“every flower possible in the jungle” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kalani

and 1 more site!
You added Kalani to your Saves list
Kalani
2.5 of 5 Specialty Resort   |   12-6860 Kalapana-Kapoho Beach Road, Box 4500, Pahoa, Island of Hawaii, HI 96778   |
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Portland
“every flower possible in the jungle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

I loved this place. it is in rugged Hawaii and it's not like internet is smokin fast here, but it makes you slow down and the air is so clean and fresh and there is every beautiful tropical plant and flower growing here. Walking the trails is breathtaking. Not on the beach, more of a jungle feel but beautiful coastal views depending on your cabin, and just up the street is a stunning secluded beach. That was really cool, no signs, just an amazing secluded beach. Pools is very nice, warm. Staff very kind. Bed was nice. We had a lower end but decent lodge room and price was comparable or lower than other stays in Hawaii, and this had nearby food that was very healthy and good tasting, so in that way we didn't end up eating out at different restaurants and we really liked that aspect of it. An unusually peaceful and healthy place. Classes were great, my wife liked Hula the most. We'd really love to return again soon.

Room Tip: cottages are nice, but the shared lodge room we had was quiet and beautiful. They have quiet policy...
Green Features: top notch environmental practices, would be hard to beat this place, they are doing everything sustainably
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Trabuco Canyon, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

I stayed here with my MiL for Merrie Monarch in April. I booked it on Expedia and chose it because it had good reviews, and was only about 30 minutes from Hilo. First off just because it says it's in Pahoa it's not really in the town. So it's more like 50 - 60 mins from Hilo, but it's a beautiful drive. The resort is off the road that parallels the shoreline. One side of the road is the resort and the other side is a cliff above the ocean. The resort is gated so when you get there you can go in and talk to the people in the first building on your left, which is a small store, and they will open the gate, or just pull up to the gate and press the call button and let them know who you are. Our only bad moment at this resort is dealing with the guy who buzzes you in after hours. He was not very helpful and pretty rude both nights.

You drive up the dirt road after passing the gate and the building you need will be up on the right with parking directly in front. They will get you checked in and there is a small store there for gifts, toiletries, etc. They also have drinking water and pool/beach towels. No towel cards or anything, just take 1 if you need 1. We rented a bungalow that was pretty awesome. 2 simple beds in the main area with a small kitchenette and walk in closet. The bathroom was a descent size with a shelf for your personal items. The shower had a giant window in it and ours faced out to the jungle. This hotel is not for the shy. There are no window coverings on the windows or door in the bathroom. So if someone is walking by while you are in the shower or on the toilet just wave and say "hi". The rest of the bungalow had large windows and doors. All that you could close and lock and all with screens. The room actually comes with earplugs because of all the noises outside but they weren't needed and we enjoyed listening to all the sounds.

We only had 1 meal there and it was very good. Biscuits & Gravy with eggs and fruit for breakfast. Different kinds of fruit and yogurt were available. We didn't buy a meal plan but just purchased the breakfast at the front office.

The pool area was area was a good size and seemed to have lounge chairs or upright chairs under an umbrella for everyone that was there. Some people opted to just lay out on the grassy area by the pool instead. The pool seemed pretty deep which was nice. The 2 jacuzzis are above ground units. It was great to sit out under the stars at night. I highly recommend this. 1 of the jacuzzi's had a problem with it's jets working but the water was still very warm. There is a bathroom, shower and changing area by the pool along with a dry sauna. All seemed to be in good shape. There is also a watsu below the pool area but I didn't really go down there. The whole pool area is clothing optional, and most exercised this option. It was all in good taste, so if you have a problem with this sort of thing I would probably avoid the pool area.

There were a couple of other places on the hotel map like a sweat lodge that we never got to visit. All in all we really enjoyed ourselves and I think my MiL would have stayed longer because they were offering a lei making class Sunday which she wanted to attend but we were leaving early in the morning. Also check out the space market on Saturday's. Eat breakfast there. It looked really good and is only about 10 or so minutes from the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

I had a truly wonderful, magical, healing and transformative experience during my 1 week at Kalani. I was nervous that it would feel too hippy for me, I think, but I ended up really loving everything about the experience. The food was abundant and delicious with tons of options, mostly local foods & very fresh. I loved the communal dining style. My room was very clean and wonderful. The windows are just screens, no glass, but that was fine. The only issue was that everything that was made of paper in my room (my journal, for instance) ended up feeling a little limp by the end of the week from dampness, but nothing ever got wet inside the room. It rained a little every day I was there but was also sunny every day. "The Point" - a spot across the street right at the ocean - is beautiful and so serene. There are tons of classes to choose from each day. I did a different yoga class each day and all the teachers were wonderful & wise. In particular I loved Amma, Maxwell, Jared, Will & Caroline. I also took a Huna Healing class with Stewart and would highly recommend it. He was thoughtful and informative and it was a great experience. There was more internet access than I even had expected - a few different locations around the campus. Cute geckos everywhere. The pool & hot tubs are so relaxing. Be forewarned that most people are nude at the pool, but don't shy away because of that. I wasn't sure if maybe people would be nude EVERYwhere and that was not the case at all. Only by the pool. And everyone is very chill about it. I wore a bathing suit and no one cared about that either. It's a very non judgmental kind of place. I have never felt so supported & loved by a community.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Stayed in tree house 12 for four nights. Overall I had a great time, the staff was friendly, the grounds were very peaceful and well maintained, and the pool & Jacuzzi area was clean and large. Yes there were 'issues' in the room, such as sleeping without windows just screens, and visitors such as a lizard and a cockroach, and a mean looking wolf-spider guarding the front door, also the bathroom could use a total remodel. And given that I was paying a decent amount of money to stay here, and even though the food was healthy and plentiful, I could be annoyed at having to bus my own plates. However, all of those issues became mostly irrelevant when I focused on the overall spirit of the place. This is a wonderful retreat in the middle of a very rustic, isolated, unspoiled part of the Big Island. A 5 star hotel would be totally out of character here, I didn't expect (or pay for) a 5 star resort and as a result I loved my time here !

Green Features: The resort is the most environmentally friendly place I have ever stayed at ! The rainwater as drinking water option was awesome !
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Kauai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

I came for a spiritual program that was good. I don't want quinoa. Some of the food does not taste good. Like to have more vegan choices other than tofu. Difficult to carry the food to the table. Nice they have rice and soy milk available. Grounds are nice. They have a silent eating area but people are talking at that table.

Green Features: good but you have to bus your dishes and its very uncomfortable back there and dirty
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stayed in tree house #12. Wonderful room NOT IN A TREE, but a very nice wooded view of the meadows. Clean. Not enough towels...walk to get extras before 8 pm! Grumpy and rude gal at office refused to hand over fresh towels because it was 8:05pm. Be on time or you will have to deal with nasty rank towels too.
Food was very good, again pricey for what you receive especially breakfast.
Great pool, nice new hot tub, wish jets on hot tubs worked...
Really wonderful massage from Maxwell, slept like a baby that night.
They presented a fun light show one night, 2nd annual illuminati show, lots of trippy LED's all over the lawns and a great dance afterwards. We enjoyed it quite a bit.
Nice retreat but at over $300.00 per night for 2 people I didn't feel it was worth all that.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Coloma, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

My experience at Kalani was incredible. The volunteers were helpful and friendly and the community dining on the Lanai encouraged us to make friends with other guests. Ecstatic dance classes on Sunday are a MUST as well as watching the sunrise at least once down at the "Point." Accommodations were simple yet comfortable. The property itself was beautiful, lots of plants and trees. A great swimming pool, sauna and hot tubs. A place I hope to return to in the future. Mahalo Kalani for your hard work!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pahoa
Dolphin Bay
Hilo Seaside Hotel
Courtyard King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu
Hedonisia Hawaii Sustainable Community

Been to Kalani? Share your experiences!