more relaxed than the typical tourist here. Desserts are pretty darn good too. My favorite is wonton wrapped bananas with ice cream--but they do other stuff well too. THis place is tops in our book!

Hilo, Hawaii
“In need of CUSTOMER SERVICE TRAINING !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

Visited last night with a business partner and his wife looking to purchase land in the area. The main dining room had 2 couples seated, but we were told " ALL of the remaining tables were reserved ". They "found" a table for us, after much fuss. This is a common theme in this place... Our waiter would of fit in at a LA diner, as he was, " much too good to be doing this, and only here until he is discovered ". Mind you it was not just him, last week I took friends in and one of the girls refused to look at us when she took our order. FOOD can be GREAT, or POOR depending on the night. CLEAN UP THE STAFF, or loose the last of the locals that eat out !

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere